Norm's Kitchen - new tune and backing track

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by journo, May 21, 2005.

1. journo

journo Member

Hi,

When I posted my tune "Lazy Days", Normster gave it a very nice review. This made me happy and when I'm happy I write more tunes. So I wrote this tune called "Norm's Kitchen".

Coming up with a title is usually more of a problem than coming up with a tune. This time I got inspiration from Normster and an old saying from when I grew up. "If you're invited to eat in someones dining room, you're his aquintance. If you're invited to eat in someones kitchen, you're his friend." I have never met Normster but he seems so friendly that I think his kitchen is always full of people.

Soundwise this is very much inspired by Myron and his Suhr and Flexi-50 combination.

Norm's Kitchen

There's also a backing track. Please post if you can as I always learn from listening to others.

Norm's Kitchen Backing Track

Comments always welcome!

Cheers,

Mats N

2. Normster

Normster Member

I'm truly honored! What struck me as funny is that my old band was called "Gnome's Kitchen." (Not much of a band really. Just a few musicians that used to hang out and play in my kitchen and play the occasional gig. Best accoustics on earth in that kitchen. :D )

Pretty hot little tune, Journo. Nice ecclectic mix of styles as well. You have a great sense of melody and composition! All flattery aside, you're one of my favorite musicians on the net.:dude

BTW, thanks for the backing. With a title like that, I just HAVE to jam over it. :D

3. Myron Stratis

Myron Stratis Member

Sounds great Mats!:)

4. Woodyworld

Woodyworld Member

Very nice tune!.

Loved the middle section breakdown. I did a very quick cut and Murdered the tune !!

Timings out in places and flows not too good but hell it's only a bit of fun here it is warts and all:

Norms Pantry

5. journo

journo Member

Hi Woodyworld,

Thanks for posting. I kind of liked it. It was fun!

Cheers,

Mats N

6. Woodyworld

Woodyworld Member

Hehee, Last night After a bottle wine I thought I liked it, Stone cold sober the next day it's bloody awful ! :p

I'll try another take with the Skrydstrup later Sober !

7. Normster

Normster Member

Woodyworld, I don't know about the "sober" part, but if wine could help me play like that, I'd be a wino for sure! I love the tone and phrasing...and mostly the energy!!!

8. Woodyworld

Woodyworld Member

Cheques in the post Normster!

Full marks go to Journo though for writing such a good tune ! Write some more pleeease.

9. journo

journo Member

Hi Woodyworld,

Thanks for the kind words.

I have posted quite a few backing tracks in this style here before. Seek and you shall find.

BTW, where in the UK are you located?

Cheers,

Mats N

10. Woodyworld

Woodyworld Member

Hi Journo, I shall dig them Jems out. You've put the backing together very well, and you're playing great melodies over the top. They're fun to play over.

Oh I'm somewhere called Bedfordshire, Not too far away from Dunstable. I'm guessing you may have been here before?

All the best

Woody

11. Woodyworld

Woodyworld Member

Here's another equally off the wall take but with the Skrydstrup and sober this time !

Norm_Sober

12. journo

journo Member

Hi Woodyworld,

Not that I in any way want to promote drinking of alkoholic beverages and especially not in conjuction with making music but I must state that even if I liked this take I also liked the first one.

The sound here was better though. I have tried a Skrydsrup but couldn't make it sound as good as you can. Maybe I'm just not man enough. :D

Keep posting!

Cheers,

Mats N

13. lhallam

lhallam Member

Journo great playing and writing. Like your doubling of parts and how you blow through the middle section. There's melody in you.

Woody - killer both sober and straight. Shows consistency which is hard to achieve. I like your use in various techniques, very cool. It's the parts that make the gumbo.

14. journo

journo Member

Hi lhllam,

Thanks for listening. The statement about there being melody in me really made me happy.

Cheers,

Mats N

15. Woodyworld

Woodyworld Member

lhallam dont you believe it mate!!! That's one of the many things that I'm always struggling with - consistency. I absolutley hate 99% of what I play and live for the 1% that's half decent and it's usually the simplest throw away lines.........The only reason I thought this take was 'nicer' was because my timing was better and I felt it flowed more....... First thing to go when I'm not playing well (or pissed) is always timing.

journo - the Skrysdtrup works for me but it's not for everyone. The tone your getting sounds just great and suits your style and that's what counts. What I love about Skrydstrup despite it's simplistic tone controls is that by just changing between the THD cab and the Wizards cab I can get very different sounds. Wizards sound great for the 'Rockier stuff' and the THD's sound great for the milder Jazzy blues stuff. The Suhr strat is also an essential part of me getting the sound I like.

Melody is everything and seems to flow from you Journo. I wish it was stronger in me but we all have our demons.

Love to hear some more guys takes on this track to pinch ideas from :dude