North Carolina Fall Amp Fest

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mlongano, Jul 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mlongano

mlongano Member

*** Update On The Amp Fest ***

The Amp Fest demos and Jam Session will be professionally videoed and hosted on a web site following the event by a generous TGP member named Eddie James (TGP name = Glide). Eddie has his own video production company in Atlanta, and has graciously volunteered to video the event as well as host the results on his company's webservers. Thanks so much Eddie!!

If you are bringing guests, please email me with names of your guests.

[FONT=&quot]All amplifier heads, combos, and cabinets entering the venue must be tagged with your name, wattage for amps, ohms for cabinets, and cabinet capacity in watts. Please prepare these tags in advance and ensure that they are securely attached to each piece of equipment. We will have a limited supply of blank tags available at the registration desk, but your advance tagging will speed the process immensely. We recommend tagging all equipment including cables, guitars, pedals, etc.

*** IMPORTANT - The staging personnel at the dock will not allow any amplifier heads, cabinets, combos, or guitars into the venue without a tag.

[/FONT]
    During the registration, you will be asked whether or not you will allow other participants to play your equipment. The equipment tags mentioned above will be coded with an access code. If you allow other people to play your equipment without your express permission, the tag will be marked with green. If you are willing for other people to play your equipment, but want to be advised before they play it, the tag will be marked in yellow. If you are not willing to allow other people to play your equipment the tag will be marked in red. Please check these access codes and comply with the owner's wishes prior to demoing an amp during the participant demo portion of the amp fest.

Please be aware that by attending this event, you are accepting the fact you alone are responsible for any equipment that you bring into the event, and that we accept no responsibility for your equipment.

During the registration, you will be asked whether or not you wish to participate in the jam fest.

During the registration you will be asked if you would like your amp(s) to be demoed by yourself or Ede Wright, our professional guitarist (see below for details on Ede Wright).

*** Details Regarding The Fall 2006 North Carolina Amp Fest ***

What: An opportunity to see, hear, evaluate, and play some of the most prominent boutique guitar amps available today.
    When: Sunday, November 5, 2006
    Time: 8:00 AM until 5:00 PM
    Where: The Creative Ej (pronounced Creative Edge), a professional music facility in Huntersville, North Carolina.
    12340 Mt. Holly-Huntersville Road
    Huntersville, NC 28078
    704-875-2135

www.creative-ej.com

*** Latest Amp Update ***

Aiken Invader
    Alessandro Redbone
    Ark Model A
    Bogner Duende (tentative)
    Bogner Shiva
    Carr Rambler
    Carr Vincent (Prototype)
    Clark Beaufort
    Carr Vincent
    Clark Tyger
    Crate VC 5115
    dAAB Tupeloo Honey
    Divided By 13 FTR37
    Divided By 13 LDW 17/39
    Dr Z Z28
    Dr Z Carmen Ghia
    Dr. Z Mini Z
    Dr. Z Route 66
    Egnater Mod 50
    Epiphone Blues Custom 30
    Fargen Bordeaux 30
    Fender '57 Tweed Twin
    Fender 1964 Bassman (Original, Blonde)
    Fuchs Frost 100
    Germino Club 40
    Germino Classic 45 Combo
    Germino Classic 45 Head
    Germino Monterey
    Germino Headroom 100 Bass
    Germino Lead 55
    Germino Lead 55 Lo Vo
    Goodsell Super 17 Mk2 1x12 Combo
    Goodsell Super 17 Mk2 2x10 Combo
    Goodsell Super 17 2x12 Combo With Reverb
    Goodsell 33 Custom 33 Watt Head
    Holland Lil Jimi
    Komet Concorde
    Komet Komet 60
    Lab Series L5
    Marshall JCM800 2204 50 watt vertical input
    Matchless SC-30
    Mesa Engineering Mesa Boogie MKI
    Reinhardt 18 Watt
    Reinhardt 36 Watt Titan
    Reinhardt 50 Watt Ampzilla
    Reinhardt Vintage 50
    Reinhardt EL84 Jester Prototype
    Reinhardt EL34 High Gain Prototype
    Reinhardt MI6 6v6 18 watt
    Rivera Knucklehead K-55
    Roland Bluescube BC30
    Sewell Texaplex
    Simmons Retropolitan
    Suhr Badger (tentative)
    Swart AST
    Texas Tube Amplifier Company MM5
    Texas Tube Amplifier Company MM6
    THD Bi-Valve 30
    Top Hat Supreme 16
    Two Rock Emerald

*** Update On Amp Fest ***

*** Registration Information***

If you wish to attend, please email me for a brief registration form. After you complete the registration form, please email it back to me. It's a very simple brief form.

