Noob Question no. 341 : Basics of Compression?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by jokerjkny, Nov 9, 2004.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

hey all,

i need some advice on compression, and maybe even some suggested settings on my recently ebay acquired RNC compressor.

from my bass playing i pretty much understand the basics, but dont know if they'd apply to basic production, mixing down, and the like.

any pointers or tips on dealing with live PA or demos with compression?

2. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Try here, here, here and here for starters.

For live PA, since you're starting out I suggest just putting a little on the master stereo buss, like 3:1 ratio, maybe 5 - 6 dB attenuation (or whatever sounds good), medium-fast attack and medium release.

3. Brusco

Brusco Member

I also don't fully understand how to use my compressor. I will read these articles over and over at an attempt to stop guessing while using it.

4. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

You're welcome. It's a pretty simple concept, but it can be applied in so many ways.

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

awesome, MK,

just what i needed.

but when you say "medium", are we talking the same parameters? e.g. the attack parameters of my RNC is 0.2 - 200 and the midpoint is 6.0ms. sound about right?

6. Greggy

Greggy Member

Joker,

In my experience, the attack on the RNC is very fast, despite what the dial indicates. For bass tracks, I set the attack to between 16 and 25 ms. Ratio around 3:1, release 300 to 500 ms, and threshold play by ear.

7. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Uh... good point. Oops.

Attack maybe 30 - 50 ms, release maybe 300 - 500 ms., depending on the compressor and the material. Above all, compression on a master buss should be smooth, transparent to the listener and light (IMO), so move those parameters around if you hear it working. Too fast a release and you'll hear it pumping. Too slow and it'll just keep your mix clamped down for the entire song. Some have an automatic release feature which might work nicely.