1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Non-boutique (gasp!) 1x12 cabinet suggestions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by shood, May 19, 2011.

1. shood

shood Member

I am closing in on the purchase of a new medium / high gain head, hopefully 50 watts, and I will be tapped-out aside from some off-hand Musicians Friend / Sweetwater gift certificates...

So, while I would love to pick-up a port city or bogner cube to pair with my new head, I will likely have to rely upon my gift certificates -- so what reasonably-priced 1x12s that are available at the larger internet outlets sound the best?

I am leaning towards 1x12 rather than 2x12 due to stage volume considerations. Do not worry too much about speaker wattage, I will likely be replacing swapping in a high watt replacement down the road

2. LPMojoGL

LPMojoGL Music Room Superstar Supporting Member

Egnater Rebel 1x12 with the CL80. It sounds big and clear with a nice low end.

3. JosephN0624

JosephN0624 Member

Is Orange considered boutique?

Just check out Avatar....tons of options and get it how you want.

4. Stu Blue

Stu Blue Member

Multiple speaker cabs are not louder in themselves than single speaker cabs, except at very low frequencies, due to the increased cone area. You need to look at speaker efficiency to see how loud it will be. 97db efficient with 100watts is the same as 50watts with 100db efficient (doubling amp watts gives +3db).

Single speakers tend to be more "peaky" and less pleasant in the audience.

5. Sikor

Sikor Member

Hm, this is interesting.
    I've read many times that doubling the speakers gives +3dB.
    So, how it is it? :huh

6. French Fry

French Fry Member

Very happy with my 1x12 wide body lopoline cab. Also very happy with my 2x12 vintage Avatar convertible cab.

You can find these pretty regularly on craigs list or here in the emporium.

Buying new, both avatar and lopo have reasonable pricing.

7. frank4001

frank4001 Member

One I didn't think I'd like but really do is a Mesa widebody 1x12.

8. Stu Blue

Stu Blue Member

I'd give you odds of 1,000 to one that none of the guys posting that owned a db meter or had actually measured anything. If you were severely over-driving a 1x12 you would notice an increase in clarity of output from adding another similar speaker... +3db is rubbish. Often guys don't know how efficient different speakers they own actually are...... my friends old Matchless Lightning (15 watts) with one 100db G12H easily matches the volume of my JTM45 (30watts) with a 2x12 G12T75 (only 97db each) cab. I just have a deeper bass. With my 102db neo 2x12 cab there's no contest.

9. Thinline_slim

Thinline_slim Supporting Member

I would second the Orange PPC112 since you're looking at the online retailers. I have two of them and they are made quite sturdy and sound great.

For a budget you might look at the Lopo line kits? I built one and it's really compact and it sounds pretty good. More of my travel 1x12 for practices and gigs where I don't have to showcase much.

10. RCM78

RCM78 Member

Avatar is great to deal with. If you want the 1X12 go for it but I would look into there Vintage 2X12!!!

11. james...

james... Member

Avatar seems to be the choice of non-cork sniffers everywhere?

12. KGWagner

KGWagner Member

Well, Avatar makes high-quality stuff at reasonable prices. Contrary to popular belief, you don't always have to spend big bucks to get good gear.

That said, I'm a firm believer in the idea that it only costs a little more to go first class, and you're rarely sorry. But, that doesn't necessarily scale. The cork-sniffers who feel like they have to spend 3 to 5 times as much to go first class are often fooling themselves.

13. nickyjoe

nickyjoe Member

I ran a pair of Mesa 1 x 12 widebody loaded with vintage 30s. I didn't notice any power increase: more low end and less beam. I switched to a 2x12 V30 vert. Big bigger bass and more beam. Now I use a 2x12 3/4 back...better over all response. Lopo seems to make a good cabinet..& they OEM for a few builders.

14. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

i had one of those, picked it up used for $150, and it was a FINE sounding 1x12 cab for the $$$.....really liked it!

15. Rockyrollercat

Rockyrollercat Member

Get some pine boards from home depot and cut them up.

16. SG_Seth

SG_Seth Member

Check out cabs from seismic audio. 1/2 inch 112 plywood cabs for around $100 shipped. Ugly as sin, but sound surprisingly good. I ripped off the the cheesy logo and replaced it with some funky tolex. Also added white piping to class it up. Total cost $110. Great sounding and (now) great looking cab.

17. CharlyG

CharlyG Play It Forward

1x12 for home 2x12 for gig.

Fortunately, I have an Ampeg Portabass 2x12 bass cab w/horn, that has luggage wheels w/telescoping handle, and only weighs 40 lbs. More folks should make a cab like this, Ampeg stopped.