I am providing lunch and soft drinks for the event (no alcohol is permitted at the venue)...I need to know how many people are attending.
    We will be requiring equipment tags to be securely fastened to all amps, cabs, and guitars at the amp fest. The purpose of this is to prevent somebody from inadvertently hooking up a 60 watt amp to a 15 watt Alnico blue speaker, or to prevent somebody from hooking up a 16 ohm head to an 8 ohm cabinet, etc.
    Additionally, the manufacturers need to know in advance which amps to bring to avoid duplications.

In addition, the registration forms are being used to schedule the demonstrations, as well as the jam session. Preprinted amp evaluation forms are being created to help the participants evaluate the amps.

Okay enough ranting about administrative trivia.

We will have a dedicated drummer and bassist for the jam session.

We will have a professional session guitarist, Atlanta's own Ede Wright, to help us demo the amps. The amp demonstrations will be conducted in the following manner:

The amp owners are encouraged to allow Ede Wright perform the demp on their amp for the sake of consistency. If an owner wants to demo his own amp(s), then the owner will conduct the demo. If the owner does not want to demo his own amp(s), then Ede Wright will demo the amp. The amp builders may wish to perform their own demonstrations.

Ede Wright will demo each of the amps not being demoed by the owner, by playing two series of demos...one with a single coil guitar and one with a humbucker guitar. The demo will consist of a clean demo, a crunch demo, and a gain demo. The owners may help Ede configure the correct settings on their own amp to aid in this process. We will be making six evaluations...clean, crunch, and gain (single coil), and clean, crunch, and gain (humbucker).

Following the owner demos, individual participants will demo the amps they are interested in.

The clinic at 1:00 pm until 2:00 pm will be presented by Rob Tavaglione, a professional sound engineer. In addition to managing sound for the Charlotte Bobcats and the Carolina Panthers, Rob has over twelve years of experience in professional music recording. Check out Rob's website at www.catalystrecording.com/main.html

Creative Ej has a top notch recording studio onsite, and the presentation will cover the topic of recording.

Any participants not interested in the clinic are free to continue private amp demonstrations and/or talking to the various amp manufacturers and vendors. Amp manufacturers and vendors will have their own dedicated rooms to conduct one on one sessions with interested parties.

The overall schedule is as follows:

Sunday November 5, 2006

8:00 AM - 9:00 AM Registration and Setup
    9:00 AM - 9:30 AM Facility Orientation By Creative-Ej
    9:30 AM - 12:00 PM Amp Demos
    12:00 - 1:00 PM Lunch
    1:00 PM - 2:00 PM Recording Clinic by Rob Tavaglione from www.catalystrecording.com/main.html
    2:00 PM - 4:00 PM Jam Session
    4:00 PM - 5:00 PM Tear Down

*** Vendor/Builder Participation ***

Ark Amps (Bill Compeau)
    Browntone Electronics (Tim Brown, Hoochee Mama Overdrive Pedal)
    dAAb Amps (Fred Daab)
    Fat Sound Guitars (Stu Carter)
    Germino (Greg Germino)
    Goodsell (Richard Goodsell)

Indoor Storm (Eddie Burman)
    McInturff Guitars (Terry McInturff)
    Reinhardt (Bob Reinhardt)
    Swart (Mike Swart)
    Texas Tube Amplifier Company (Mike Yankie)
    Top Hat (Brian Gerhard)

Hotel Related Information

There is a Red Roof Inn on Statesville Route 21, just south of I77 at Gilead that looks okay. It's about one mile form the venue. There is also a Courtyard Marriot at I77 and Route 73 (Exit 25) which looks nicer. This is about 3-4 miles from the venue.

Also a Country Suites (I77 at Exit 23, Gilead Road)

There are also very new hotels at I77 and Harris Blvd., about thee and one half miles south of the venue. Comfort Suites and Hilton Garden Suites.

2. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

Let me know how it goes Mike. I may come up for that. I can bring at least a Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JCM 800, and possibly a Budda.

