Non Alkaline Batteries

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Dandy13, Jan 26, 2008.

1. Dandy13

Dandy13 Member

I found a bunch at a local dollar store for my fuzz boxes. My question is are they only good for germanium pedals or do they perform better than regular batteries in other pedals as well. Also, should I worry about them exploding/leaking while inside my pedals?
    I'm going to put them in my '69, Beano, Analogman NKT, and Fuzz Factory and see if they sound any different.

2. jonathansuhr

jonathansuhr Member

The only difference different type of batteries will make is battery life.

Any nonsense about batteries affecting tone is total bs

3. Soothsayer

Soothsayer (Paul) Supporting Member

I disagree. They do make a difference in fuzzes. You will really be able to tell with a Fuzz Factory.

4. DC1

DC1 Member

This is not the case. In the older-style fuzz and booster circuits the internal electrical characteristics of the battery are PRESENT in the audio path...

It most certainly DOES make a difference.

In modern pedals (Barbers for instance) it makes no difference at all.

This is not some secret, nor is it voodoo, nor is it debatable. It's physics, and we know why it works.

DC

5. geetarman

geetarman Member

I agree I notice a big difference in my Germanium Fuzzface clones and old circuit based wahs.

6. WailinGuy

WailinGuy Member

Even for non-fuzzes, the battery type can affect tone. It's more noticeable with some pedals than in others. For example, I can hear a slight difference in my OCD.

Usually, in modern ODs, the differences in tone are not really dramatic, and may not matter to some players. For those who are interested in experimenting, I suggest building (or having a friend who has soldering skills build) a little doo-dad that has a 9V battery connector on one end of a pair of wires and a 5.5mm/2.1mm barrel-type power plug on the other. (Red wire to sleeve, black wire to pin!) This way, you can quickly A/B between the battery inside a pedal and an external battery that you plug-in/unplug. Without, this there's too much time elapsing between battery swaps, and your ears or mind may fool you.

7. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

absolutely makesa big difference. Carbon zinc batteries are a world of difference to alkaline. i think AM hassome clips posted.

8. Montez

Montez Member

Zinc/Carbon batteries will leak if left in a pedal too long. As far as effecting tone of the pedal, it really depends on the pedal's power rail design. The vintage FF, Range Master etc. will sound better with non Alkaline as the battery is actually part of the circuit's R-C network. Some boutique pedals are true to this design and will benefit. However Modern designs i.e. Boss, TS, generally any op amp based pedal, have extensive Capacitor filtering on the Power rails and would cancel out any benefit from battery impedances.

I personally do not recommend non-Alkaline batteries in my pedals as a leaky battery will wreck the electronics.

9. jpagey

jpagey Supporting Member

For me, alkaline in time based effects, carbon in everything else.

10. WailinGuy

WailinGuy Member

I've had problems with alkalines leaking also. I think it probably has to do more with the construction quality than the type of chemicals on the inside. Generally, though, I haven't had any bad experiences with dollar-store type asian-made "heavy duty" 9V batteries.

If I know that a pedal is going to sit in a drawer or in a box for 6 months or more, then, sure, I'll take the battery out. That's just good insurance.

11. IAE

IAE Member

i buy boxes of non-alkalines for my effects,they last for ****ing ages man.
    alkalines are what youd use in digital and high mA draw effects.

ive had a cheap non-alkaline battery in my fuzz factory and woolly mammoth for over a year and they still read over 9volts!