• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Non music and audio home studio essentials?

METAL

Other than audio and musical gear in a home studio, what are some essentials to keep the atmosphere looking nice and to spark some more creativity?

pipelineaudio

For me its velocity, or maybe said as ergonomics. The quicker, and least effort possible to get what I hear in my head out of the speakers the better. Even in studio situations at high dollars, it can have a real effect. The more difficult or inconvenient it is to set up a vocal mic and headphone mix, for instance, the less likely you are to give some new vocal line a try. I like to have all the basics always micd up and ready to go

bt2513

For me...
  • A decent power conditioner/surge protector for lightening storms (never thought it could happen to me until it did)
  • Strand lights of some sort (clear C7 globe bulbs for me)
  • A lava lamp (my wife's contribution - it was hers growing up)
  • Concert posters on the wall
  • A clean esthetic for the desk (I have a very simple but very functional, modular, modern DIY desk solution)
  • A few succulents
  • Cable management (get a pack of Velcro cable ties from Amazon and go to town - makes such a difference)
  • Along those lines... get the right cables/stands/etc. for what you need - stop fighting that mic stand that won't hold its position, get a longer cable instead of compromising your layout or stretching your cables, replace that squeaky chair that keeps ruining your takes - you deserve better

Antmax

I like windows and lots of light so I can look outside and not feel like a mushroom.

bt2513

I like windows and lots of light so I can look outside and not feel like a mushroom.

Yea - in my case the window is in the wrong place but I'd rather take it and deal with it than leave it. Along those lines, I would like to add small green plant buddies to keep you company. Succulents make good critical listeners.

What kind of lamps or lighting do y'all like for ambient lighting? I would like to have a low light setup for when I work at night. During the day I mainly work by daylight.

bt2513

I've got some of these hanging up where my guitars are hung...

lumabase-christmas-string-lights-39101-64_400_compressed.jpg

Papanate

Other than audio and musical gear in a home studio, what are some essentials to keep the atmosphere looking nice and to spark some more creativity?

As @pipelineaudio said the more seamless the expierience
the easier it becomes to create. I also think having a nice
visual environment and comfortable furniture helps one feel relaxed and indirectly enables ideas to flow.

I personally do not like studio environments - machines, acoustic material, a large of windows and sunlight etc...anything I can do to keep the room bright and comfortable is a big win in my book.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom