Noob: Presonus Audiobox can't seem to handle Hot Plate load

kingink

Hey Folks,

I'm stepping into the kiddie end of the audio interface pool. Cabinet miking and even iso-boxes aren't practical in my current situation. I need silent (headphones) recording and I really have come to like speaker IRs.

Up until recently, I've been plugging into the audio in port of my iMac. It's actually worked well enough that I've been able to test Redwirez and God's Cab speaker IRs. Old signal path:

guitar>Dr. Z Maz 38>THD Hot Plate (load setting)>iMac>Garageband (using speaker IRs)

Obviously, the port on the computer isn't practical. I've recently encountered some latency problems and of course, the signal's intermittent what with the 1/4" to 1/8" adapter on the back of the computer. With high hopes I bought a Presonus Audiobox USB. New signal path:

guitar>Dr. Z Maz 38>THD Hot Plate (load setting)>Presonus Audiobox>iMac>Garageband(using speaker IRs)

I keep the line level knob on the Hot Plate set really low, as in barely cracked open.

The problem: with the input gain on the Audiobox and the input gain on the Garageband track turned all the way down and, as stated above, the Hot Plate line level control turned waaaay down, like barely 8 o'clock, I still can hear my guitar and the signal shows up on the Garageband track meter.

If I keep raising the Hot Plate line level, the signal gets louder even though the gain on the Audiobox is effectively "off."

Furthermore, the signal clips from at even these low settings of the Hot Plate line level control.

I just didn't research this product enough, I guess. According to some Internet reviews and customer complaints, turns out its inputs are pretty sensitive and easily clip when presented with a direct guitar signal, either as with my setup or with the guitar plugged right into the front.

According to what I read, the general consensus is to use a DI box to pad the load box's input signal. (The DI box is even considered a solution for plugging the guitar straight into the Audiobox).

I'm wondering what TGPers think. Is a DI box the best solution if I want to continue down the speaker IR path?

Should I invest in something like the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, which has a built-in pad?

Should I abandon the IRs and get a Line 6 UX2 or some such?

Thank you,

David

MLG Audio

I think a direct box would help you in this case. Make sure you get one that has a -20 or -40db pad on it.

kingink

Great, thank you!

I had one in my grubby little mitts this morning but the Guitar Center sales associate tried to talk me into swapping for one of the Focusrite Scarletts, so I left without it (she was very nice though).

But, I don't think it had any pad on it, so that worked out.

Thanks again. :)

Julia343

It's such a convoluted signal path from an amp, I just record through a POD HD and got over it. I use the Redwirez IRs with a convolution reverb. If you do it right on a recording, 99% people can't tell the difference.

kingink

It's such a convoluted signal path from an amp, I just record through a POD HD and got over it. I use the Redwirez IRs with a convolution reverb. If you do it right on a recording, 99% people can't tell the difference.
Thank you and I hear you.

Thing is, this isn't really for public consumption. I'm not necessarily going for a pro quality finished recording, at least not at this stage of the game.

I'm mostly trying to get ideas down and enjoy the feel I get from my amp, which in turn spurs ideas.

But I appreciate the insight and haven't given up on the POD situation yet.