None Keyboard Synths

Discussion in 'Keyboards' started by Hurricane, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Hurricane

Hurricane Member

:cool:
    ¿ Who's got and what kind ?

¿ With the Push 2 and similar stuff like Akai's Machine , what's out there ?

I have a Roland GR33 , <===<<- it's the master time clock on midi sync when I'm live with the
    T.C.Helicon VL3X
    [​IMG]
    and use a Godin LGXSA
    [​IMG]
    to trigger the synth voices as well as the electric guitar and acoustic electric guitar :dude .

I loop my vocal , Roland GR33 synth , electric & acoustic guitar through a T.C.Helicon Voice Live 3 X
    [​IMG]
    and to my Focusrite Scarlett 6i6
    [​IMG]
    I go into it's XLR's for vocal - midi in/out for the Roland GR33 / and line inputs for R&L stereo electric and acoustic
    guitar/instruments from the T.C. Helicon VL3X . I use the line in on the Scarlett for either the synth stereo audio or the
    electric guitar , depends on the situation .

The T.C.Helicon VL3X has some nice [ synth ] FX for the guitar/vocal - cutting edge stuff . The Roland GR33 guitar
    synth is old but still a killer unit solidly built to last , I could write a whole page on it alone :bow.

Learning how to trigger midi events with the Godin LGXSA is a trip in the DAW .

I have recently acquired a Source Audio Hot hand 3 base unit and USB dongle :

This makes a big difference live

as well in the editing process . Using this as well as the expression pedal on my Roland GR33 guitar synth module is super cool .

¿ So what kind of esoteric kind of musician's and gear have we here in this forum ?

EZ :

HR

rsm likes this.
  2. p.j.

p.j. Member

I sometimes use my Korg Kaossilator Pro to trigger other synths or use a big control surface for pitch bending. This works great with my Yamaha Reface DX.

I also use iPad apps like Fugue Machine and Patterning.

Hurricane likes this.
  3. germanicus

germanicus Member

Cool setup!
    GR33 is a cool unit. One of the best Roland made.

I have owned a ton of Guitar Synth stuff. Gr30, gr33, gr55, Yamaha g10, Boss GP-10, Roland VG-99 and now use a Fishman Tripleplay. Also had several Godin Synth access guitars (XTSA/LGXT/LGX-SA).

Currently using a pair of James Tyler Variax's into a Line 6 Helix, and use the Triple Play to trigger soft synths in a laptop, which uses the Helix as an audio interface and midi controller.

JiveTurkey and Hurricane like this.
  4. Hurricane

Hurricane Member

Hey there germanicus :

¿ How do you like the FTP ?

:rolleyes:
    I have been wondering if it's a better back up to my GR33 than the GR55 .
    I also have considered a Boss GP-10 , the acoustic guitar presets available
    are unreal .

A fellow member of VG Guitar Forum made some that sound like the real deal , best
    acoustic nylon sound I have ever heard on a guitar synth module .

I love my LGXSA it's a wonderful playing guitar , the sounds it produces are sweet jazzy
    to mean gritty dirty Rock/Blues .

My guitar amps are a tube Carvin 60 watt X-60 X1 12" and a Polytone Mini Brute 95 watt SS
    X2 10" & 8" cabs , it's a ripper and a li'l Kustom 12 watt SS X1 8" with a 12AX7 in the front end that
    I love to use .

I play a lot of acoustic too with a couple of Washburn Dreads , one is a rosewood single cutaway ,
    a 000 resonator and a 000 nylon spanish classic type single cutaway & my tiny little soprano
    Kamaka ukulele .

I blow harp too and really am enjoying the FX of the T.C. Helicon VL3X on it - I go into it's guitar input
    and use the FX on my Shure 520D Green Bullet mic . I first began Electrified Harp FX using an
    Ibanez HD 1500 FX unit for my harps , it gave me Hammond B3 type sounds on a Harp , really a killer
    with chorus - flanger - delay - harmonizer - octaver . The VL3X gives me all of that and more .
    [​IMG]

Then I got a Digitech GNX4 8 track recorder/looper guitar & vocal FX stomp unit , wow , it was a great
    piece , so great some low life stole it .
    [​IMG]
    This unit was a great piece of gear , well built and reliable , if I find another one in good shape and a reasonable price I think I
    would snag it .