3. BIGGERSTAFF

BIGGERSTAFF Member

I'm assuming you'd have it in Charlotte. Any ideas on the location? Depending on the date, I could bring a Germino Classic 45, Dr Z Maz jr, Delta 88, Guytron GT100FV, Carr El Moto.

4. mlongano

mlongano Member

Well, it does not necessarily have to be in Charlotte. The location will have to be one of the first decisions to be made.

Does anybody know whether an average hotel would tolerate such an activity in one of their conference rooms, given the expected level of noise? If a hotel would allow an amp fest, that would certainly open up all kinds of locations.

I thought Charlotte might be a good location due to the fact that it's right on the border of North and South Carolina, has a major airport, and would be an easy drive for several Boutique amp manufacturers that frequent this forum.

5. HammyD

HammyD Supporting Member

Depending on the date and no prior conflicts I could bring a '67 ProReverb.

6. bluescube

bluescube Supporting Member

I can bring my Roland bluscube30 2x10 combo so y'all can taste one of the best kept secrets in SS amps.

7. LavaMan

LavaMan Gold Supporting Member

I tried to do one in Fayetteville in late spring and it did not work out. I have a community center in my neighborhood that can be used - I had it reserved, but not enough interest.

I went to the one last year up near Raleigh and it was awesome.

Reccomendations:

1. Schedule for a Sunday
    2. Get Fat Sound and Indoor Storm to commit - they can bring some killer amps!
    3. Have a fairly well-known player do a clinic
    4. Have food

I am still willing to do it at my location - Sunday is the key as this will not conflict with business hours of Fat Sound and Indoor Storm.

8. bluescube

I also know a guy in winston with Carvin X100b and Legacy heads.

9. mlongano

mlongano Member

Thanks everybody, and keep the comments and suggestions coming. I'm hoping we'll have enough interest to pull this off!!

10. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

I would love to attend if I could. I can bring a Germino Club 40 and a Route 66. If I dont sell my Ampeg VT-40 from the early 70s (in the emporium now)-that could possibly come to. Can you PM me some information on where and when? Thanks!

11. mlongano

mlongano Member

How many people do you need to make it feasible?

12. Calloway

Calloway Supporting Member

I would love to come, but all I have to offer is my Bumbox (Boombox) Cielo head and cab. Not very many down here, you guys may find it interesting.

13. mlongano

mlongano Member

Anyone interested in playing or hearing these amps is invited, whether you have an amp you'd like to bring along or not!! This is not limited to Boutique amps either, but I'm hoping to attract a good representation of the Boutiques that many people seldom have an opportunity to play or hear.

14. suhr_rodney

suhr_rodney Supporting Member

Count me in. I'm willing to help with arrangements, too. Where was the one near Raleigh held last year? Somehow I missed the word on that one... bummer! :(

15. LavaMan

It is fairly small, and furnished, but there is one empty room, a decent size main room, an ajoining kitchen/dining area with wet bar and there's an office also.

Max capacity would be about 40-50 folks.

16. mlongano

mlongano Member

Well that's very encouraging...Forty to fifty sounds like quite a few to me. I'll keep it in mind as things develop.

What I'd like to do is have an inventory of the amps that will be there, and have people sign up in advance in terms of their desire to "play" versus "listen to" the amp. For example, I may want to listen to an Aiken Sabre being played with high gain, but not necessarily need to play it myself.

Then we can put together a schedule. What I want to avoid is ten different people playing ten different amps at the same time, and everyone being annoyed or frustrated.

17. LavaMan

Did you attend the last one?

I started a thread just like this one back in May. Here's the thread:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=137735&highlight=nc+ampfest

This was a tentative agenda:

9 am to 11 am: Set Up/Introductions

11 am to Noon: Amp/Guitar Demo's

Noon to 1 pm: Lunch/Socialize (continue demos if necessary)

1pm to 2pm: Guitar Clinic TBD (Have a few high profile ideas)

2 pm - 3pm: Jam Session

3pm - 4pm: Tear Down

18. Playloudd308

Playloudd308 Supporting Member

i would be in for that, id bring the rockytop and the twreck clone

19. BIGGERSTAFF

BIGGERSTAFF Member

I've got a buddy here in town, that has quite a collection. I'll bring this to his attention as he has quite a few really nice pieces.

20. bluescube

I would like to see some "shootouts" too. At a Carvin get together a while back, I put my Bluescube30 against a Laney VC30 and it was fun comparing the two.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.