Noob question, need to know about latency

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by RedTiger, Feb 8, 2012.

1. RedTiger

RedTiger Member

Here's my question, it's a hypothetical question. If I:

1. Run my guitar into a POD HD bean, using it for models AND interface, using inexpensive monitors connected to the POD

2. Run all that into a Win 7 64 bit PC with typical Realtek on-board audio via USB 2.0 into Reaper as my DAW

...realistically, what type of latency am I looking at? This is as simple as it gets, I know, but I can't find any answers on latency for this type of set up.

Also, does the audio have anything to do with this? Aren't I not even utilizing this since I'm using the POD for everything?

2. RedTiger

RedTiger Member

Also, I realize that there's a lot of details missing about the specs of the PC, so let's just assume a 3.0 ghz dual core Conroe that's a few years old. 7500 RPM physical hard drive. I'm trying to figure out if this type of simple setup is worthwhile or doomed before it begins.

3. piby

piby Supporting Member

I have an identical setup. You should not have latency problems if you are just layering guitar tracks (processed by the pod) into reaper. I use a drum software (addictive drums) to put down a drum track and then record guitars over that. If you produce files that have many tracks processed by plugins that use CPU power you may get some latency... just experiment.
    the Realtek onboard audio will not be in the fray as the bean will now function as the soundcard. i.e., when you play back a track you will listen through the pod and monitors and not the computer speakers. your reaper settings will determine this.

4. RedTiger

RedTiger Member

Thanks for the info piby! Right now I'm recording jam tracks on audacity using the microphone jack on the PC case! Ghetto! :omg I haven't decided on what to use yet, I might go POD, I might go GT-100. It should all work the same, I would imagine.

5. mwe

mwe Supporting Member

Look at the upper right corner of your Reaper screen, it should show the buffer size and latency info.

6. RedTiger

RedTiger Member

Thanks for the tip! :)

7. scotchtape800

scotchtape800 Member

I think "latency" would only be an issue if you are monitoring through your DAW or using an amp sim.

Since you are not, it's a non issue with that gear.

If you are recording and using an amp sim, and using the output of the amp sim to monitor your playing, then latency would be an issue.

8. RedTiger

RedTiger Member

Just to make sure I'm clear - anyone feel free to chime in - it sounds like since I'm playing through the MXF and monitoring directly from it, the DAW is really just recording whatever I do via the USB, so there's no latency.

On this type of setup, what if I have a click track or a drum track playing on the DAW? Am I going to hear this being piped back through the MXF and out the monitors or am I going to hear it coming from the PC sound card? THAT is really where my concern for latency is, just like everyone else, I'd imagine. Obviously I don't want the click and the guitar to be out of sync!

9. mach90

mach90 Member

if your monitoring through mfx you most probably will not hear the click unless the mfx handles audio in and out via usb

10. RedTiger

RedTiger Member

Soooo how am I supposed to hear the click track? Through the PC audio? That doesn't seem right.

11. scotchtape800

scotchtape800 Member

Yeah, it depends on if the audio from the DAW also goes out of the bean.

Basically from my understanding - as long as you play along in time to what you hear you should be fine. The input latency generally isn't the problem.

The problem is with the output latency, this is what screws people up - when you hit a note, but you don't hear the output until later. The output that you hear IS NOT what is recorded TIME WISE, it's actually what you originally played. What is recorded is based on the input latency.

So let's say your input latency is 2ms and your output latency is 15 ms.
    You hit a note, it gets recorded, but then you hear the note 15ms later. It's hard to play along to. However, if you IGNORE the output and just play to the click track, you'd be fine.

I don't understand your USB 2.0 realtek card, you mean the built in card? Those usually have terrible latency so don't use it...

12. scotchtape800

scotchtape800 Member

Oooh, ok you're getting confused here. When the bean is the interface, no audio is coming in or out of the Realtek.

If you have an external audio interface, that becomes your "sound card".

13. Structo

Structo Member

I think if you buy a separate sound card, it will have less latency.

I'm still using Windows XP Pro but when I recorded straight into my Creative Audigy 2 ZS card it worked great.
    I had a little third party program that allowed me to adjust all the latencies on my PC.
    I used a Cakewalk Guitar Tracks program to edit the tracks.

14. RedTiger

RedTiger Member

Ok guys, let me back up here. Assume I'm a total beginner on this, because I am. Complete NOOB. I have no frame of reference. Last time I did any semi-serious recording was on a Tascam cassette tape 4 track almost 20 years ago.

I understand that the POD becomes the sound card by way of the drivers and setting it that way in Windows and in the DAW. I understand now that the if I'm monitoring from the POD (like any USB interface), that I should be fine latency wise.

What I'm trying to do is very simple. I want to lay down a drum pattern or click track and record a rhythm guitar track over it - synched up in time, of course.

1. Where am I going to be hearing the click track or drums? From the monitors on the POD?

2. When I play the click and rhythm guitar back, will they be in synch? Will there be latency?

Assume that this step is succesful. Now I want to do double the rhythm guitar it.

2. When I record over the rhythm and click - again, where am I going to hear it coming from? The monitors connected to the POD?

3. If I'm listening (to wherever the the previously recorded tracks are playing from, see # 1 and 2) - and playing over it to double the track, are the two going to sync? Will there be latency?

Etc, etc, etc. through each track I lay down.

This is where I'm confused and would greatly appreciate anyone breaking this down as basic as possible! Unfortunately, there is no "dummies" guide to any of this, just bits and pieces that assume you can already visualize how all the pieces work together.

15. RedTiger

RedTiger Member

Just wanted to post again to say that I'm finding more answers to my questions on Line 6 and Boss GT Central forums. Thanks for the help everyone!