Non-Reverse Firebird Ripoffs

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by 13thelevator, Mar 2, 2006.

1. 13thelevator

13thelevator Guest

I really want a vintage non-reverse Firebird, what a great day that would be. But it isn't going to happen so I need to find ripoffs.

I'm currently looking at two models both called the 'Stormbird.' One is an Eastwood, a company that has recieved good reviews on harmony central. This based on the reviews I've read so far it seems like a perfect guitar for me, cheap, decent quality. The only problem is it looks cheap as dirt in the pictures and has only two p90s.

The other guitar I'm looking at is the Gould Stormbird. Who the hell is Gould? If you do a google search you'll find a ton of dead links but some live ones from the UK. These guitars are only sould in British pounds, but look nearly exactly the same but have three p90s. I want one really badly, but there doesn't seem to be much information available about the company.

My question for all of you is: since these guitars aren't sold in any shops in my area, what information do you have about either of these companies? Especially Gould? Does the Firebird actually look like a cheapo guitar outside of picures? And do I even need three p90s if I could get them?

Here's a Gould link: http://www.jaywalk.biz/gould/gouldGSBTSSStormbird Guitar.htm

2. Mike_C

Mike_C Member

I've never heard of Gould before so I'm thinkingthey may be a UK only maker and might be a bit hard to get one over here. As for the 3-90's well they give a great sound and depending on how the guitar is wired you can get a strat on steroid tone in what would be called the notch positions.
    Lots of makers are doing making 3-p90 guitars Hamer, Thorn and PRS come to mind. I know other will chime in.
    Another UK builder that you might like is Fret King check out the link to the Espirt IIIhttp://www.fret-king.com/HTML/espritfrm.htm It's not a true copy of a firebird but very much in the spirt of a firebird and it's gotten really good write ups in Guitar and guitarist magazine.
    I love my 3 p-90 guitar and wish you luck in finding yours.
    [​IMG]

3. 13thelevator

13thelevator Guest

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like more pickups on the guitar means more possible tones to select from? That should have been a no brainer for me, oh well.

Those Fret Kings are really cool, I definitely like what they've done to the original firebird shape, not too modernized. Sharper curves, but still sweet. Any idea what the price on one is?

The UK again though, those damn Brits are making some winners.

Anyone from the UK know anything about these Goulds?

4. Goldstrat

Goldstrat Supporting Member

Seppo at Frankinstein Guitar Works can build you anything you want and it will be half as much as the small companies catering to boomers with too much money. I had mine for sale for awhile here and one very smart person took a chance. He will be very happy tomorrow. I sold this for a third as much as those crappy made Gibsons of today.

[​IMG]

5. PUCKBOY99

PUCKBOY99 Silver Supporting Member

Another Frankinstein 'Bird..........

[​IMG]

6. 13thelevator

13thelevator Guest

That's always been an option too, just building my own. I've read Building Electric Guitars by Martin Koch, but am discouraged by the price of decent wood and the need to use professional equipment. Maybe I could make a non-reverse firbird with a hacksaw and slab of maple? Has anyone attempted something like this?

7. Goldstrat

Goldstrat Supporting Member

Don't bother! Seppo knows what he's doing and it will be a player and sound good. Unless you want to build a whole lot of them till you make a good one. After 20 or 30 years you might be there.

8. PUCKBOY99

Well, the upside is it isn't rocket science..............but there is an art to it, that's for sure.

And unlike say, a Strat, balancing a 'Bird just right might be out of the "hacksaw & slab" realm.

Have you tried to find an Epiphone 'Bird? Some of those are pretty sweet, once you upgrade the electronics & pickups.

Just an idea for ya'.............

9. 13thelevator

13thelevator Guest

I didn't know epiphone made a non-reverse model, I tried to google for it and nothing came up. If they do could you post a link?

10. PUCKBOY99

Ooops, forgot that part.....I'm not sure if they do make one.

11. PUCKBOY99