non boutique pedal boards

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Ides of March, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Ides of March

Ides of March Member

Ok I think that most of these pedal boards with the boutique pedals are great and I wish I could get some of these pedals but I can't afford to spend 200 dollars or such on one pedal. So what would be a good distortion
    Overdrive
    Phaser
    Fuzz
    Chorus, a good one for a regular board, nothing fancy but good enough to get the job done for alt/hard rock/metal.

2. TerrorTwilight

TerrorTwilight Member

Overdrive - Boss OD-3
    Chorus - Boss CE-5, but I use the Dano FAB chorus. It's great if you don't use it all the time, and it's only 15 bux, I think. :AOK

If you're trying to save money, you might want to go with an all-Boss setup.

3. Ides of March

Ides of March Member

That's what I'm thinking too, I have a Big Muff, and and Ibanez TS9 and I also have dist from my tube amp but I am getting overwhelmed with all of these choices of pedals and I just wanted a consensus for a good working board. Is the OD-3 better than the TS9?

4. slambango

slambango Active Member

Then he could sell them for $50 each, cause they're noisy crap.

Better off with an "all mxr" or "all ibanez" setup, though you could do better hand picking each one.

Boss makes bedroom-level crap gear for kids, nothing else. They may have put out some decent stuff in the past, but not today.

5. slambango

slambango Active Member

The OCD is probably the most popular OD pedal ever. $140 new
    MXR phase 90 is a great phaser, $80 new
    Fulltone '70 pedal can be had for $150 new, as can other fuzz pedals like the Octafuzz, which I just picked up for $110 used.
    Ibanez makes a nice chorus, but chorus is for wimps!

There ya have it.

6. Hugo Da Rosa

Hugo Da Rosa Silver Supporting Member

Overdrive - Boss Bluesdriver 2
    Dist - used Vintage RI ProCo Rat (you can get them for pretty cheap on ebay these days).

7. sleejay80

sleejay80 Member

Not true:nono

I wouldn't say ALL BOSS pedals, but their long-runner lineup pedals such as the OD-3(flat overdrive, little low/high end cut), SD-1(TS type), BD-2(cleaner/grittier drive), TR-2(MAGNIFICENT tremolo, but yes a little volume drop), delays, etc, etc... With the right guitar, amp, and a few knob tweaks, you can cover pretty much anything to a certain degree. With good tone.

You just have to know which pedals to use, with which guitar/amp.

Yeah if you use MetalZone on some tiny transistor practice amp, and you don't even know how to pick, ofcourse you're gonna sound like crap.

I was on my Bad Cat Classic Cat last night, and my OD-3 stood up pretty well against the Timmy on low-gain overdrive, and I ended up deciding to use the OD-3 over the Timmy for my next gig. Yeah, me too, it was quite a surprise.

If you're gonna be a cork-sniffer and go for that last 2% of your ideal tone, then you have a long, never-ending road ahead of you called the tone quest.

If you're just there to rock the crowd, any decent pedal, Boss, Maxon, MXR... any of that will you more than enough.

Remember, 90% of the tone is in your hands!!

8. slambango

slambango Active Member

Boss tears up your tone. If you have ANY kind of an ear, just try plugging into it. Even my wife could tell the difference in my DD-7 being plugged in or not. It wrecked my whole sound. Sounds like some of these boss lovers are either too stubborn to admit they use crap gear, or just don't know any better.

9. sleejay80

sleejay80 Member

Hey, I'm not saying it doesn't suck tone (although I've never played their DD-7), and I'm not saying they're the greatest pedals out there. And I've had plenty of experiences with high end/boutique pedals.

I'm a Boss hater myself, I try to get them off my board whenever I can. (I hear alot of stuff about their buffers too, good and bad)

But there's a reason some of their pedals have become popular, still on every "good for the price" pedals list, and are modded by boutique modders.

Why? Because they're just basic, affordable stuff with decent tone.
    That's why I'm saying it's unintelligent to rule out Boss because it's Boss.

I used to think the same exact way about Boss, but then my playing improved, my ears got better, then I thought, well those Boss pedals aren't all that bad after all.

I'm sure your wife can tell if the DD-7 is plugged or not, but I'm also sure your wife won't even care if you're a good enough guitar player:)

10. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

How much tone suck from Boss pedals is ever heard at gig volumes?
    I only have 1 so I'm not a Boss fan-boy. Just wondering. I agree with above. You can NEVER eliminate something because of its name or price.
    For example, my #1 guitar these days is a stupid stock $900 American Standard Tele. Ya never know.

11. TerrorTwilight

TerrorTwilight Member

Woah, woah. Calm down, take a deep breath, and realize that Boss pedals are reliable, easy to find if one breaks, and some of them have pretty good tone.

