Noob question about amp heads and cabinets...

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Paco Luna, Feb 8, 2015.

1. Paco Luna

Paco Luna Member

I want to be buy a new amp, it would be my first amp head and cabinet, i would like to know why should i buy a 100 watt head over a 50 watt, i suppose because the 100 watt should have more volume, and what about the ohm´s, why there are amps where i can choose the ohm´s capacity, and what about buying a low watt head and have a lot of cabinets, should it sound as high as a 100 watt amp head, i´m lost hear, i need somene to explain me, sorry for my ignorance... Thanks

2. jay42

jay42 Member

Tell us more...what sort of venues will you be playing? What genres of music...for example a funk player might be happy to schlep a Fender Twin Reverb despite the weight, simply because there's a lot of headroom in that amp and funk is usually clean. I guarantee you that in most clubs you'll get yelled at for cranking a Vibrolux Reverb (approx. 30 watts).

...and yes I know neither amp I mentioned is a head + cab. They're just examples.

3. Paco Luna

Paco Luna Member

i play in a bar, i play metal, rock, but i´m mostly in to the Vinnie Vincent sound, very agressive sound, but i suppose that with any amp with a good distortion should do that, but i´m more concern about the volume, what wattage should i choose for the correct volume i need, i play with a line 6 spider iv 120 watts, and it´s ok, but i´m just tired of the sound it has, i want a amp with more clarity. Thanks !! :)

4. Kurzman

Kurzman Supporting Member

I don't know about those 100 watt monsters but I have a AC30 clone with a 15 watt/30 watt switch. It's mostly a difference in headroom as opposed to vol. levels.

5. jay42

jay42 Member

Sounds like a 30 to 50W tube amp with good distortion characteristics would do well. It's not my style so I'm out on a limb guessing that you'd do well with a 50W Mesa Dual Rectifier or a close relative thereof. You can't compare the power levels of solid state amps to tube ones. The solid state ones need a lot more power to get the same volume in loud situations.

6. AXEnGEAR4J

AXEnGEAR4J Supporting Member

I would look for a 2 channel Mesa Dual or Triple Rec either 50 or 100 watt. You won't necessarily get more volume with a 100w over 50w just gain more headroom. You can get some outstanding deals on those proven workhorses where a head and 4X12 cab can be found for $1000-$1500 range. New they were almost $4000! The amp will allow for 4ohm, 8ohm or 16ohm outputs

7. tresspassor

tresspassor Member

Sounds like you want an amp that utilizes a lot of preamp distortion (Marshall, Mesa, and the likes). Do you mic your amp or just blast it into the audience? 50W is plenty enough for playing un-miced in most clubs. 100W isn't really much louder, but tend to have a little more bass response when cranked. you really don't need anything over 20W if you always mic it up. There are many good options these days for lower wattage high gain heads. But there's something about that punch that the bigger amps can achieve even at lower volumes. Just make sure that whatever amp you select has a good master volume control and you (and the sound man) be just fine.

8. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Well you need to go by the venue size, big difference between a bar/pub that holds 50-75 people and a venue that holds 100-200 people.

If they are small places a small head/cab like jet city 22h will be enough.

If larger or outdoor venues then you probably need get up into the 40-50w range.

Even with the smaller JC 22h, having a couple different size cabs can help picking right cab for the room. Have a 1x12 for small rooms, then switch to a 2x12 or even a 2-1x12 mini stack for bigger rooms. Maybe even a 4x12 if needed.