non-reverb amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by brad347, Mar 19, 2006.

1. brad347

brad347 Member

I wonder if I'm alone but I love non-reverb amps. Since turning the reverb OFF I can hear more of what I really sound like, more definition in the attack (a must for lots of rhythm guitar sounds) a better 'spank' on funk and similar styles, more of my articulations... etc etc...

ALSO (mainly) non-reverb amps are smaller and lighter than their reverb-equipped counterparts.

AND cheaper. Just look at Deluxes.

I turned off the reverb and never looked back. Finally I'm selling my twin reverb and that was my last reverb-equipped amp. I don't own a single reverb amp anymore!

I do have a '64 6G15 fender reverb unit though for when I need reverb for some reason... but I find myself increasingly turning it OFF. Studio engineers and producers never complain... neither do bandleaders. In a club the reverb often just muddies it up anyhow... usually there is more than enough "natural" reverb.

Sometimes reverb can be a crutch or habit. How many others have turned the reverb OFF and never looked back?

2. Wes_k

Wes_k Member

I recently turned down the verb and really haven't missed it much at all...

3. dankayaker

dankayaker Supporting Member

My main amp has no reverb. I guess I miss it a little when playing at home or low volumes but for live playing, I never use verb . . . recently got an analog delay with modulation (just use a touch) and frankly it sounds better than any reverb I've heard.

4. homerayvaughan

homerayvaughan Member

I went through years of having reverb as a bit of a crutch, mostly a digital rackmount unit. Once I figured out I wanted to clean up my technique I turned all reverb off, and kind of got used to it that way. It's alot more raw and unforgiving sound, but it made me play alot cleaner. I am only now coming back to reverb amps, but it is used sparingly. Just love that Fender reverb sound!:AOK

5. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

I completely disconnected the reverb from my Savage Blitz 50 head. The sensitivity went up by at least 15/20%. M.E.

6. mbratch

mbratch Member

I have a BF Princeton I recently bought. I've always used reverb as an intentional effect, not something that's "always on". There are times when I like it, but not always. And when it's on, sometimes it's just a little. I know sound people who want to wash everything in reverb and it drives me crazy. Turns everything to mush.

7. SuperReverb2

SuperReverb2 Member

My Fender 57 Tweed Twin (I've had it about a year now) cured me of "verbitis" in a big hurry. Mind you, my recently arrived Fuchs mod has a GREAT sounding reverb that I really enjoy.

Chuck

8. fabiomayo

fabiomayo Member

I don't have it on my only amp. My second amp on order won't have it. When I had it, you could hardly hear it.

That being said, it's likely that my third amp (still getting those coins together) will have a reverb since I miss it at times. Then again, I'm probably better off getting an off-board reverb unit. Generally, I don't like it... Just for the effect or maybe a tiny for ambiance...

9. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

my hot cat only has verb on the clean channel. some days i leave it on, some days i dont. its the same with all effects for me. i could be happy with no effects but some days i put them on to change it up a little.

ok, maybe i NEED the tube tape echo, but thats it.

10. BozoTone

BozoTone Member

I don't miss it at all with the Super 17. I do think it has something to do with cab design and materials. The pine and birch seem to be very resonent. For a combo, the cab is fairly deep and tall adding some cubic inches. There is also a lot of harmonic content in the amp cicuitry adding to the swirl.
    BZT

11. clarkram

clarkram Member

my main amps are non verb, (Intruder, Blackcat, Constellation inbound) and I prefer the dry sound most of the time. A few years ago I purchased a Shiva with verb. I owned the amp 3 years and I think I used the verb 3 times.

If I have to have verb I use a Meteor II.

clark

12. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

If there was only one effect I could have for the rest of my life and I'd have to give up everything else, it would be reverb. I love it, it simply sounds awesome. And I love Fendery spring reverb the best which, to me, is a true effect, NOT some digital attempt to model natural room reverb which I don't like in a guitar amp or effect.

I own two non-reverb amps, they're fine, that's why I bought and use my Holy Grail.

13. bscepter

bscepter Member

After playing Marshalls and Voxes for years, I played a Fender briefly (before my Hayseed, which is also sans 'verb), and having reverb sounded weird to me! I think it's great as an effect -- like trem or a phase shifter -- but having it on all the time is overkill, IMHO (unless you're in a surf band, of course).

14. brad347

brad347 Member

the 6G15 unit is great. I find that you can turn the dwell down a bit, the mix down a bit, and the tone to pretty dark and it adds a nice ambience without being 'obvious.'

But I rarely use that even.

I remember being about 18 and hearing a recording of myself and being really surprised at how much reverb there was and how terrible it sounded! Maybe that made an impression that stayed with me resulting in my fondness for non-reverb amps.

15. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Very well said. Agree completely.

