• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Non boutique fuzz pedal with good low end

Lullabies

looking for a new fuzz for variety. My main is a Bass Big Muff PI with the dry switch on and I love using that pedal but figured misewell add a new fuzz for variety or to mess around with. Only issue is I have a store credit that has non boutique pedals. The most boutique they have is Zvex and Fulltone.

What should I be looking at? I want a thick midrangey fuzz that can stack into a low gain OD/boost and has a good clear low end/ maybe a dry blend ? I am not into a lot of pedal stuff so suggestions are appreciated thanks

snow and steel

Silver Supporting Member
I sold a Hendrix fuzz I owned because with humbuckers it didn't seem to work. To get it to sound its very best both controls had to be all the way up - but then it was a HUGE volume boost when you turned it on. If you play clean or with any other effect and then stepped on the fuzz face you suddenly got a huge jump in volume in the middle of a song for no real reason other than that the pedal is on. I tried The silicon and Germanium models and they were even more dull and lifeless.

I ended up needing a fuzz for a quick one day project. I didn't want to spend a ton on it because I might not ever use it again after the project. But I needed something that would really cut through with humbuckers. so when I asked a friend about his thoughts, he said "An obnoxious fuzz that doesn't cost a fortune? Got to be the 'satisfaction fuzz' from EHX".

So I went to my local shop and tried one - WOW, what a buzz saw. "That'll cut through!" I thought, so I bought it. It was only $52.

I played it for some time at home getting prepared for the project and I realized this thing has a real cutting tone, but it has NO bass and sounds real thin - great for single note melody type stuff, but for chords or thicker parts - forget about it.

I read around on the net, hoping to see what most people did, trying to find a way to fix that. I was hoping it was easily fixable with an EQ pedal or something. I read on one board that this pedal's PCB had empty pads in it that are basically left there for people to mod if they like/choose to. So I opened it up and sure enough, there they are. One set of pads for changing clipping diodes and one for adding bass. Well I didn't want to change the tone just the EQ - so doing just the bass mod sounded like a fantastic idea!

So I found I had a 22N square poly cap at the house. I put that cap in the satisfaction fuzz - AWESOME! Super simple, and the sound now is 10 times better! This mod is PERFECT - all the bass of a fuzz face but with a very present and aggressive nature that never gets muddy but never sounds thin either. Plus its all wrapped up in a sound that is not dependent upon the volume either, so I can set it how I like. I think this is one of the best fuzz sounds for humbuckers I've ever heard.

So anyways, the Mod was super simple, it works and sounds great. Now, be aware that doing this mod completely voids your warranty. That being said, any moron could do this mod without screwing it up, and it only cost me a few pennies plus the pedal. Personally I like this way better than any of the fuzz faces or muffs I've owned.

yeah, yeah - I know its not boutique. Hell most of the entire board is SMT... but to me it sounds GREAT.

Just thought I'd pass it along - many have overlooked this pedal and may have dismissed it as cheap, and at first listen in stock mode I would agree. Modded however - it is a completely different animal! So for those of you playing with humbuckers wanting to try a fuzz without spending a ton to find out if you do or don't like the sound, I would HEARTILY recommend the EHX Satisfaction fuzz with the bass mod.

Hope that helps!~

Lullabies

thank for the suggestions folks! I'll check into the Mastotron and Dano cool cat... Masotron would be good cause I see so many of them at my store. I like the idea of the EHX satisfaction but I am not good with modding at all

snow and steel

Silver Supporting Member
thank for the suggestions folks! I'll check into the Mastotron and Dano cool cat... Masotron would be good cause I see so many of them at my store. I like the idea of the EHX satisfaction but I am not good with modding at all

I don't think you could possibly screw up the mod - it built in for you to do. But, If you really are afraid of it, Mail it to me with return postage and I'll mod it for you and mail it back next day. Won't take me but 3 minutes from undoing the fist screw to closing it up with the last screw - its that easy.

Lullabies

I don't think you could possibly screw up the mod - it built in for you to do. But, If you really are afraid of it, Mail it to me with return postage and I'll mod it for you and mail it back next day. Won't take me but 3 minutes from undoing the fist screw to closing it up with the last screw - its that easy.

Hmm I'll look into it I guess if it is as easy as you say ! I do like that maestro fuzztone sound but hated how it cuts bass so much. Thanks for the offer I appreciate it

Trending Topics

Top Bottom