North Carolina

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Totally Bored, Mar 25, 2019.

1. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Member

There's a rarely-mentioned other option in the middle there: Knoxville, TN. I grew up there. The music scene was pretty sparse back then but the downtown area has since been renewed and rebuilt and there has been a great growth in the music scene. They've got several venues for small groups in the Olde Town and on Market Square. It is also the center of "Olde Tyme" music, the Elizabethan music that came over with the settlers and hasn't changed a lot since. The main campus of the University of Tennessee is in the middle of town and there are venues along "The Strip" which is adjacent. Also, for entertainment venues to work, there are two resport towns, Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg, south of K-Town.

What are the side benefits? There are the Tennessee River and numerous embayments of the Tennessee River system in the area that offer lots of boating and camping. Just south of K-Town is the Great Smokey Mountains National Park as well as several national forests. Many locals run to the Park on weekends to get away from civilization.

Knoxville is three hours from Nashville and two from Asheville.

Bob

Boris Bubbanov likes this.
  2. scmavl

scmavl Enjoyer Silver Supporting Member

This guy gets it. I've lived in the Asheville area a bit longer than him, but it's not a town where it's easy to make money playing music. Now if you just like to play and the pay isn't a driver, it's a great town. I've played everything from the premier venues like The Orange Peel, all of the breweries, down to the seedy bars and restaurants that draw no crowd. But I was always playing TO PLAY, and not to make money.

As for the town itself, I love it. I work downtown and while traffic can be frustrating sometimes, if you have lived in any sizeable city then you'll laugh at our idea of "heavy traffic". Houses aren't cheap relative to other similarly sized southern towns, but those towns don't offer what this town does. Excellent culinary scene, plenty to do, and most importantly to me it feels like a small town.

If you're looking for places to live or have other questions about the area @Totally Bored feel free to send me a message.

3. vltjd

vltjd Supporting Member

Should have mentioned in my earlier post Knoxville, TN which seems to have a lot happening. Thanks for chiming in. Saw this cool house with an indoor basketball court and soundstage. If only.

4. jthomps123

jthomps123 Supporting Member

Triangle gets my vote. Its centers your between the beaches and mountains.

5. Bob Maximus

Bob Maximus Silver Supporting Member

I think TN is ok for gigging outside of Nashville. I take fairly short road trips to get to paying gigs, though honestly, the agents usually send the bands pretty far. I've driven to Nebraska to start tours and ended up in Minnesota before heading back to Nashville. I can play 7 nights a week in Nashville; and not make a penny, so there is that. Also, as Vince sang, it's a young man's town, and being over 40 can get you frowned on at a lot of places. F-them though. I won't spend a penny at bars/clubs that promote "ageism" against older musicians.

There was an interesting study last year by Bankrate for top-to-bottom states to retire in https://www.bankrate.com/retirement/best-and-worst-states-for-retirement/.

We still don't pay state tax in TN; but they do tax dividend/bond income after $2500; which is a bit of a burden for my wife and I since it is the bulk of our income.

ShredSquatch likes this.
  6. hellbender

hellbender Member

I recall this area as fertile ground for northerners looking for better climate and good paying jobs c. 1970 but unwilling to migrate to the western states. 50 years later it seems it's bursting with group dynamics that are constantly at odds with each other from news reports I get. Fabulous country all told just maybe be prepared for transitional effects as younger supplants older.

7. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Member

It's a chance to be a bigger frog in a smaller pond!

Bob

8. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

I guess you don't know much about history. If this slim pickings impresses you. NC was a rural state, partitioned off from the dominant South Carolina, as attempts at early settlement ended in frustration and failure. And NC remained somewhat unsettled and unspoiled while states such as Mississippi (!!) accumulated serious wealth.

And the few Presidents that North Carolina tries to claim, either didn't live there at all, or they left as young, as soon as they could and made Tennessee their home. Now I see that North Carolina is trying to suggest that Abraham Lincoln was also born there, and much earlier than 1809. Weird. Don't sweat it. NC has no history and that's OK. In fact, it is an asset.

And Bless your tiny heart as well, gracious.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
  9. dave s

dave s Member

Wilmington and south to Bald Head Island or Holden Beach perhaps? Have rels that recently relocated to Topsail Beach area after vacationing there for 20+ years. Topsail is about 40 minutes north of Wilmington. Nice place but it's March and already overrun with tourists meaning they can't even find a legal parking spot to enjoy the beach 5 minutes from their home.

