Norm's blues backing mic comparo test

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by scottl, Nov 5, 2005.

1. scottl

scottl Member

Hi,

I just recorded these two takes on Norm's tasty Just and Excuse backing. My Fender/Fuchs mod into the new Two Rock Sig cab loaded with Tonespotters.

Recorded dry.

I am amazed at the HUGE difference between the Audix I5 mic and the Shure SM57. The 57 sounds like it has a blanket over it. I changed nothing between takes.

Audix I5 take http://www.scottlernermusic.com/oct/excuseIRI5.MP3

Shure SM57 take http://www.scottlernermusic.com/oct/excuseIRb.MP3

EDIT: Here is the better SM57 mic take (my other SM57) http://www.scottlernermusic.com/oct/excuseIRotherSM57.MP3

Sorry for the endless wank... Just zoning a tad on the backing.

Fwiw, I like the mids of the SM57 but it could use a bit of the I5's top end. THe I5 seems a tad off in the low mids.

Scott

2. Normster

Normster Member

That's a pretty amazing difference. I always lose clarity when I record but just haven't done anything about it. I guess it may be time to retire my SM57.

3. scottl

scottl Member

4. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

Remind me to run in the other direction when you post an SM57 on the emporium! :p

Nice playing throughout, Scott.

5. gsozz

gsozz Member

I think the Audix sounds better than all sm57 clips. Nice and clear with great top end. Does it produce a more true repesentation of what your amp sounds like live or does it tend to color the sound?
    As for the endless whanking.......keep it up, your helping me put together my "Scottl tasty licks to learn from CD"
    Great playing ...........good to see you posting again!

gsozz

6. SteveVHT

SteveVHT Member

I just ordered one because I've heard so many comparison clips with these two mics and it's clear that the 57 doesn't sound nearly as clear.
    I got it with a $99 buy it now that includes the mic, mic clip, cable and free shipping on the bay....
    I'll post some more clips when I get it.
    Thanks for the post Scott, sounds great.
    Steve

7. hemlock

hemlock Guest

big difference and the audix certainly is clearer. There's definitley some beef in the 57 that's missing from the Audix, though. Using both on two different tracks might be a great low cost way of getting a really killer take. Thanks for the clips.

BTW, I saw Barry R a couple of weeks ago and told him that I had run into you on line and he said to tell you hey. Y'all really shedded some together, huh?

8. gsozz

gsozz Member

The 57 seems to sound better the more I listen to these clips Scott.
    Your playing is steller as usual.
    I was suprised at how much difference there can be with the same type of mics.

Thought I would post the same done with an akg c1000s.
    Suhr strat
    Fuchs slx 50 and tone spotter.

gsozz

just an excuse