Non-compressed, open sounding overdrive

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by donbarzini, Jan 30, 2006.

1. donbarzini

donbarzini Member

I need some advice please. I've tried numerous overdrive pedals. I am in search of an OD that has minimal compression and sounds open and organic. I've tried The Keeley SD-1, Keeley TS-9, Carl Martin PlexiTone, Analogman Silver Modded SD-1, stock Maxon OD-9 and Analogman Silver Modded Maxon OD-9. At this point is seems that the Silver Modded Maxon OD-9 running at 12V gets me close. I'm just looking for other options based on experience. Thanks.

2. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

3. onemind

onemind Member

I would suggest giving the new Fulltone FDII Mosfet edition a listen, at certain settints it can be quite transparent.

4. Phil M

Phil M Member

It's obvious you'r looking for the TS-inspired sound. The best I've heard, though I certainly haven't heard them all, is the TC Jauernig DGTM overdrive with the toggle switch set to the right.

I heard that one and it was all I needed to hear. I now own two Gristle Kings (the DGTM and Luxury Drive clean boost housed in a single pedal).

5. Rollo Timbre

Rollo Timbre Member

In the tubescreamer world, I'd say the Red Snapper is one of the more natural sounding overdrives with a very light compressed feel.

6. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

+1 or timmy

7. dave s

dave s Member

Fulltone OCD might get you there as well.

I've owned and used some of the pedals you identified. Many of which provided much more gain than that 'clean, open OD' you say you're looking for.

Playing single coils or an HB equipped guitar?

dave

8. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

For a mild OD tone check out the Barber Silver LTD, Heavy OD the Fulltone OCD has a great raw tone to it!

9. riffpowers

riffpowers Member

I 2nd the maxon od820.

10. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

+1 on the TC Jauernig DGTM. You get two ODs in one box for a great price! Right toggle is very uncompressed, kinda gritty tone, yet it has a relatively flat EQ compared to most TS.

I've never heard a maxon OD-820, but was blown away by the OD-808. If the OD-820 is a suped up version, by all means!

11. Wooley

Wooley Member

Yeah, I think you're right, I think something with a MOSFET circuit is gonna fix this guy's wagon. Lot's of choices in that arena.

12. donbarzini

donbarzini Member

Thanks for some ideas guys. Both my guitars are low-medium output humbucker equipped so the pedals need to be humbucker friendly.

13. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I use humbuckers, so you can keep that in mind with my suggestions :AOK

14. meterman

meterman Member

The obvious answer to me is the TIM, the most uncompressed, natural sounding OD I've ever played. I don't think he wants TS derivatives, he says he's tried a bunch of them and found them lacking. Go for the TIM or the Timmy, I think that's what you're looking for. Another good choice is the Rx Electronics Germ which has a clean boost and OD in one, great sounding pedal with minimal compression....

15. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I kinda know what is meant here, and have no experience with the Tim or Timmy, but everyone claims it to be very little compressed.

That said....ALL OD, and Distortions are by definition compressed.
    They clip. (someone in another thread wrote a great definition, mentioning that summarizes, fuzz clip with transistor, Distortion often with diodes...can be designed to round off the wave some, but the nature of the diode is going to clip, and OD's clip sometimes with diodes, more actively, but also with using them fed back into the amplifier....but STILL it is clipping you are hearing that is the nature of OD and distortion...the only exception I can think of would be a boost that boosts but tries to keep faithful to the original signal as much as possible...but even there, latency and the nature of it will end up clipping or compressing also.

They work like hard-knee compressors.

So though I think I know what is meant, WHY look for an OD that doesn't "OD", instead aren't you really after then a booster?

16. filmosound

filmosound Member

The LTD sounded compressed to me. I had the black version but I doubt the silver one has different compression characteristics.

17. meterman

meterman Member

Good point. I think he's probably looking for an overdrive that doens't squash all the dynamics and feel out the guitar signal like so many do. That's what I like about the TIM, at low gain settings it is like a clean boost with very little compression at all, or you can set it for lots of gain and moderate compression, midhump, etc. Very versatile IMHO

18. dbx

dbx Member

Auggh, lot's of choices...gotta second the Timmy, or the MI Audio Blues Pro, or even the BJFE Little Green Wonder...

:cool:

19. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Exactly! This is what I'm hearing about the Tim, and I have found (as the poster below you mentioned) in the Blues Pro, that you have the flexibility to give it gain without OD, or very little.

So that is really what seems to be the goal here, a booster, but a good one that can go into light compression.

In both the Tim's, and the Blues Pro (and to my meaning, the Jekyll & Hyde) you can "go that low" with the OD part.

Some OD's are just OD from the git-go.

20. jgyn

jgyn Member

Lately I've been using a Prescription Electronics Rx Overdriver (clone of Colorsound Overdriver) as a non compressed OD.