noob from BC, Canada

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by reckoning, Apr 20, 2008.

1. reckoning

reckoning Member

A quick intro - I'm Dave, live in a small town in British Columbia, Canada. I played guitar many years ago, and picked it up again last year after about 18 years. I'm having more fun jamming with the band we formed a few months back than I've had in years. We've played a couple local pubs, do parties from time to time, that type thing - as long as everyone watching has had a couple beers, we seem to be getting the thumbs up.Turning 40 this year.

Musical taste is pretty broad ranging, but classic rock does it for me the most. Jimmy Page is easily my #1 influence.

My gear consists of an 05 Les Paul standard, a 77 Marshall 2204 head that I happened across in a little Mom and Pop shop, Genz Benz 2 x 12 cab, and then a few misc. pedals, and I picked up one of the 5 watt Epiphone practice amps a couple weeks back so the Marshall stays in the jam room now. Also have an old Goya classical, and a Takamine TAN15C steel dtring acoustic.

This is a great forum - awesome place for people like me to access tons of knowledge.

2. NB_Terry

NB_Terry Member

Hi Dave from the East Coast.

3. reckoning

reckoning Member

Thanks NB Terry - I'll make an assumption and figure you're in New Brunswick. My bro lives in Halifax. I was in NB a few years back on holiday - Bay of Fundy and all that, amongst PEI, NS, etc.

4. Pa'ani

Pa'ani Supporting Member

Greetings Dave,

Welcome to The Gear Page!

5. Ken I

Ken I Silver Supporting Member

Welcome aboard Dave!

6. archtopjazz

archtopjazz Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Hi Dave,

Welcome to TGP.

Jim

7. Big White Tele

Big White Tele Member

Hi Dave, what small town are you from? I love B.C.

8. reckoning

reckoning Member

Thanks Pa'ani, archtopjazz, and Ken. Big White, I live in Williams Lake, aka the Puddle. Do you know it? How bout yourself, another Canuck or what eh?

9. Big White Tele

Big White Tele Member

HEE HEE. have a cousin that lives there. Logging heaven. I live near Jasper Ab, a lot of Williams Lake loggers have migrated here,(along with the Pine Beatles).

10. NickCaveFan

NickCaveFan Member

Always good to have folks of all ages, influences, and locations here. Welcome!

11. 2leod

2leod Re-Member Gold Supporting Member

38 clicks from the town with a woman's name
    Howdy, and welcome reckoning!

I have a sister who lives up near Billy's Puddle...

12. reckoning

reckoning Member

Right on, and thanks for the welcome NickCaveFan.I have to agree - pretty cool to see all the different tastes in music and tone here - I've really learned to appreciate lots of different stuff listening to people's audio clips etc.

2leod - one of my best buddies lives up the road from you in Drunken Duncan. We used to 4-wheel on the south Island many years ago - Sooke up to Shawnigan Lake via the back roads. My Pop lives in Nanaimo, but he's moving up here next week. Love the Island.

Big White - I know your area well - have a number of friends in the Hinton to Whitecourt (and Grande Cache) stretch. I am totally jealous if you are right near Jasper - I make that trip a couple times a year and can never get enough of it. Who's logging over there from here these days?

So, on the subject of music - what type of music do all you guys that replied play?

Thanks again for the welcome!

13. Big White Tele

Big White Tele Member

Quote "So, on the subject of music - what type of music do all you guys that replied play?"
    Both kinds..

14. reckoning

reckoning Member

Too funny Big White Tele - those are the two kinds we don't do too much of, but being in Williams Lake its hard to get away without a little C&W.

Cheers,

15. rotren

rotren Member

Camrose, Alberta, Canada, but originally from Umea
    Hi Dave! I am in Camrose, Alberta. This place is great.

16. bc-cosmo

bc-cosmo Member

Welcome, reckoning. Glad you joined us. Lots to learn and share here!

17. gibsonjunkie

gibsonjunkie Member

My ex wife lives in 100 Mile House... that is approximately 3076.038 miles from me... :rotflmao

18. reckoning

reckoning Member

Thanks BC-Cosmo and rotren. More western Canadians than I thought might be around here!

GJ - how did your ex end up in 100 Mile when you are in the eastern US? 3076 miles, not that you're counting or anything :)

19. gibsonjunkie

gibsonjunkie Member

When we got divorced she demanded the home computer as part of the settlement. Best thing that ever happened... She met a guy over the internet, he proposed, then they met; and then got married...:D

20. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

Ha, I reno'ed the Husky gas station there in the late 90's during a very cold winter. I seem to remember a decent little music store downtown- played an excellent, but flawed Gibson AJ there.