Norlin wine, or not?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Barenik, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Barenik

Barenik Member

Hallo everybody!
    Yesterday evening a friend of mine offered me this guitar.
    I never had a Norlin LP and I don't know what's better or worse then a recent custom shop's models (that I know).
    The first things I can notice are: pancake body, the weight (I think not less then 4,5kg), singlecoil-alike sound and a beautiful colour.

Serial is 001348XX in an oval adhesive in the back of peghead.

He ask me 2000eur (about 2140 bucks today)m with OHSC.

I'm very undecided.

Help me with your sugestions!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. rewihendrix

rewihendrix Member

It's good that the frets have been changed.

Norlin era was the best for Gibson, and miles better than the new ones. I still think that's overpriced though.

3. Dereksslide

Dereksslide Member

Remember he's in Italy. Prices this side of the pond tend to be much higher on everything, new and second hand.

4. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Member

Man that's a nice one. I've got a '77 LP Deluxe I picked up about 2 yrs. ago. I got an amazing deal on it at a pawnshop. It's all original and the deal was so good because it had a cracked headstock.

I got it fixed up and unless you knew it previously had the break, you wouldn't be able to see it.

I'd have never paid the going rate of the guitar If I hadn't bought it at a discount.

I know guitars are more expensive over there, so if you really feel it's the one, I say go for it. They're never going to get cheaper, so you might as well take the plunge.

Here's some pics of my '77:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

5. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

There are guys who like Norlin LPs. I can't freakin' stand them.

I'm sure that there's a few gems out there. No way to know if this is one of them.

Recent Custom Shop models blow 'em away in my experience.

6. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Member

Can you score a Custom shop for $750? I'd NEVER pony up Custom Shop prices. They're just crazy. Used is always the way to go.

Why spend all the money on a CS and lose you butt a year or 2 later trying to move it?

7. zztomato

zztomato Supporting Member

Are you completely mad?

The Norlin era is considered to be the "dark days" in Gibson history. Some of the worst Gibson guitars ever made came from this time.

8. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

I was gonna say that...

Uh, the OP is talking about laying out 2000 euro for a Norlin era guitar, not a 750-dollar pawn shop bargain.

Used CS is a great option.

I'd never buy new CS myself, and I prefer the cheaper R8s to the R9s and R0s, too...

But that's me.

9. DoctorBob

DoctorBob Member

Here's my thoughts. Norlin had the bad rep due to weird models and heavy guitars. Also, some changes thought strange (pancake body, different headstock, later year maple neck) .Finally, the weird ownership is reported probably truly to have favored business principles and money issues over quality. Nonetheless, if you get a regular type model that is not too heavy, you got a great guitar. Pancake body makes no difference, neither does the headstock--in fact the headstock doesn't look much different than what is on a 345. I am an admitted guitar snob with 35 great guitars including 20 primo vintage pieces (like a '64 Cherry Red 335). I have a '72 Cherry Burst Deluxe--not very heavy, gorgeous burst, great sounding mini-hums, one of the best feeling necks of all my guitars.One of my favorite vintage pieces--and yes I think its old enough to call vintage--I didnt say "Golden Years". Check out the TrueFire vids of Robben Ford on a Goldtop Deluxe-he seems OK with it. That red guitar you are looking at is stunning--wish I had it

10. Tom CT

Tom CT Old Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

The "00" serial number is from 1976. I had a '76 Standard in the same color. Play it and listen to it. It may be a fine guitar, although I agree that the price is on the optimistic side.

11. Ilduce

Ilduce And now for something completely different! Supporting Member

I don't know anything about prices, but that's one beautiful LP Deluxe!

12. treeofpain

treeofpain Supporting Member

I can't speak of prices, since i am not in Italy. Obviously, Gibson guitars are cheaper here in the USA, but that does not help the OP.

I will speak to the general quality of these guitars. They are very solid and generally of excellent quality, but they are not of the same quality as a more modern Custom Shop guitar. They are like other 70's instruments (Fender, etc) that have their own charm and vibe, and if you like that, then maybe it is a good guitar for you.

13. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

OP, I'm not a fan of the typical Gibson wine red color, but that one doesn't look typical.....I like it! If the neck feels good to you, get it!

14. leftycajun

leftycajun Member

Norlin Era LP's stopped costing $750 a loooong time ago.

15. Castro

Castro Member

16. misterturtlehead

misterturtlehead Member

A few years ago I went to my favorite guitar store to try out some Gibson Custom Shop Les Pauls and possibly buy one. I tried them all and thought they were all nice. But after playing them I wasn't compelled to buy any of them. I did buy a Les Paul that day from the same store. It is a 1974 Deluxe.

All things considered, if I had $2140 today and didn't already have a Les Paul Deluxe I would probably want to buy the Les Paul Deluxe that this thread is about.

17. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Supporting Member

Ciao, amico. No so come spiegare che volo dire nel Italiano, cosi scrivo nel Inglese. Play the guitar at the volume and distortion level and gear you would normally use to make sure thr pickups won't whistle. Si deve suonare la chitarra , se ti piace, non trovo il prezzo troppo anche nelle Stati Uniti. I problemi degli Les Paul strumenti del eta Norlin e un po esageratto.

18. GuitarInnovations

GuitarInnovations Member

I used to own a Norlin era Standard in wine red. It was my number one for a few years.

Purists knock them for obvious reasons, as they were a departure to the original construction methods, but from a practical standpoint they were actually quite durable.

The three piece maple necks are nearly indestructable. Additionally, they were not so susceptible to the effects of humidity that mahogany Les Paul necks have to deal with. They sounded great, too.

19. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Member

Maybe so, but I got '77 LP Deluxe all original for $750 w/ OHSC 2 yrs. ago.

20. Tom CT

Tom CT Old Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Me too.

We have a TGP member who gives about the best lessons on all of YouTube who plays a wine red '75 Deluxe. He did a pickup swap, and his guitar just kills, as does his playing. Just phenomenal.

His channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAwuvzhah0KUw5QNihSkEwQ

An example -