Non-Fender/Vox clean platform amp options

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Bentayuk, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Bentayuk

Bentayuk Supporting Member

I'm looking at non-fender/Vox clean platform amp options, has anyone tried the Mesa Lonestar or Blackstar Artisan amps? Esp how do they work with pedals?

2. dognmoon

dognmoon Supporting Member

I played the Mesa LoneStar for about a year and have an Artisan head now (that I'm looking to part with). I really loved the Mesa, especially with a strat and a compressor pedal. The Artisan sounds reeeeally good but I just found a new guitar that I think I want more and I have some loaner amps that will tide me over until I can get something else.

Both amps worked well with pedals, unless you're a fuzz face nut. I thought with overdrive and distortion they were good but so far, they've both been a little finicky with any of the fuzzes that have a more aggressive top end. Others' experiences my be different, but as a strat player, they always gave/give me some trouble.

3. 71strat

71strat Member

For a less than 50 Watt amp the Metropoulos GMP45 is my favorite. ( 38 Watts ) For 100 Watts my favorite is the Metro GMP45/100. Hands Down.

Next Germino/Park/Wallace/Mojave/Friedman. Not in any particular order.

For a different voicing.

HI Tone. Take your pick. + their speakers are 2nd to none.

4. buzzp

buzzp Member

I love my Supro clean tone, love it even more with a fuzz face. Once you break in the speaker(s) you're golden.

5. gearscrubs

gearscrubs Supporting Member

6. Custom50

Custom50 Member

7. David Garner

David Garner Member

Mesa for sure. Glorious cleans.

8. Meriphew

Meriphew Member

9. ROKY

ROKY Member

Up there in Canada a Traynor YBA-1A or YGL-3A head should be easy to find and sound great with pedals .

10. MrKite89

MrKite89 Member

This and Ampeg, Music Man, Supro, Tone King...others? Maybe Gibson? Gretcsh? Old bass, keyboards, PA amps...hybrid\solid state preamp amps like the Vox 7120 or cheaper alternatives...

11. Rango

Rango Supporting Member

I've been wanting to try a Port City Pearl as a clean pedal platform. Brian Wampler speaks highly of them and I like his "ear" for tone. ;)

12. Pablomago

Pablomago Member

13. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Everyone always talks about Marshall for the crunch and gain (and for good reason) but I also think that their cleans are great.

I have a Bluesbreaker RI and think the cleans sound fantastic. Obviously not that similar to the Fender tones but something a little different.

14. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Your in Canada, look at Traynor ycv-40wr, yes it's 2 chan but their both very usable with pedals if you dial them in as clean and edge of clean/boost, sep EQ for each chan. Clean they got kind of this Fender Showman meets jtm45 clean kind of thing going on. 5881 power section, loop and spring reverb.