I work for a large company who has sales staff and other representation everywhere. Called a couple of people down Wilmington way to ask about relocation opportunities. Both people indicated south of Wilmington would be preferable to the real beach destinations for everything NOT directly related to tourist and beach vacations.

When you get to the beach resort / vacation destinations, you're usually talking 'family time.' Sidewalks roll up at 8:30 every night and not much happens past 9pm. The college destination places like Wrightsville or Carolina beach boom for about 4 weeks a year, but nothing like a guy my age wants any part of.

When you move to the south of Wilmington toward places like Bald Head Island or Holden Beach, things change for the better. More artsy and laid back environments are easy to find. I'd also guess that Myrtle beach is about 30 minutes or so from Bald Head Island. Maybe a bit further, but not by much.

As far as getting gigs there, who knows. My gig would be more along the line of a burger and a beer at a place with a water view and NOT playing guitar! Darned nice area of the eastern seaboard a bit south of Wilmington, though.

10. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

I'm hearing some folks, still treating Wilmington and points south as Post Florence and many are trying not to get in the way until more recovery is completed. My aunt (Wilmington) was telling me about having to take a couple in, because their house was not yet fully repaired but outsiders were grabbing up all the available places to stay to the East/South of there.

I'm just speculating that some tourists have re-arranged what they're doing to stay out of the most heavily wrecked areas.

11. Bluzeboy

Bluzeboy Member

Never heard that one...thats funny..

12. jpervin

jpervin Supporting Member

Not to go too far off topic but, for a bit of historical trivia, there's Old Settler's Cemetery, right smack dab in the middle of Uptown Charlotte, which dates back to the Revolution.

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/48253/charlottes-oldest-cemetery-settlers-cemetery/

13. clint

clint Member

I always find these "best of" lists amusing. Family aside, who wants to retire to South Dakota? Problem is if they put more weight on the "weather" category (as I think most retirees do) those top 4 states (SD, UT, ID, NH, not to mention MT and WY) would not be in the top 10. Explains why so many are still retiring to places like FL.

Bob Maximus likes this.
  14. dave s

dave s Member

Yeah, forgot about the big storm last summer. In-laws had just moved there. Think they were in their home for about 3 weeks and had to evacuate for obvious reasons. Their home did fine, thankfully with no significant damage or loss. But they couldn't get back home for nearly 2 weeks due to inland flooding.

Guess that's the risk and price everyone pays for living near the 'big pond.'

15. cutaway

cutaway Supporting Member

What on earth are you talking about? Did you eat the brown acid?

Artjr and specs like this.
  16. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

That's when you know they weighted "low cost of living" too heavily.

17. Jimmy3Fingers

Jimmy3Fingers Member

It's not so bad here in Fuquay, having lived in Apex, Cary and N. Raleigh. Not a horrible commute most anywhere within reason (although I work from home) and is really building up around us.

Bought a new 2800 sq ft. home in one of the nicest neighborhoods for under $300K.

18. Stike

Stike Member

I was talking Durham specifically, it's getting kind of crazy. I guess I'm not complaining since I'm probably selling my house in the next couple years.

19. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sns-travel-us-lincoln-birthplace-txt-story.html

Now that NC is well ahead of its neighbors, and its prospects seem best, there's always someone who has to manufacture a past when in fact, it would be hard to visualize circumstances where a large colony had less of a role in the development of a new Nation. What is there about people, that they cannot stand the idea of an open spot on the maps, belonging mostly to Cherokees and so on. And not much else. Just enough that when we list it, we "damn them with faint praise".

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
  20. RupertB

RupertB Supporting Member

Yup. 500 year floods aren't what they used to be.

Anyone looking for coastal or "near coastal" property should bear in mind that the next storm could be coming soon & that just because you're not in a flood plain doesn't mean you're safe from flooding. I know several people, including my brother, who are still rebuilding & not for the first time.

Also, barrier islands are notoriously shifty things. If you drive through Carolina Beach, Kure Beach & down to Fort Fisher, you're driving on what was formerly Second Street. Guess where First Street is.

dave s likes this.