• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Nord piano/keyboard market dominance?

chillybilly

TGP is obviously focused on guitar/bass but when I do the compulsory visual inventory of a band's gear on TV or in person I see a wildly disproportionate number of Nord keyboards.

With admittedly spotty knowledge of the keys/sample/computer/digital corner of the world I can only assume their dominance is the result of having a vastly superior and/or versatile product?

A quick MF check reveals the 88-key version selling for a cool $4,500! Ouch! It even includes a control for pedal noise (!?!?).

derekd

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah, but they do organs and such better than anyone else.

Unless you want to hump your B3 and Leslie around to each gig, that $4500 is money well spent. I played with a guy who had two different ones. I will never forget what it sounded like the first time at rehearsal. Sweet!

Crowbar

Yeah man, the Nord is cool. I heard that sound outside the room and had to look in to see what it was. Great EP sounds on them too. You can hear the money. Easy to operate too, good for old guys like me.

But yeah, not priced for me. I have a $700 keyboard, if i ever upgrade it will be just a little. I want one with drawbars.

Scottone

Really nice keyboards...much more reasonable if you buy used. I picked up a used Electro 3 a couple years ago for 1K.

Wibcs39

The keyboardist I play with uses one, and it sounds excellent. Remember that unlike guitars, gigging boards are typically digital, and crappy digital probably sounds less "pro" than a solid guitarist using a cheap guitar onstage.

I always find it interesting that you see almost all Nords for organ and piano, and mostly Moogs for synths.

thirsty one

Silver Supporting Member
Nord is the hot keyboard of the moment.
Wish I could justify the purchase of one.
I will stay with my Yamaha Mox6 for B3/ C3 organ sounds.
What would be a good price for one of these Yamaha Mox6? Is that one of the best values in your opinion. I would like to pick up a keyboard.

Steve Hotra

Gold Supporting Member
What would be a good price for one of these Yamaha Mox6? Is that one of the best values in your opinion. I would like to pick up a keyboard.
I am a Yamaha fanboy...been so for years.
But I wanted a light weight keyboard with great piano / organ sounds.
The Mox6 has them.
I see them used for 900.00 to 800.00. I have the first generation.
Semi weighted keys like an organ.
And its super light weight.
Made out of plastic ... but has the brains of the Motif.
I would look at GC used section at their website.
You should have no problem finding one used.

AlexL

I own a Nord Electro 3 73 I purchased new about 4 years ago. Like Derekd said, they do organs incredibly well. In my last band I was in, I used it for Hammond organ sounds, and occasionally for synth or electric piano. It is the most durable keyboard I've owned. Built like a brick shirt house. Features are sparse, but there's pretty much a knob or button for every function so it is very easy to use. The lack of extensive features is not really an issue because it sounds so damn good.

Nords are not cheap, but they are worth the price.

E.

thirsty one

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks Steve, that is quite reasonable and would be a great tool for improving my limited ability on keys.

greenlander

I've been seriously considering a Nord C2D organ but the cost is a tough pill to swallow. I realize they're hand made in Sweden so I imagine the build quality is top notch, especially since most every other competitor is made in China, but still...the price...ouch.

The other small quibble is the lack of detailed adjustment of parameters. Most of the Nord choices for settings are something like "Low/Normal/High", whereas with Hammond (I own an XK-1c), you can get super fine adjustments on every parameter. For example, you can dial key click completely out on the Hammond but not on the Nord. Those little quirks are lacking for that kind of money. But having all those drawbars would be awesome.

Maybe Nord will add features to their OS with the next organ model.

mojotele65

I bought a Electro 4SW73 last year and have never regretted it. It has an amazing key bed, vast library of sounds, good feature set. I wanted exactly what the Nord excels at, Hammond, Vox, Farfisa and Mellotron, it does not disappoint. I will be saving my pennies for a Lead 4 for my next key purchase. My wife and my band mates thought I was nuts spending 2k on a key board, until the 1st time I brought it to practice and played it. As one of you said earlier, you can hear the money.

TheBradge

Honestly, i have played a Nord Electro 3 a couple of weeks ago during a jamsession and i don't understand what all the fuzz is about.

Sure, their Piano / E.Piano / Organ sounds are top notch, but i find the keybed lacking in every aspect, my Yamaha Tyros has a better keybed.

It's fantastic for the Piano's and Organs (Sounds insanely close to a Rhodes/Wurli/B3 or even to a Steinway/Bosendorfer) So i can understand why people buy it. (It's much easier to carry around than a big old Piano/Organ)

But then again, A laptop with 16gigs of ram, a 250+ Gig SSD and great sample libraries and a good M-Audio midi-keyboard or a DX7 as a midi controller (Which has a fantastic keybed) is cheaper, lighter, and can sound much better, even for other sounds than just Pianos/Organs.

My Nord Electro is an indispensable tool for live gigs. It sounds killer and weighs next to nothing. Factor in the ability to download new patches as they become available and it's a no-brainer for me. I've been eyeballing a Nord digital piano to replace my old Roland.

BTW, I'm not affiliated in any way, shape, or form with Nord.

Al Varez

Check out the Roland VR-09. Lightweight, specializes in organ sounds(has drawbars) has dedicated piano,synth sections, way cheaper than even a used Nord.

Nords sound great but I don't think they sound $2,500-$3000 better than a Roland. I think most of the price difference is attributable to an unfavorable exchange rate.

dansworld

Gold Supporting Member
My old keys guy had a Nord Lead; it was an awesome Minimoog killer. It had that fat sweet multi oscillator sound which I'm a sucker for. Been thinking of buying a Fatty as a result, just to noodle on!

Al Varez

My old keys guy had a Nord Lead; it was an awesome Minimoog killer. It had that fat sweet multi oscillator sound which I'm a sucker for. Been thinking of buying a Fatty as a result, just to noodle on!
I see a lot of people dumping their Sub Phatty's for cheap ($600-ish almost brand new) since the Sub 37 was announced.

Trending Topics