Noob Question: Changing Strings on a Strat with Tremolo

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by RocknPop, Feb 25, 2012.

1. RocknPop

RocknPop Supporting Member

Hi guys, pardon the noob question, but I just bought my first strat and I wanted to know if I can remove all the strings at once to change them or do I have to do this one by one.

My strat has a SSS configuration and it has a tremolo and locking tuners. It's a Strat American Deluxe .

2. Zero G

Zero G Member

Either, or. If you want to do a thorough cleaning of the fretboard and/or polish the frets, take 'em all off at once. If not, one at a time is easier, and it keeps the tension on the neck and the trem. Start at the high e and work your way to the low e. Don't forget to stretch your strings after you re-string. This will help to prevent breakage and your guitar will stay in tune better.

3. UncleLarry

UncleLarry Member

Yep, +100% :aok

4. shane88

shane88 Member

loosen em all so the trem decks - snip em all off - wipe down board - restring

5. CyberFerret

CyberFerret Member

Either way works, but like the others here, I tend to remove ALL the strings on my guitars when restringing, and give the neck a good clean down and polish...

6. Mrmarshallhead

Mrmarshallhead Member

Me too.

To the OP, just note that when you start tuning up, as you tighten one string, the bridge moves forward a little, flattening all the rest of them, so just get all 6 into the ballpark before you worry about tuning them perfectly, otherwise you'll be back and forth each string repeatedly.

My own technique is to jam the (removed for restringing) backplate under the back of the bridge, which keeps it angled to where I like it for floating, and string up. I already have the springs adjusted so that at concert pitch, the backplate just slides out naturally and the guitar is much faster to tune up.

7. David Garner

David Garner Member

You can do it both ways, but I typically go one at a time.

8. scolfax

scolfax Member

If the trem is floating I'll do them one at a time. Especially on a Floyd.

9. RocknPop

Thanks guys, so basically I can remove them all and there won't be a problem with adjusting intonation later.

10. omfg51

omfg51 Member

The cool thing about a strat's bridge is that it stays the way it is set up whenever you take off all of the strings. I always remove them all at once and give the thing a good cleaning. I always have to. My Les Paul however is a pain in the arse, due to the fact that the bridge and stopbar are supposed to come off. I always clean it, but I leave only 2 on the six on so I can keep everything set the way I like and clean it. Then, I put on a few new strings, and then take off the old ones and finish the job.

11. RocknPop

Cool, so just to confirm, I'm not messing anything with the tremolo mechanism OR the intonation if I remove all the strings.

12. UncleLarry

UncleLarry Member

I'll try to explain this clearly:

As long as you keep the same gauge strings, you will not have to adjust your intonation or trem springs. If you go to a lighter or heavier gauge, you will need to readjust both and possibly readjust the neck truss rod.

If you take all the strings off at once, it will take longer to retune. As you bring a string up to pitch, it will cause the other strings to slack. You will need to tighten each string several times until the balance between trem spring tension and string tension is reached. This is why many players just do one string at a time. The tension is already balanced by the old strings and the new ones can be tuned to pitch quickly as you replace them one at a time.

Got it?

13. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

I change all of the strings at once, give the fretboard a clean and polish, then a little nut sauce on the nut. Stretch the strings and you will be good to go. Good luck

14. RocknPop

Very clear. Got it, did it, and saw what you meant.

Thanks!