• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Non Marshall/EVH amps that do the "brown sound"?

CoryA

Hey all,
I'm looking for alternatives to the mainstream choices for Van Halen tones.
I'm aware of dimed Plexis, Soldanos, Peaveys and EVH amps that he'd used. I'd like to hear about amps that can get close to his sound, regardless of era.
Thanks!

ufguy73

Silver Supporting Member
Bray, Suhr SL68/PT, Friedman BE/SS, Metropoulos MP, Bogner Helios, Landry...

so, so many out there - it’s a pretty common grail tone that many have tried to serve

ufguy73

Silver Supporting Member
Also, curious why not any of the actual amps (i.e. the ‘mainstream’, obvious choices)?

RCM78

My Bogner Ecstasy gets close with Greenbacks.
My Suhr PT15gets even closer.
The Suhr SL68 was built specifically to get Ed’s early tone.

CoryA

Also, curious why not any of the actual amps (i.e. the ‘mainstream’, obvious choices)?
I'm looking for more to explore. I love to learn about new gear and see what it has to offer. Right now, I can't get enough of EVH info and the amp is a massive part of the sound. Seeing new alternatives and different routes is super interesting to me

Daytona57

I have achieved the brown sound with a Fender Pro Jr IV Tweed and 1x12 cab with a Cannabis Rex. Pedals used were Gain Changer, Swollen Pickle, Tuna Melt and Diamond Counterpoint delay.

My bandmate playing his new EVH Wolfgang Special into my rig.

Edit: upload video.

Last edited:

TelecasterBlues

Silver Supporting Member
You can get there with Mesas...my goofy little small box F30 head definitely can do its own rendition of that.

Viper 900

Brunetti 059, it’ll brown out with ease.

cornford rk100, I got some good approximations of the brown sound with the rk, although it’s a bit drier.

TheOtherEric

Silver Supporting Member
From all my research and watching dozens of videos, the amp maker who really nails it is Bray with his 4550 and Coco 50. The Coco is really neat that he voiced Vol1 channel for brown sound, but made Vol2 channel more like a traditional Plexi, just less muddy so more useable. And I think you can mix them. The two foot switch buttons adds a lot of utility too, much like a real two channel amp. Getting mine in a week or two.

Jabby92

I was surprised to find out but the Mesa Dual Rectifier (any of them) with the variac engaged.. mids up.. treble rolled back some.. good PAF humbucker and on the Modern mode at medium gain settings does a really killer brown sound. The new multi-watt one especially as Mesa really cleaned the low end up on this version and made it brighter overall.

This is a good sample of an older 3 channel model.. stock vs modded. The modded one sounds a lot like the newest Rectos but it basically does that sound pretty much instantly:

Multi-watt sample.. 8:13:

MHG

Definitely check out the videos of Mojave Ampworks. I'm not 100% sure, but I think you can still order amps from him. I've owned three of them, and they're gorgeous amps.

M@tt C

Silver Supporting Member
PWE Event Horizon can get pretty brown...... other suggestions above are also excellent choices too! Another is the 3rd Power Citizen Gain.

Trending Topics