North Carolina

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Totally Bored, Mar 25, 2019.

1. Totally Bored

Totally Bored Member

Where's a good place to live :dunno
    ( Think retirement )

I need to gig doing Solo, Duo, Trio stuff so it has to be in a populated area.

FWIW, wife and I did The Outer Banks - Nags Head area a few years ago for a vacation. Wife loved it but I didn't see a place I could gig at. We didn't do the drive along the coast towards Jacksonville area so maybe it gets better/more populated ?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  2. mixn4him

mixn4him Supporting Member

Raleigh/Durham and Asheville have the better music scene, Maybe Wilmington area if you want to be near the beach as MB is not too far south if you had to gig there..

3. guitarJoe91

guitarJoe91 Member

Agreed on all of the above. Asheville is probably your best bet for making something out of the music scene. It’s 6 hours from the coast though, so there are negatives. I live close to Winston-Salem, which is in middle northern part of the state; 2 hours from Asheville, 2 from Raleigh and 4 from Wilmington, so I’m not too far out from any of these cities as have traveled to all to play. Purely from a music standpoint, Ashevilles the place to be.

CPower, Crowder and Totally Bored like this.
  4. Totally Bored

Totally Bored Member

Cool, this info I need

Great info.

So I live in the Hudson Valley New York. Ulster/Orange County area.
    In my area there are so many Wineries, Brew Pubs, Restaurants that I don't need to drive more than a Hour away for a gig.

I;m guessing Its like that around you in the Winston Salem :dunno
    I'm guessing it's like that in the Raleigh/ Durham /Asheville area also :dunno

Wife and I are planning a bunch of 3 day weekends in NC to explore this summer so I'm trying to figure out where to go :dude

5. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

I hate to say it, but NC's strength is not in its communities but in the rugged beauty of its mountainous areas, through which wonderful rivers run.

Of the 13 original colonies, NC was pretty easily the least populated of all of them, per square mile. During the War Between the States, almost no key military objectives actually existed in North Carolina. And the number of soldiers and noncombatants lost in that war was probably smaller than any other Rebel state except Arkansas. So, the habitation is relatively new and almost like Orlando, the fabric is really not there so much.

You would, in effect, have to create your own scene, I think.

I've driven around Asheville on a Holiday, and the place looked like it had been evacuated. Everything was shut down tight. It is quickly getting better, but if you're accustomed to NYC and the constant buzz of activity, you might be shocked.

Totally Bored likes this.
  6. fataxeman

fataxeman Supporting Member

Asheville is a beautiful place if you like the mountains, nature, hiking, some snow in the winter months and cooler summer temps than the Piedmont (Winston-Salem/Greensboro, Charlotte, Raleigh area), etc.. I lived in Boone (a couple hours away) for a little less than 1/2 my life (so, about 25 years).

I used to play out a lot back in Boone; mostly 8-track, cassette and later on, CDs. :D Especially on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Beautiful!

I can't speak for any of the other areas, but Asheville is a pretty happening place; along with all the varied bands holed up around Asheville and the surrounding towns, I don't think you can discount the influence of the indigenous music of the Appalachians. I feel that bluegrass, folk, etc. probably influence a lot of the music being made in the area. And that's a pretty good thing as far as I'm concerned.

jpervin and Totally Bored like this.
  7. guitarJoe91

guitarJoe91 Member

Raleigh and Charlotte (another city with a decent scene) will probably be more to your liking if your used to the hustle and bustle of NY.

Winston-Salem is quickly growing and exactly like what you described. At least 10 wineries in a 50 mile radius that book music, numerous bars, pubs, and actual music venues that cater to both cover and original bands, and plenty of restaurants that book solo acts. You just have to know where to look and be persistent if you want to get booked.

8. jamess

jamess Silver Supporting Member

This is completely opposite of my 2-day Asheville experience a couple years back. I enjoyed live music, food and drinks until probably 2am at Jack of the Woods.

9. Totally Bored

Totally Bored Member

Ain't that the truth. I always say - trying to book at 20 different venues is like dealing with 20 horrible HR departments :omg

10. Bluzeboy

Bluzeboy Member

There’s no scene here.. better to stay where you are...

Damn yankees :)

justabubba, LPMRSHLL, DrumBob and 4 others like this.
  11. Stike

Stike Member

Besides the beaches east of Raleigh is more or less nothing. My mother in law lives in the Jacksonville area and if she didn't I'd have zero reason to spend any time there.

I moved to Chapel Hill in 1976 and have lived in Durham since 1995. The Triangle area and especially Durham has been transforming over the last 10-15 years not unlike what I've seen in Austin, Seattle which isn't 100% great. I mean it's better than being a dead town because the tobacco jobs are gone but the influx of tech-bros is noticable.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  12. Raygun Gothic

Raygun Gothic Member

No.

[​IMG]
    https://www.battlefields.org/learn/articles/civil-war-casualties

LPMRSHLL and crambone like this.
  13. Raygun Gothic

Raygun Gothic Member

I concur. Bad juju! Stay home! :omg

14. Raygun Gothic

Raygun Gothic Member

So I guess you remember when Cat's Cradle was one of those places a band needed to play if they were going to have a shot at going anywhere?

RupertB, fretless and Bluzeboy like this.
  15. crambone

crambone Supporting Member

I have no horse in this race but I will say I've never visited a place more beautiful than extreme-western NC (Murphy, Hayesville, Franklin). Amazing places up there.

Crowder, fretless and fataxeman like this.
  16. Totally Bored

Totally Bored Member

I promise I'll be good :aok

17. Raygun Gothic

Raygun Gothic Member

@Totally Bored, I'm not trying to threadjack. I lived there until about a decade ago. There was a thriving music scene in the Triangle area up until 2000 or so. I don't think there's much now except for folk, bluegrass and country.

18. Totally Bored

Totally Bored Member

It's all good.

I'm not looking for a super happening place to make a career. I just want to gig out on the weekend and maybe occasional weekday gig. Don't want to move to the middle of no where and have nothing. This thread helps. I've got a good idea of where I'm gonna explore. :aok

19. vltjd

vltjd Supporting Member

To the OP, thanks for the post and to all who have contributed. Originally from NYC, have been in Central Illinois the last four years, near Champaign-Urbana, which must be the most boring college town ever. Am looking for a retirement site as well, and have looked online at Asheville, Raleigh-Durham and Winston-Salem. Also looking at Nashville, TN. Will be visiting those areas in April. Will report back. Maybe we can share notes?

20. fetishfrog

fetishfrog Member

I've never lived there, but have visited, both on vacation and touring more than a few times.

Nags Head and the other coastal cities are beautiful, expensive, and I imagine challenging for retirement. The barrier islands there are on my short list of favorite places on Earth.

I've been through Asheville a few times, on vacation and tour. In summer and holidays, it can be a bit sleepy, which is nice. When school is in session, it's as buzzing as any active campus. There's a variety of music there, all the folks I know there play more experimental stuff. Plenty of bluegrass, rock, and folks if that's your thing.

Charlotte felt like it was owned my Bank of America. I was there with a friend on a Saturday night and for the live of us we couldn't find anything to do downtown. This was a while ago though, so perhaps things have changes.

The comment about Western NC above is spot on, just shockingly beautiful.

Roark and Totally Bored like this.