Noob looking for a new combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mindstorm, Jul 24, 2008.

1. mindstorm

mindstorm Member

Thurso, Scotland (right before you fall off!)
    Hey Guys!

So, I'm looking for a new 1x12 combo, and i can't make up my mind between a Laney VC30 and a Peavey Classic 30. I'm going to be using them at bedroom volumes and for gigging with. I play Instrumental Rock most of the time (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybO1a9tGs2U&feature=user << that's me!) but with the band I'm playing all sorts of stuff (Led Boots, Superstition, You Can Call Me All, Two Trains, A Apolitical Blues, just to name a few). At the minute my current setup is a Vox Tonelab LE, which is fine for in the house, but just isn't doing it for me at band practice and gigs.

So which one do you think would work best.

Lyle

2. mindstorm

mindstorm Member

Thanks mate! That was actually through the amps that we were provided with there, which (of all things) were Peavey 6505's through 2 4x12's. I was quite happy with it, although some people weren't. Different strokes for different folks i guess

3. 5E3

5E3 Member

Nice playing! That song was really rockin! Some of your tremolo work reminds me of Satriani.

I'm not sure which amp of the two you mention would be a better choice. What is your price range? For your style of music there are probably much better choices in amps.

4. MartinC

MartinC Member

I'm pretty sure you're going to sound sh!t hot through anything. But I can vouch for the Classic 30 in terms of bang for buck, reliabilty and decent tone. It's more of a classic rock/blues sort of thing though, without pedals.

5. mindstorm

mindstorm Member

That's kinda what I'm looking for. I like the Paul Gilbert sort of approach. Have one OD sound, boost it, and use the volume control to get clean(ish) tones. Cheers guys!

6. mindstorm

mindstorm Member

Thanks, can't beat a good old 12 bar eh?

I've got £500, roughly $995, and I can't try anything out before I buy (nowhere within at least 120 miles that sells amps - sucks being in the north of scotland sometimes)

7. RichieRich

RichieRich Senior Member

8. 5E3

5E3 Member

That is a good sum of money to spend, however I know prices are higher for amps in the UK. I did own a Classic-30 some years ago and it sounded very good with a Celestion Vintage-30 speaker and a fresh new set of JJ tubes. The stock Blue Marvel speaker was acceptable, but the amp really roared with a Vintage-30.

Listening to your performance on that clip, I kept thinking your sound would benefit from an amp with higher gain (Marshall?) than a Classic 30. I'm not famliar with the Laney VC30, perhaps it would hit the high gain better?

I must agree with MartinC though, your tone is in your hands and I think you will sound awesome through just about any decent tube amp!

9. mindstorm

mindstorm Member

i'm 99% the Peavey has more gain than the Laney, but i'm open to suggestions

10. stratocaster

stratocaster Member

Nice playin!!! :AOK

Given your budget and the 2 amps you list; i think the classic 30 would be just fine for you, you can always use a nice OD to kick the gain up a notch if you feel the need, good luck.

11. mindstorm

mindstorm Member

Sweet! Cheers mate. If i had the funds i'd be getting a JSX, but this is a present from mum and dad, so the Classic 30's looking pretty appealing

My only other thought was a DSL401, but I've heard that they really suck in terms of reliability, and they BURN! (not in a good way)

12. nomadh

nomadh Member

Peavey classic series are great. I have the 50 410 and love it. That being said , I just bought a crate v30. I love the high gain tone. My peavey just won't go there. I don't think 30 will either. I just bought the v30 112 class a crate off ebay for $225 shipped. I got the 25% off bin from msn live.com added a 10% off coupon. He still has 16 units left last time I checked. You have 2 days to hop on. Sorry to the OP. Ships to usa only. If they are available in the UK check one out or have an american friend buy one and ship it to you. Any of the v series the 15, 16 18, 30, 32, 33 or the vintage club or palominos all sound great. My worry is reliability. Every peavey classic I ever plugged in sounded perfect and was ready to rock. Over 60% of the crates had small to huge problems..... but the best tone. Most owners claim they are reliable after being sorted out though.

13. FenderStrat

FenderStrat Member

I've played the Laney VC15 and it has alot of useable gain. It is perfect for what you said you wanted - to have a good OD to use and boost it with pedals. This is what I like to do too.

14. mindstorm

mindstorm Member

aye, but not quite loud enough for gigging with (most of the time, i won't be miked)

15. FenderStrat

FenderStrat Member

I assumed that the Laney VC30 would be your choice and that it is the same but louder. Isn't it?

16. mnsixstring

mnsixstring Member

I gigged a Classic 30 for quite a while, solid amp. Speaker change does do wonders, but wasn't a huge fan of the overdrive. It was ok, but I got better sounds out of a Direct Drive out front, which can be had for pretty cheap. It loved every pedal I threw at it and the clean is great. Don't think I'm ever going to sell it, in case I have to sell everything else. Hope that helps.

17. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

I tried out a new Laney the other day at a dealer here in NM USA,,the 20 watter...made in the UK....sounded Great...Big Transformers= great bass response...In a different league than anything Peavey makes!! If you need more gain, buy a good OD pedal....Jetter GSG sounded great with the Laney

18. mindstorm

mindstorm Member

I was quite surprised by the difference actually. The VC15 appeared to have more gain when i A/B'd it with the VC30, which is what's making me lean towards the Peavey.

19. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I don't know the Laney so I can't compare, but the Classic 30 is one of the best "balanced" between the clean and lead channels of any amp I know of that has shared EQ. I have tried it both ways, setting best nicest clean, and then go over to lead and it sounds killer, also have set the lead channel without listening to clean, got it right, go over to clean and it still sounds great.

Has a lot of nice sounds in it. The only thing, some mention changing out the speaker. I personally think a great mod would be to mod it so if you use an extension speaker, the combo speaker would be able to be turned off. I mean, that you would at least have the option of turning it off.

Because the amp sounds great through 2 x 12", etc. also. Also, I know the effects loop works well on it too,

20. mindstorm

mindstorm Member

Thanks mate. So, when you run, say, an 1x12 cabinet from the external speaker out, the combo speaker is on, so both speakers would be running?