When I was really young (17-18) I DID use reverb as sort of a crutch, but our band got high enough in volume that it didn't muddy at the higher volumes (or else I toned it down...don't remember)

Later on I started toning it down, keeping just a hint of verb. I still do to this day, and I like using it...this is the thing with ALL these kinds of discussions (effects vs. no effects, verb vs. no verb, etc.) that a great musician (I think) uses every bit that is available. I usually really dislike over the top reverb use with a passion...it seems to make it lifeless, and washes too much...it colors everything and muddies the mix, but verb set just right is cool at times.

I played a Bassman recently, and know what folk mean about it having it's own verb, just because of cabinet resonance. That amp, if I get it, I won't need reverb on.

I have a Hot Rod DeVille and I HATE it's reverb but only because it is not foot switchable and the only way to control it is by a badly engineered (too touchy) knob, you can't turn it off except to turn the reverb knob down to zero. Really dumb. On other amps I have with reverb, there are a couple of songs I love using and removing the reverb. One of them, when I take a solo I start dry...then add reverb, and at the crescendo when the band goes into som stops, I join in at higher than normal volume but at the same time turn it off by the footswitch....this is a GREAT effect, because it is like the guitar came from some ethereal place, and SUDDENLY it's RIGHT THERE...like it just arrived.

Hard to explain, but knowing that reverb pushes an instrument back in the mix explains it...when you then turn it off it sounds immidiate and right in front of you. Pink Floyd do it on the solo in Money (with verb and delay I think) where the solo comes out and suddenly it's like this whole big space suddenly condensed down into a small room.

Then it goes out to space again...really effective if not overused.

Also, just as an aid to rythm guitar, have some songs with reverb on the chorus dry on the verse, or vice versa... :)

It's a tool. Can live without it, but if it is there, an imaginitive musician (and if it doesn't conflict with the style...some blues I think needs a dry, solid guitar...) should be able to make use of it.

16. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

I absolutely loved the reverb in a '68 Super Reverb from hell I used to own. That was monster blues tone deluxe. These days with the amps I'm using.... I don't really miss it too much. I've a reissue Fender Reverb unit that was apparently tweaked by its former owner - it sounds exactly like the vintage unit sitting in a local guitar haunt, but I don't use it much. It sits in my basement most of the time. I like it in the front end of my Fuchs Blackjack21 for a bit of tube-drive and air but the amp doesn't really need it, and I like using it as "an effect" (what's the song on Led Zeppelin's "Presence" CD that starts with Page using an evil sounding reverb?) for sinister sounds, but I am quite happy with a simple slap-back delay. With Budda amps there are so many rich harmonic overtones happening, reverb sorta gets in the way, and I've never really been a fan of reverb on Marshall amps....

Peace,

jb

17. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

Put me in the "can't do without reverb" camp. I like it so much, I search out amps in no small measure because of their distinctive reverb sounds. (Ampegs and Jukes come to mind, but there are others, all very different from the standard built-in fender combo reverb.)

That said, some of the coolest amps ever made predate reverb. After working my way through several reverb alternatives, I've landed on the outbboard Fender RI tank. With the usual mod/tube upgrades, this thing is a whole lot of fun. I would definitely try out more non-reverb amps, knowing how good the outboard tank can make them sound.

18. 94_mccarty

94_mccarty Member

I think the key thing is that an amp should sound good without reverb even if it's a built in effect. Then if you want to use it you can. Many of the cheaper modern amps sound "one dimensional" and people seem to mask that with the reverb. Once I got turned on to what a great amp (like a 50's tweed) sounded like I have never missed reverb, but I do use it occasionally. A strat "in between" clean tone sounds especially good into a black face type circuit with reverb...definitely one of the classic sweet tones.

19. brad347

brad347 Member

An extra set of ears never hurts. Sure, you can make the decisions yourself but an objective set of ears can sometimes hear things that your own personal biases, ego, or insecurities are preventing you from hearing. Saying "If I don't know what fits in a track, who does" is a pretty tall statement. Producers, engineers, etc are hired and paid well for a reason... generally they can hear things and know things that many performers don't. Or maybe you just haven't been fortunate enough to be working with the right people...

If your ears and musicianship are so infallible that you are "always right," then I envy you! I'm still trying to get there myself. :)

20. brad347

brad347 Member

These are interesting viewpoints. I think that they represent only part of the story and only "one of many possible" right answers.

Personally, I think a great musician is capable of using very little of what is available when necessary... I've heard it called "taste." Papa Joe Jones from the Count Basie orchestra (and basie himself!) are both great examples of this.

AND, on the contrary, I think an imaginative musician can also get by just fine without it. There was some great music made before the invention of reverb.

Food for thought: in developing countries and countries such as Cuba where quality instruments can't be afforded, and people make great music on whatever is available to them.

This whole thread was not intended to say "non-reverb amps are better" or anything as much as it was intended to say "non-reverb amps can be just as valid as amps with reverb!" or maybe "Lately I like to turn the reverb off to hear what it really sounds like" or even "the bias toward reverb equipped amps is in my opinion a little unjustified."

That's all! I obviously have no prejudice against reverb since as i already mentioned I shelled out for an original 6G15 unit.