I'm by no means a Boss fanboy. I don't have any in my collection at all. But, if I'm going on the road, do you think for one second I'd bring any boutique pedals? It's just not logical to. You bring what works and what's cheap and easily replaceable. A Fuzz Factory sounds nothing like an FZ-5, but at stage volume, it dosent really matter.

I really wonder about the cork-sniffery on this board. I love boutique stuff, but I love cheap stuff too. You can't dismiss a whole companies like of pedals if you don't like a few, or they don't have that appeal that expensive boutique stuff has.

12. Ides of March

Ides of March Member

The only Boss pedals I use is the Boss DD-5 and the TU-2 tuner. I like those pedals, my original point was for someone who isn't an every weekend or weekday gigging musician but someone who can't shell out 200 bucks for each point of tone on his board. I would like an OCD or a Hot Cake or Zendrive but they are kind of out of reach right now. And Zvex are just ****ing rediculous with their prices. I would basically like a good distortion and overdrive, I just bought a Big Muff Pi but I may take it back, I also have an Ibanez TS9 tubescreamer.

13. Hugo Da Rosa

Hugo Da Rosa Silver Supporting Member

A little judgmental there aren't we? I know a ton of pro musicians that use Boss pedals and have developed a tone that people on these kinds of forums constantly strive for. Yes, Boss pedals aren't the greatest, but as spoken earlier, they are reliable, inexpensive, and of decent quality. With all due respect, I don't think these guys became pro and attracted so many people to want their sound because they don't have "any kind of ear".

14. sleejay80

sleejay80 Member

The max I ever have is 3 (including tuner), but I doubt anyone will be able to tell the difference if they did a blind test.

Yeah. Mine is a stupid stock MIJ Mustang reissue. Do they sound "good"? No. But do I love how it sounds? Yes! That's all that matters really.

So true...

I'm more of a gig person rather than a recording person, so I know that the crowd, the PA person, your band members, and sometimes even yourself will ever notice/care about those slight differences during a gig.

It's all a mental thing when it comes to live music. It helps me more to know that Boss pedals will never break, rather than knowing a fragile boutique pedal will sound sliiiiiiightly better. lol

15. highfive!

highfive! Member

Distortion - "Vintage" Rat. $100 used
    Overdrive - Barber LTD, $80 used
    Phaser - Small Stone Nano. $50 used
    Fuzz - Monsterpiece NPN. $70 used
    Chorus - :dunno I don't do chorus, but Boss is prob ok here. Robert Smith says so.

16. sleejay80

sleejay80 Member

Yeah, let's get back to the point...lol

TS9 is a good, basic, legendary overdrive, so maybe you have that part covered.
    I also recommend Boss OD-3 if you don't want bass loss the TS-9 has(which is not always bad).
    ProCo RAT is a good basic(and extreme if you want it to be) distortion.

17. ptown65

ptown65 Member

I have a Boss DD-5 w/ Analogman mods, a Boss TU-2 tuner and recently bought a Boss VB-2 and they sound awesome. I am lovin' the VB-2 for just a touch of warble and a touch of boost. I have them in a loop so when they are not being used they are out of the signal chain. I am probably going to pick up a Boss CE-2 down the road.

18. TerrorTwilight

TerrorTwilight Member

:AOKIt could also be your overdrive if you keep the gain low.

MXR Distortion+ is good, too. It's more like an overdrive, though.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2008
  19. sa1126

sa1126 Member

Here is a list that could cover all your needs. I gigged with a similar rig in college.

Boost: DOD 250 or YJM308, DOD FX-10
    Overdrive: Boss SD-1 or Digitech Bad Monkey
    Distortion: Danelectro Fab Distortion (still a favorite of mine) or Proco Rat
    Fuzz: Little Big Muff or Danelectro French Toast
    Tremolo: Danelectro Tuna Melt
    Chorus: Arion SCH-z
    Phaser: MXR Phase 90
    Delay: Boss DD-3
    Flanger: DOD FX-75
    Vibrato: Behringer UV-300 or Danelectro Chicken Salad (for univibe sound)
    Reverb: Digitech Digiverb
    Tuner: Arion Stage Tuner

20. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

I agree completely. I see many people hating on the Hardwire pedals just because they are DigiTech, sometimes without even playing them, or even hearing someone play these pedals. It really is too bad...

Boss might not make the best sounding pedals, but tons, and I mean TONS of boutique pedals are versions of boss stuff, with a different resistor here, and a different cap there, nothing than modding wouldn't fix.

Good distortion, echo and chorus:
    Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde
    Visual Sound H2O