Noob HD500 and Effects/Amps Switching

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by MikeNiteRail, Jan 24, 2012.

1. MikeNiteRail

MikeNiteRail Member

College educated....check
    Read manuals...check
    Watched YouTube...check
    Played with Editor...check

Full understanding of how the footswitches work...NO!

I have the HD500 in the mail, which is the first problem, but I'd like to "get" the system as best I can so I can move to instant tweaking.

I don't think I get how the footswitches work. I thought it meant the top row would turn on/off the effects of current amp model and the bottom would bounce between amp models.

Any help?

What I'd like to do is have the bottom row - ABCD - control 4 different amp presets (with effects). The top row would control 4 effects for that preset.

As I read up on it and use the editor, it looks like for any amp I can use 8 effects. That's fine, but how do I switch between ABCD then? I just can't rest not getting the big picture of things.

Talk to me like I am two.

Thanks!

2. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

Your assumption is correct. Default config is bottom 4 buttons switch patches and top 4 default to toggle the first 4 effects in the patch. The other 4 effects default to the bottom row when in pedal board (or whatever its called) mode but are not switchable in the default config unless you assign them as footswitches can control multiple effects. I typically set up my patches as follows. Foot switch 1 toggles on whammy controlled by expression pedal, 2 od, 3 trem, 4 either chorus or phaser, and the toe switch of the expression toggling wah also controlled by the expression pedal. I typically also have an eq and 300ms delay always on in the patch leaving one spot for what ever I might fancy (often a compressor assigned to pedal 2 in tandem with the od).

3. fiftywatt

fiftywatt Member

Mike.. you have it correct already. Bottom row ABCD (by default) selects one of your 4 amp presets. Top row of 4 switches can be assigned to toggle on/off any of the 4 effects in your preset. Each top row switch can also be assigned to more than one stomp if needs be. The Expression pedal toe switch can also be assigned to toggle 1 or more stomps on/off. Wah and Overdrive at once for instance.. useful!

I just got my HD500 a month ago and am just now wrapping my head around this functionality. There is an alternate mode available that allows all 8 switches to be assigned to toggle FX on/off but in this scenario you have to use the bank up/down switches to access the amp presets. I like the default mode so far and once you get the hang of it, this mode works well for live gigs IMO. Hope this helps.

4. bigtone82

bigtone82 Member

Mike,

I just got an HD myself, and thats the first thing I changed, just go into the system. Do a long press on home (or whatever the bottom left button is under the selector knob) and change it in there.

One of the things I don't like and I hope you don't mind me chiming in - is using the up/down bank buttons doesn't automatically change to the next highest bank. You have to Hit up, and then A/B/C/D. Is there any way to change that?

5. MikeNiteRail

MikeNiteRail Member

Thanks to all of you for the info!!!!

Will, are you doing this in default or something else? Is there a way to have an "always on" effect(s) and then have the four switches control control additional effects (if so any advice on how to do that in editor)?

For example, A is a Bassman with echo and switches 1-4 are things like trem, chorus, phaser, etc? That would be the ideal ideal!

6. scotchtape800

scotchtape800 Member

Just set up the patch with all the effects assigned to the desired foot switches.
    Then turn them off.... ????

7. MikeNiteRail

MikeNiteRail Member

On the Editor, it seems that I can't pick the switches. It puts them where they want them. I'll figure something out, but when seeing tips like running a delay at 20ms up front to fatten things, it would be nice to just have that as a default always on effect on A. Not a deal breaker or anything.

8. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

Yep. The bottom 4 control presets or patches. So I have 3 patches set up as follows.

FS5 - Deluxe Vibrato model delay always on, FS 1-4 assigned as described in my first post. This is my squeaky clean patch

FS6 - Bassman bright model delay and EQ always on, FS 1-4 assigned as described in my first post. This patch is mostly clean but dirties up a hair when you dig in.

FS7 - JTM45 model blue comp treble, EQ, and delay always on, FS 1-4 assigned as described in my first post. This patch is nice and dirty.

In all 3 patches, I've set up 1-4 to control the same effects so when I move from patch to patch I always know I can hit say FS1 and have Pitch Glide available. With that said, I rarely have to move between patches in a set as each can cover a wide range of tones and I typically lean to the cleaner side of the tonal spectrum.

To be honest, I never use the editor. Everything is available from the unit so I don't really see the need to connect.

9. Aaron Mayo

Aaron Mayo Member

You can have "always on" stuff; you just turn it "on" in the editor and make sure it's not assigned to a footswitch under the controllers tab.

10. Mullenski

Mullenski Gold Supporting Member

The Editor is your friend. Once you get your HD and plug it into the Editor/your computer it makes a ton of sense and is very intuitive.

11. scotchtape800

scotchtape800 Member

This is in the "Controllers" section.

I'm not in front of it right now, but it's a tad counter intuitive. You can't just pick the switch directly, what you need to do is (from memory):

1) Pick the effect you want to control
    2) Specify which controller to associate it with

This is all done in one place unlike the main editor page.

Also if you are talking about setting this up so it is on for each patch globally, this can't be done, you have to set it up for each individual patch.

