• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Non-MXR based phasers?

Agileguy_101

So it seems that in the phaser market, nearly all of the products out there are clones of an MXR phaser of some type. There are exceptions, but they seem to be few and far between. The first one that comes to my mind is the Empress Phaser, but that's way more than I, and most people, need or even want from a phaser. I know that as far as circuits that are worth cloning, the Mu-trons come to mind, but I can't think of anything else. Anybody have some suggestions?

Oh, and I saw this yesterday and I'm smitten. Screw the reverb, this is my next and last modulation purchase. Supposedly it's based on a Mu-tron of some sort (not too familiar with Mu-tron stuff, all I know is the Bi-phase).

scolfax

I think Keeley's is an updated version of the old Maestro phaser. Not the same as an MXR.

8len8

Silver Supporting Member
Mad Professor Tiny Orange Phaser. Kinda like an old Maestro.

hclapp219

A bunch are based on the EHX Small Stone, like the Whetstone. Subdecay Quasar isn't based on any classic phaser as far as I know.

urizen

Silver Supporting Member
As I said elsewhere, a Moog 6/12 Stage Phaser: it's remarkably deep and runs a gamut from remarkably musical to WAAAY beyond WTF-Was-That?!? ----I haven't yet fully realized its potential in the 2 1/2 years I've owned it, and it plays VERY well w/ me other little and big mix o' boxes. I think it might be el ultimo.

Last edited:

scolfax

Mad Professor Tiny Orange Phaser. Kinda like an old Maestro.

Whoa! I didn't know that! Will have to check it out. Always wanted a Keeley but they were too pricey.

BTW the Maestro was my first pedal. Cost me $70 and I sold it for $70 years later like an idiot. Sounded like angels but there was a ton of hiss.

Top Bottom