Non-Marshall sounding high gain pedals

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by theGhost, Dec 18, 2009.

1. theGhost

theGhost Supporting Member

The pedal doesn't have to be a "metal" pedal, but in my searching I've noticed a ridiculous amount of pedals all trying to get either what they call the "cranked J_M" sound or that "brown" sound or that "marshall-in-a-box" sound.

I'm not saying I hate the marshall sound (I just bought a BYOC Shredder), but I am wondering about pedals that are decidedly non-marshall sounding. For example, I love the sound of Steve Fryette's amps (whatever you wanna call them). Where's the "pitbull-in-a-box" pedal?

Also, I know there's a couple out there whose creators have explicitly stated some of the sounds they were going for which were more Bogner or Mesa or something, but I wanna know about more of these.

The only ones that really come to mind at the moment that I know of are the Tonefreak SEVERE and the Suhr Riot - probably because they are the flavor of the month right now. What other pedals would you characterize as "definitely NOT Marshall-like?

2. soopajeanmi

soopajeanmi Member

3. Brian Maestro

Brian Maestro Member

FWIW

[​IMG]

I'd never buy one.

There are also a ton of Dumble-in-a-box pedals and at least one TrainWreck-in-a-box. Hang out a while, you'll see.

4. sutherland

sutherland Supporting Member

MI Audio Tube Zone
    AMT California
    AMT Du Hast
    AMT B1 (Bogner-esque)
    AMT P1 (Peavey 5150-esque)
    AMT R1 (Mesa-esque)
    Catalinbread Super Charged Overdrive (Orange-esque)
    Hughes and Kettner Tube Factor
    Menatone None More Black (Diezel-esque?!?)

There are plenty more out there, but these are some of the few non-Marshall-esque pedals that immediately come to mind.

5. theGhost

To the rocktron... I thought about buying one of those about 5 years ago, but the clips I found sounded like ass.

And yea... I know about the AMT pedals for sure, as well as the character series from Tech 21. thanks for the other suggestions too...

6. Brian Maestro

Brian Maestro Member

As do the amps they simulate, so you might say that they sound exactly like they supposed to.

7. theGhost

clearly you have no appreciation for a rectifier then.

The zombie is supposed to be a "rectified" distortion emulating the Dual Rec. I owned a single and a triple for a time, and while I can understand how they're not everyone's cup of tea, they still sound very badass. I don't think anyone who really appreciates guitar tone could honestly say that a properly dialed rectifier sounds like ass...

8. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

Ghost check out my review of the Tone Freak Severe. Basically, it is a high gain Bogner/VHT style high pedal, and just slays.

9. theGhost

that reference to it in my OP was because of your review ;) although I do admit that the clips I heard on his website for the SEVERE were pretty unimpressive for me personally because the lowend sounded chunky and mushy instead of tight and articulate as I prefer, but I would definitely agree that it does not seem marshall-esque to me

10. dan-electro

dan-electro Member

anything "dumble" voiced. zendrive, wampler ecstacy, hao rumble mod, ethos.
    you might also try something with a preamp tube like a tube driver / zen 2. Not at all "marhsally"

Someone said the barber small fry - which is interesting... I think you can dial in marshall-esque tones on that one (not as much as a super sport, but there is still a little marshall in there) but you can also get pretty close to a tighter gain zendrive sort of flavor.

happy hunting

11. Godspeed64

Godspeed64 Member

12. Purplexi

Purplexi Member

This is a good thread because it addresses a need where there is too much emphasis on one avenue of the industry. For instsance, it would be a an interesting challenge to get a pedal to simulate the Hiwatt Amp w/multiple cabs tone. Or anything to replicate amps generally unavailable like Supro, Standel and WEM. Rare Fender brown face's too, great idea!!

13. TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies Member

WIIO... cranked HiWatt... Once you can stop doing windmill A chords..... it actually ROCKS!

14. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

Oh man, lol.

Well, tell you what, we are expecting snow over the weekend in DC, so I can probably get some better Severe clips for you.

Name a few songs in the vein of what you are looking for and I'll play them through the Severe so you can get a better idea of the pedal. I can use a LP, Strat, 335, PRS, whatever you have.

15. mspizziri

mspizziri Member

I'm also looking for the same thing, trying to find something that even though high gain still has the nice tight crunch of a Deizel or Soldano amp.
    It seems every pedal I check out is a "metal" high gain fizzy mess, or a marshall in a box with high mids and a loose bottom end

I really like the tone of the Severe, just can't seem to find a Tone Freak dealer in Canada

16. vintage66

vintage66 Member

Which one is a Trainwreck in a box?