I'm considering adding a Beat Buddy to the live solo lineup . For live solo busking I have a super
    portable set up that I keep redesigning to get smaller and lighter with out loosing volume and tonal
    quality .

I've gone live looping soloing in places with a house P.A. setup with just the VL3X & Roland with my guitars ,
    harp mic and synth and stage monitors , it was great to have so light weight a setup work super .

I just started busking with the VL3X , Roland , Hot Hand 3 using power banks . My portable has it's own
    rechargeable battery . It is a total blast to do , I should have done it a long time ago .

If I sit in with my acoustic guitar or electric I use the portable with the VL3X on the stage for a monitor and send
    my signal to the front end of the house from my P.A./ monitor and if I am really inspired ( a paid gig ) I take the tube
    Carvin and the Polytone SS with me for full on stereo imagery on stage as well as to the audience .

I have considered the Variax , they look like really solidly made instruments .

EZ :

HR

5. Hurricane

Hurricane Member

Hello p.j. :

:dude
    That Korg is a trippy unit . I'm listening to it's 200 sounds now on a youtube vid .

I saw a mini version mounted on a guitar and liked what I saw being done with the
    Hot Hand 3 , I can get the DubStep type stutter going with the VL3X and the HH3 .

I haven't incorporated my Ipad with this set up yet but I'm learning :) Fugue Machine
    looks really interesting . What is ¿ [Patterning ] ? :dunno

Thanks for your input too :) :aok

EZ :

HR

6. p.j.

p.j. Member

https://www.olympianoiseco.com/apps/patterning/

Patterning is a cool drum and sample playing app that lets you play polyrhythms easily. It is very cool. I love my Kaossilator Pro. It is really easy to use and a good platform for generating quick ideas.The big downside is that you can't connect a midi keyboard to it.

7. Hurricane

Hurricane Member

:) ¿ Can this be used on an Iphone 5s ?

8. p.j.

p.j. Member

I don't know, I don't have an iPhone. I just use it on my iPad.

9. Hurricane

Hurricane Member

Thanx

10. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

[​IMG]

I've tried the MIDI out, but I actually like the internal synth models (GR-300, Crystal, etc.) on their own.

Built my Karper at a soldering workshop led by Peter Blasser himself. I suck at soldering, so the poor guy had to go and redo my soldering job for me ;)

My newest drone synth.

11. Valtyr

Valtyr Member

When I went the non traditional route my rig was.........

Line 6 Variax and Parker Fly Classic with GK pickups
    Roland GR-33 guitar synth and Roland VG-88
    Normally I'd run the regular pickup output through a guitar amp and then the synth output through a bass amp.

Eventually I replaced all this gear and went with more traditional synths. It worked fine on it's own but I felt a bit limited to Roland gear. I wasn't able to get it to track well with other gear.

12. rsm

rsm Member

I had a Push, traded up for a Push2 (Ableton had a trade-in program for education, trade in a Push for a Push2 at a discount...probably lost money but it was for a good cause)

Boss SY-300 for guitar.

When I travel, I have a Korg mini Kaossilator 2S and Kaoss Pad 2S (which I can take out of my Ibanez RGKP6 guitar) and use with headphones on the plane, and other places.

My trance rig is built around my Korg Kaossilator Pro+ and Kaoss Pad 3+, along with my Korg Minilogue and Korg Kaoss DJ with Serato DJ.

I have a Zoom ARQ AR-96 on the way.

Still dig my keytar as well (Alesis Vortex wireless MIDI controller)

I find having different form factors / controllers interesting, and they provide alternate ways of creativity, expression and having a blast. I dig these new/innovative instrument interfaces, and wish there were more companies pushing the designs.

Zoom's ARQ is very different, the AR-96 is the original and current flagship, they recently released a less expensive version AR-48. I've yet to see one in the wild. Here's the AR-96

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  13. jdogric12

jdogric12 Supporting Member

I have a Roland G-505/GR-300 and a GR-500/GS-500. Love 'em!

Oh and a stylophone, and an omnichord. Also awesome stuff.

rsm and GovernorSilver like this.