Noob question: What is point of volume pedal tuner-out? Why not include tuner in signal chain?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gavinashun, Mar 31, 2016.

1. gavinashun

gavinashun Member

I see a lot of people's boards have their tuner in the volume pedal tuner-out. I also see a lot of people talking about mod'ing volume pedals with buffers to prevent tone loss that can happen with this.

But my question is why not just bypass that concern entirely and just run the tuner through the signal chain? Most tuners are true bypass so I don't see what the downside would be.

Am I missing some benefit of using the tuner-out of a volume pedal? thx!

2. Mothman

Mothman Member

The point is just to kill the sound running through your chain while still sending a full signal to the tuner, so the audience doesn't have to listen to it, that's all.

I had a silverface Bassman 50 years back. I tried running my tuner-out signal to the Normal/Bright channel, which was dialed up for a cleanish tone, and the regular out to the Bass channel, which was wide-open for some dark grit. This let me use the pedal to dial up crunch with losing any definition, and it was surprisingly effective!

Crowder likes this.
  3. gavinashun

gavinashun Member

But tuners, or at least the TC Polytune's, mute the signal when you step on them. So no one is hearing you tune. So that doesn't sound like much of a reason at all.

Sorry if I'm being dense!

4. the tourist

the tourist Member

I think it's just a holdover thought from the days when certain tuners from certain brands had buffers that people didn't want in their signal. And it just has seemed to stick.

5. goodhonk

goodhonk Member

Just a guess. Boss vp is the main offender in this regard. Boss had a really popular tuner that was not a pedal, little rectangle deal with a meter on it, gray and orange iirc.

You could use the dedicated line out from the vp into this hand held tuner. If you wanted to cut the volume to rig and still tune it was now possible.

dickjonesify and gibs5000 like this.
  6. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

IMO, It's a holdover from the days when tuners weren't in pedal form.

For years, most pedal boards had one of these:

[​IMG]

7. gavinashun

gavinashun Member

Gotcha thanks. Yeah it seems like with modern tuners there is absolutely no need to put them in volume tuner out.

8. witafro2

witafro2 Member

I ask myself this question all the time when I see people spend a lot of money just to use the tuner out so it doesn't "Suck tone"
    I still don't get it...

9. Eliguitar

Eliguitar Member

For me, I like being able to check the tuning at anytime, even while playing. If I need to tune silently, I just lower my volume pedal. It's also a lot faster for me to lower my volume for a split second if needed then to step on a pedal, mute then step again.
    There's no right or wrong but that's what I'm used to at this point.
    It's also handy while playing, sometimes you hear something out of tune especially when playing with horns or another guitarist and you can quickly glance at the tuner without having to stop playing and check if the problem is you or someone else.

Jet Age Eric, NHBluesMan and NielsM like this.
  10. NielsM

NielsM Member

This is exactly why.

Sometimes on stage, you can't really hear yourself properly, the sound engineer tells you to put the volume of the amp down and then doesn't send it back to the monitors in front of you. This way you will still be able to check if you're in tune during a song and checking if the bends you're doing are in key if you can't properly hear yourself. This works perfectly for my Polytune which tracks really well.

And to tune it's just as much effort. Lowering and raising the volume pedal or stomping on a tuner twice.

Although the tonesuck thing seems strange to me too.

11. NHBluesMan

NHBluesMan Member

This, plus there's a mental element for me. If my volume is down I remember to put it back up to play, but I can't tell you how many times I've turned on my tuner (pre volume pedal days) and forgotten to turn it off to start a song, then freaked when I wasn't hearing anything

12. zul

zul Supporting Member

I've heard some use it in a wet/dry amp situation.
    Send tuner out to main dry amp. Pedal to set the wet mix.
    Of course, this may only work if dry out is unaffected.

13. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

problem is, volume pedal tuner outs themselves suck tone!

unless your volume pedal is after a buffer, the tuner out is losing you signal and is best avoided.

14. Squatch57

Squatch57 Member

Another reason is if you use a rack tuner you can get a line to it from early in the chain
    You really don't wanna run your tuner in your rack effects loop (after dirt)