Noob recording advice

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Bo Faulkner, Feb 12, 2006.

1. Bo Faulkner

Bo Faulkner Member

I am about to plunge on a portable setup ( I work outta town alot and have lots of free time) How does this sound for a beginer:

Sweetwater Creation Station Rack mounted computer (3.2 ghz 1 meg ram)
    with all the stuff that comes with them (big hdd dvd cd burner ect..)

M Box 2 with the protools software suite

tannoy monitors and a SM 57 I will be doing a lot of playing around mostly but will probably do some "stock music" for a local production outfit. I dont sing and will mostly do instrumental stuff (electric and acoustic)

What else do i need?? Wrong setup all together?? trying to keep it under 3 grand

2. onemind

onemind Member

I think it sounds like a pretty "pro" setup, of course you could save a great deal by putting together your own rack mount computer if you have that ability, and then use the savings to invest in a nice front end for the M-Box...a nice stereo pair of mic pres can make all the difference in quality.

3. Bo Faulkner

Bo Faulkner Member

The production outfit that I will do some stuff for has lots of tube pres... If I did tracks on my stuff could they run it through their pres when they finish it?

4. onemind

onemind Member

Lots of guys are running their digital mixes through an analog summing mixer, which is really the same thing, most think it will "warm up" all those ones and zeros, but especially for guitar there is definitely something to having that 57 through a good pre that adds something to the tracking.

5. Bo Faulkner

Bo Faulkner Member

hmmm this is definetly a thought.. how about acoustic stuff? My Martin is the HD 28 ve which has the fishman ellipse system (mic and bridge pickup) would this be usable or would i need to get a good mic for it?

6. onemind

onemind Member

Generally with a good acoustic that has a built in pickup I like to run two tracks, one direct and one mic'ed up. You'll want a better mic than the 57 for recording acoustic, there are tons of good chinese made large diaphgragm condenser mics available that will do a good job on acoustic.