non-expensive Mic pre recommendation?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Sir Ricardo, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Sir Ricardo

Sir Ricardo Member

Hello!

I've been recording my microphone direct into my M-Auidio Firewire 410 (using its internal preamp).

I'd like to move up the food chain a bit.

What are some decent, non-too-expensive mic preamps? I only need a single channel.

thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Richard

2. JeffE

JeffE Member

FMR Really Nice Preamp (RNP), approx $500. I don't own one (yet), but people who do compare them favorably with preamps costing much more. Do a search on "Really Nice Preamp" in this forum for more info.

http://www.fmraudio.com/RNP8380.htm

3. RonH

RonH Member

I would check out the Rane ms1b. Really nice pre and only runs about 150.00 new. Sounds great on acoustic and vocals.

Ron

4. KillerV

KillerV Member

I got a RNP earlier this year and it absolutely ROCKS. Do not be fooled by the pricetag, which is lower than most other high-end pre's - the RNP is a quality piece of gear. Loads of folks feel that if it was in a fancy box you'd pay $1000-$1500 for it easily.

5. Willdance

Willdance Member

rnp. Unmatched at that price.

6. Tonefish

Tonefish Member

Hah...didn't expect to open up this thread and find everyone but one other saying the same thing I will......

FMR RNP...I learned the hard way..bought some other cheaper ones first:nono

save yourself some cash and go at least straight there.

7. zydeco papa

zydeco papa Member

ART VoiceChannel. Sounds phenomenal, I demoed one and will buy it as soon as the need arises.

8. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for

+1 on the RNP. There are other preamps of equal quality in its price range, but they're mono, not stereo. And a good stereo preamp opens up the whole world of stereo mic techniques.

A lot of people grumble about the coarse 6db gain steps (a cost-cutting measure so they can use inexpensive 12 step switches), but I really like it. First, it gets me away from fussing too much over levels, when 24 bit digital gives me so much downward room. Second, I've started adding notes about exactly what my gain levels are to tracks, and I can precisely repeat them. This is especially useful because I do a lot of direct tracking of guitars. Just write down what guitar and pickups I used, and the gain level, and I can punch in later if I want with very little hassle.