Non-traditional Les Pauls interest me for some reason. (yes....another gibson thread)

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by wsaraceni, Sep 11, 2019 at 10:44 AM.

1. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Supporting Member

I'm on a big les paul kick lately and hoping to pick up a R8/R9 in the next month or two once I get some more stuff sold. but in my constant searching for les Pauls I always see non-traditional les pauls that interest me. Now I know there are some "cheap" les pauls like the BFG or CM and they are interesting in their own way, but im talking more about the higher end of the Gibson USA or Custom shop spectrum. Let me give you an example of what I mean. Do you have one of these? Have an opinion of these? Am I crazy for even entertaining the idea of a Les Paul without 50s specs?

So here are the few that come to mind for me in no order.

1. Gibson USA Les Paul Deluxe Light

Here is a recently sold one form reverb. These seem to have been limited to Japan, a thinner body, mini humbuckers, and tummy carves like a Strat. Id imagine this has too thin of a neck for what I really like but I find it cool and interesting

https://reverb.com/item/23618224-gibson-usa-les-paul-deluxe-light-ebony-free-shipping

2. Gibson Memphis ES Les Paul with Bigsby.

From what I can tell, these were made for 3 years or so. 2014 through 2016. Essentially an ES style (sandwich maple poplar top) with a center block. Half ES/ Half LP. Came with or without a bigsby but to me, the one with the bigsby just looks more right.

https://reverb.com/item/27323023-gibson-es-les-paul-2014

3. Gibson Memphis ES Les Paul Standard

This is essentially the same guitar as #2 with no F holes. It's probably more interesting to me than #2 but I think they only made 200 worldwide. they also sell for a lot more than the ES Les Paul with F holes.

https://reverb.com/item/2031434-gibson-2016-es-les-paul-standard-electric-guitar

Add to the list, trash these designs, whatever...you know the drill

Markdude and monty like this.
  2. monty

monty Member

It's all good. I prefer non-bling Gibsons myself, JRs, CMs ect.

plinker, Markdude and Louiddur like this.
  3. gunslinger

gunslinger Member

I think Joan Jett when she was in the Runaways played a Les Paul with mini humbuckers.

[​IMG]

FlamesAreWicked and rauchman like this.
  4. wsaraceni

I assume that was just a standard les Paul deluxe then???

GibSG likes this.
  5. Motorhed

Motorhed Member

I think that ES with Bigsby is gorgeous! I have to say, I'd be tempted if I had the means.

MaxTwang likes this.
  6. gunslinger

gunslinger Member

Probably. That was around 1977.

7. gunslinger

gunslinger Member

Wsaraceni, here's something else to whet your appetite.

[​IMG]

hookakat1 and asilker like this.
  8. westmike

westmike Silver Supporting Member

9. cap10kirk

cap10kirk Member

I like a few non-traditional Gibsons. I liked the double cut Les Paul Standard, more for the control layout than the looks of the guitar itself though...master volume and tone, and the switch was by the pots. The Les Paul Axxess is pretty cool if you want a LP with a Floyd. And I really like the Modern Double Cut Standard (which isn't a LP but had the best neck I've felt on any Gibson imho).

10. wsaraceni

Has there ever been a LP with a top mounted Floyd? Same neck angle as a Vintage LP

11. wsaraceni

What’s this one?

12. AlanH

AlanH Member

Here's my Gibson Les Paul Signature 2014....

[​IMG]

Davesnothere likes this.
  13. Carbohydrates

Carbohydrates Member

One of the coolest non-traditional LPs, the DC Pro from the late 90's. 24 frets, narrow snakehead headstock (which was a KILLER headstock - lower mass for better balance, more even string pull, and I think it even had a shallower break angle). Available with a Stop+TOM or the way cooler wraparound as pictured. Also available with HBs or P90s.

[​IMG]

14. Auriemma

Auriemma Member

How about a nice (1999) Les Paul Standard Lite?
    [​IMG]

15. dspellman

dspellman Member

My favorites a decade or so ago were the Neal Schon signature guitar According to Gibson, 35 were made in a pilot program, but other sources say as many as 90 were actually produced. Despite an MSRP of $10K, all were snapped up in minutes and it's near-impossible to pry one loose from an owner. Gibson and Schon parted company acrimoniously soon after and Gibson (as of 2009, anyway) refused to produce another at any price.

The other was the Axcess Custom (have one), but prices for one with a good top are around $6K. These have a sculpted neck heel and Floyd, a thinner body and either exotic weight relief or chambering (mine is the latter) and a tummy cut. You *can* find these with solid bodies in specific sig versions, but not with a full

thickness body. Unfortunately, you can't get one with other than a 12" radius, medium frets, etc. The Agile AL-3200 has a solid body full-thickness version done in neck-through construction for $499 (plus case and shipping) with the same neck carve and tummy cut, or in a custom version with all of the above and a Floyd. Both versions have MOP or abalone inlays, ebony fretboard, full-thickness maple cap, mahogany body sides. The stock version has a 12-16" compound radius, jumbo hand-filed frets and all the Custom binding features, while the custom version I have was ordered with a wide (1 3/4" nut width) thin (17mm at the first fret, 20.5mm) neck (other profiles available), etc.

16. Jayyj

Jayyj Supporting Member

How non traditional do we want to go?

One of mine must be about as far as it's possible to get when it comes to Les Pauls - well, except for the short lived Les Paul Jumbo, a guitar apparently designed to make Martin D18E owners feel a little better about how ugly their own guitars were. It's a Professional, the guitar Les insisted on designing for Gibson when the latter approached him about reissuing the 50s style guitars in the late 60s. Why reissue those old things? Nobody wants humbuckers any more, you need low impedance pickups! And a varitone dial with ten positions instead of six, all of which sound more or less the same! And let's make it bigger and heavier!

The posh version (Les Paul Personal) added gold hardware, the split diamond headstock design and, of course, an XLR input - because, well, who wouldn't want to run their vocals through their guitar?

I call this one Old Fatty:

[​IMG]

17. jruano

jruano Member

I'm a traditional type of guy myself, but fell in love with a 2019 Standard in seafoam green that is what I play most since I got it. For all the bad rap Gibson gets, this is a fantastic instrument.

Louiddur likes this.
  18. PatriotBadger

PatriotBadger Member

Don't forget the Supreme, it may or may not float your boat.

Urobouros likes this.
  19. MaxTwang

MaxTwang Member

The ES Les Paul with Bigsby is a beautiful guitar.

20. C-4

C-4 Member

I love Red Bank, NJ! Florida now Europe later
    Besides loving R9's, I recently found that MF/GC has been having Gibson make some special versions of LP's for them, which are now catching on and being made by other brick and mortar stores. From what I gather, this is nothing new, but what caught my eye was a Purple Fadeburst, which made me look more deeply into this model. The Les Paul Custom Pro, which is a Standard with a gorgeous feeling R9 type neck, and 4 push/pull pots for single coil, out of phase and a kill switch.

While I don't use the out of phase, or kill switch, the two volume pots with the single coil when pulled do offer nice extra tones for some songs. Built with typical custom shop accuracy, and flawless feel, tone and performance, I have been using my Purple Fadeburst as much as my R9 since I received it. It has all historic parts, the nicely dished top, long tenon, and all the other things that are most desirable in historic LP's, but for the price.

Lt Dak likes this.