Non Country Tele players on the forum??

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by KWthinline, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Halowords

Halowords Member

You rang?

I have a G&L ASAT Bluesboy, does that count? I have started playing that quite a bit lately. I'm more a rock player drifting into acoustic, some Jazz, some folksy stuff. I am mostly into Post-Rock/Post-Metal and overdriven Rock & Roll by and large. Country generally speaking does not interest me, although some Blue Grass and Folk music does. I think you can blame ISIS in part for me wanting a Tele-style, just for the clarity in high-gain and something with a bit more top-end and clarity than a Les Paul (or in my case a Heritage H-150) is generally known for.

-Cheers

2. Brian

Brian Member

I rotate through my four lefthand Tele,s, Japanese No-caster,Fender 2012 52 Telecaster reissue, MJT two pickup Esquire,MJT 50,s part casters I will never
    understand people who don,t own at least one. I will play a Johnny Cash number now and then but am just not that interested in modern country playing.

3. jpervin

jpervin Supporting Member

I own 3 Teles and none of them have seen a country lick (to my knowledge). :)

But they do make great rockabilly guitars, in addition to (almost) all other genres.

4. oldtelefart

oldtelefart Member

The blues-rock band I'm in covers the Stones' Sweet Virginia, but that's about as country as I get. Never got the hang of banjo rolls.

5. monty

monty Member

Count me in. Long time player, never played a full country song in my life.
    Teles just feel right for me. I'm a rock guy.

6. bismark

bismark Member

My tele is loaded with P90's, without the pesky annoying twang. And I hate country music. With vengeance. :mad:

7. russiancrowe

russiancrowe Member

I currently have four tele's and I don't play country. I play Crowes, Stones, Dead, Allman Brothers, The Band type music. I love real country, what some people call outlaw country, can't stand the crap country radio plays these days.

8. Thump

Thump Member

My Tele's have been used for rock, blues, jazz, funk, alternative rock, and Americana among other things. The only country they've seen is outlaw country, Cash, Jennings, etc.

9. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

Well, I'm not sure what country even is anymore.

I sure don't play any CMT tunes, that's for sure.

10. NewbyRock023

NewbyRock023 Member

Tele is one of the most versatile guitars out there. It'll do anything except maybe extreme metal stuff, and even then a PUp swap would change that

11. jazzrat

jazzrat Member

Hot Rod 52 here. I play some country'ish things but not legit stuff.
    Rock, fusion and jazz, hard to beat a Tele for versatility

12. tonecontrol

tonecontrol Member

pretty much rock,blues and metal with mine, never thought I`d see the day me playing a Tele :)

13. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Silver Supporting Member

I play garage rock or 'indie' (whatever that means).
    Played this same old Tele in Hardcore band in the 80's.
    I will admit I like to try everything with my Tele, including pseudo country licks in our current very non-country band.

14. QQQ

QQQ Silver Supporting Member

Add me to the list as well.

15. The Illustrated Bassist

The Illustrated Bassist Member

I'm a jazz-fusion guy with some rock thrown in for entertainment. I have 3 Teles - 2 MIM Standards and a MIA Standard. Love the aggressiveness of a Tele compared to a Strat. My first e-guitar was a Strat - they're great guitars, but they can't scream and growl at the same time like a Tele can.

I don't get along well with floating bridge guitars, no matter how heavy the block is, its still going to *move*. Unless you need to do dive bombs, and I don't do that style.

The amazing thing to me is it took me the better part of 30 years as a guitarist to discover Teles. I *love* the design, I love the guitar. Its very difficult to accidentally hit the pickup switch or mess up the volume/tone controls, compared to a Strat. Fender now has added the tummy cut to the higher end models and that's the only improvement the guitar really needs IMHO.

[​IMG]

16. groove machine

groove machine Member

I put together a Tele specifically for hard rock. Dimarzio Pre B1 bridge and a cheapo GFS mini humbucker in the neck. I'll eventually replace the GFS with something else but it does the job for now.

17. jazzguitarfan

jazzguitarfan Member

I have an 88 American Standard, G&L Asat Classic, and a frankentele of sorts a local shop built. I play jazz and what Itunes seems to categorize as "soul jazz". I have a bunch of more jazz oriented guitars (ES-175, 335, Howard Roberts Fusion and Comins GCS-1), but the teles get played a bunch and have been used on my last 5 gigs. Sadly, I can't play country, but wish I could. I came a bit late to the telecaster, but think they're great for just about anything, including jazz.

18. The Illustrated Bassist

The Illustrated Bassist Member

And unlike a hollowbody, you can crank the daylights out of them with no feedback. :)

19. winterblu

winterblu Supporting Member

I play Rock, blues, a little surf, no country at all.
    About 50/50 between my Bruce Herron Custom Tele and my Gene Baker B1.

20. 67blackcherry

67blackcherry Member

I own a Cunetto era 'nocaster relic, 62AVRI and I just picked up a B-Bender Tele and I don't play country at all.
    Top 40 classic to new rock (Zeppelin to Muse) and I play on a worship team from time to time.
    Tele's ROCK....and while I try to incorporate some country elements into my playing style (chicken pickin', double stops etc) I don't play country at all.