PS IT'S PROBABLY IN THE MANUAL :)

12. fiftywatt

fiftywatt Member

Same here.. once you get the hang of the UI on the unit itself you can fly through edits/tweaks. Since I intend to use the HD500 in a live setting, I am forcing myself to learn how to edit on the fly with the unit. One thing I've found useful is to set up some basic patches that serve as templates. That way I can save these patches to other locations and just swap out the amp model for something else, tweak delay type, modulations etc. If for instance I always want a TS Overdrive assigned to FS2 and chorus assigned to FS4, this is easily accomplished through building a few good patches and replicating them to other setlists on the unit.

13. jgribble57

jgribble57 Member

The way foot switches work is one of my favorite things about the HD500. It is very customizable.

As mentioned there are two modes. In the default mode the bottom four switches control switching between patches (not amps). So in this mode to change from 1.A to 1.C all you have to do is stomp the C switch. To switch to 3.C you would have to tap the up switch two times then C or whatever.

In the other mode (which I prefer) all 8 switches are assignable. Two switch patches just click either the up or down button. So to switch from 1.A to 1.C you would have to hit the up button then hit the C button. To switch to 3.c you would hit the up or down button, then hit the up button two times and the C button. Its really much more complicated to describe than do.

Finally, how to set up each switch. Using the editor you go to the controllers tab. Select the "model" you want. This can be any effect or the amp itself. Then assign which foot switches turns it on. "None" is a choice. A few cool things you can do are:
    - Assign the foot switches in any order you like
    - Assign more than one effect to a switch such as an OD and a delay for a lead tone
    - Toggle between effects by assign two effects to a switch, and setting one as off and the other on
    - Turn an amp off for playing acoustic with a piezo by leaving the bypass volume at 100%.
    - Turn an amp on and off in dual mode to add second amp to the chorus or other time you want more power by setting the bypass volume to 0% so when the amp is off there is no volume from that channel.
    - The toe position of the expression pedal has a switch as well (and switches between exp 1 and exp2. In addition to setting in to turn on the wah pedal you could assign other pedals to the toe switch as well. So you could turn on a wah and fuzz with one click.
    - Speaking of the expression pedal, you can assign most parramenter to it. You could for example have it control the volume of the amp (therefore negating the need for a seperate volume pedal). You can also assign multiple values to it at once so that it control both the level of reverb, the depth of the chorus, and the feedback of a delay.

14. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

BUT...

If you're thinking that you can switch between those four amp models and have "trails" on your delays and verb... you can't... You are essentially calling up a new preset. Hope you understand that.

You CAN switch between two different amp models within one preset or even layer them both, but you can NOT choose between four different amps and have delay/reverb trails.

15. MikeNiteRail

MikeNiteRail Member

You guys are blowing my mind. Seriously. I love it! I played with the Controller tab, and as pointed out before, that is the place to really play. LOVE IT!

16. coderKen

coderKen Supporting Member

With one exception. You can't set it up so that the top row switches patches and the bottom row toggles effects. Aside from that, it's awesome.

17. jgribble57

jgribble57 Member

@coderKen just out of curiosity, why would you want to do that?

I didn't mention in my last post, but the options are increased with a variax. Not only can you set up cool stuff with the switches(such as toggling between the modeled guitar and real pickups) and banks (such as changing guitars and tuning), but in the new update you will be able to use the knobs on your JTV as expression pedals for effects.

18. csdorman

csdorman Member

Well, a couple more exceptions:

You can't set a footswitch to toggle between parameters (ie gain, volume, delay time, etc). You can set up two effects with your different parameters, and then use a footswitch to toggle between them, but that takes an extra effect block.

You also can't use the looper button for anything but the looper (nor can you deactivate it for live playing).

You can't assign anything to an ABCD button (in the GT10, you could press the currently active preset and get a boost, switch channels, etc). In the POD it just resets the current preset to its "saved" state.

If you have volume on EXP 1 and wah on EXP 2 there is no way to switch between them without pressing on the toe switch. Even if you have a button to toggle between the two, you won't switch from EXP 1 to EXP 2 until you press the exp toe switch.

But it really is very flexible - and who knows what they've fixed in the ver 2 that is coming out. I can't wait!

19. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

Yeah, these are areas in which the GT-10 (and likely the GT-100) rocked. Being able to assign a footswitch to different parameter values of an effect was really cool. As well as the ability to make them toggle or momentary.

Yeah, but assuming you're talking about volume pedal not amp volume I'm pretty sure you could assign both to EXP 1 and then assign one of the footswitches to toggle between effects so you would never have to switch to EXP 2, or save EXP 2 and the toe switch to control something else entirely.

20. coderKen

coderKen Supporting Member

So that the effects toggles are easier to get to than the patch switches. Plus it makes is almost impossible to accidently switch patches when you're trying to toggle an effect on/off. I'm usually singing and playing at the same time and it's not always easy to peek down and make sure my foot is over the correct row. It's not really THAT big of a deal. Just my preference and, I really don't see why we can't do it anyhow. I think I'll probably wind up using it in "pedalboard mode" so that all 8 switches are effects toggles. I never switch patches mid-song anyway and that would give me that I want in the front row.