Non-Vox Clean Amp recommendations... (chime in?)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by dave12, Feb 16, 2012.

1. dave12

dave12 No commericals! No mercy!

So, I'm a longtime AC30 user (with a Morgan on order) and I've been thinking about getting a small combo amp (<20 watts, 1 speaker) down the road for cleans. Not because I don't like the vox cleans, but because I want to introduce a different aspect into my sound.

So here's my needs in a nutshell:

I use several pedals all the time (especially delay and reverb), so I want a nice, crisp clean amp to take those pedals. Not sure if it has to be chimey per se, but it needs to take OD's when I need them and stand out in the mix. No FX loop needed. Just want to run straight into a single channel.

Information I need:

-School me on Power Tubes as I'm clueless to what anything sounds like outside of el84's

-not sure if what I'm looking for is class A or not

-Specific examples (i.e. songs, bands, amp demos) are helpful

I used to have a Hot Rod Deville which I really liked, but in a way, it was just missing something. Hard to define, and I couldn't really tell you any of the specs without looking them up.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  2. analogsystem

analogsystem Member

Princeton reverb or deluxe reverb.
    6v6 powered classic sound

3. windwalke9649

windwalke9649 Member

+1 with the Deluxe Reverb, not as much with the Princeton; Princeton Reverbs are my favorite amp, but there isnt enough headroom for what it sounds like you're looking for.
    FOr the DRRI(Deluxe Reverb Reissue) to be able to take pedals well, as well as be able to use the reverb or tremolo with them; you'll need to modify the normal channel. The normal channel has no reverb or tremolo (or Vibrato if you're Fender, though its completely different), for that you have to use the VIBRATO channel, but; that channel has a bright cap on it, that's more noticeable at lower levels, but its there. IMO, it doesnt like dirt pedals; some Tube Screamer ODs are okay, but anything with a flat or scooped EQ will sound shrill in that channel. You can do the mod (its called the Frit'z; you just snip one end of R12, then run a jumper from the leg of R12 still in the board to R25. You have to snip the correct side of R12, i dont remember what, but its all over online. It will give the normal channel the amps spring reverb and tremolo. Plus, as an added bonus, it puts both channels in phase; so you can plug into channel 1, input 1, and run a jumper from ch 2input 2 to channel 1 input 1. Then you can use channel 1, or turn down channel 1 and turn up channel 2, or blend them togther. Also ( i did the mod for someone last weekend), if you have two;you can daisy chain the two amps together; so you run another jumper from input 2 on the vibrato channel to input 1 of another Deluxe Reverb.
    All in all, its probably the most useable amp mod there is.

Yes; you're looking at a Class A like the AC30 is (though its not a true class A). The Deluxe Reverb is a 22 watt class A. You could try an egnater Tweaker, thats 15 watts, has plenty of headroom and you can tinker with different preamp types.

4. nuckolslee

nuckolslee Member

Super Reverb man, love mine it has awesome amounts of headroom.

5. Vaachek

Vaachek Member

I have a Bad Cat Hot Cat 15, it will do the Vox thing, but it does oh so much more!!!

6. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Member

First thing(s) that came to mind. A softer, rounder chime and a fuller--albeit less present--tone. -E

7. jamband

jamband Member

:agree

8. chervokas

chervokas Member

Yup, I agree, sounds like you're looking for a black face Deluxe Reverb

9. dave12

Funny, the deluxe reverb was an amp that I considered back before I bought the AC30.

I'll keep that on file.

Surprised at all the immediate Fender love. Must be a sign.

More suggestions? Boutique amps at all? Smaller designs (i.e. <20watts) or single channel?

10. Shugaboy

Shugaboy Member

11. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

There are few amps out there better and more versatile than a well running BF Deluxe Reverb :aok

12. cratz2

cratz2 Member

That's pretty wide open, man... 'Something different than a Vox'.

:p

Having said that, an 18W to 30W Marshall or a Deluxe Reverb are the two things that came to mind for me as well.

13. dave12

Funny you say that cause 90% of the recommendations (including yourself :p back at ya) were Fender amps, so apparently I was pretty specific haha.

14. jota

jota Member

What guitar do you use?

15. dave12

I use most styles, really...LP, Strat, Tele, 335

16. vibrostrat43

vibrostrat43 Supporting Member

You're not gonna better cleans than either a blackface Fender or Vox AC circuit in my book. I will also recommend the Deluxe Reverb (or similar circuit amp). Sounds like a really cool rig you're going to have. Are you getting the AC20?

17. dave12

Thanks. Dual 40 actually.

This has all been pretty surprising to me, actually. I had always heard that Vox and Fender have an overall great rep on clean tones (and I've definitely experienced both to some extent), but I'm just surprised that there is a near consensus on clean tones...especially on this forum. I got two boutique recommendations but neither was what I asked for (both were el84).

18. sirkevinbean

sirkevinbean Member

tophat club deluxe. 6v6...22 watts. love mine.

19. charley

charley Supporting Member

Tone king has stellar cleans. Or an ampeg jet.

20. jota

jota Member

I asked about the guitar cause I have a DRRI that I like very much execpt with a strat.
    For humbuckers and TV Jones is wonderful. Teles sound nice. Strats always sound too "metalic" IMHO but, I had an amp party here in Portugal and everyone liked the amp with strats except for me!