North NJ/NY Quality Luthiers

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by SimplyNJ, Jun 30, 2005.

1. SimplyNJ

SimplyNJ Guest

Hey out there in Gearpage land~...

I've been looking for quite some time for a well respected yet relatively unknown luthier to help me make my dream guitars and basses (5 in total) come true. Alot of them aren't "traditional" in any sense and I'm little fussy about what I want (that happens when you ponder over these things for 5 years). I'm simply tired of buying a nice instrument and having to fix/change the cheaply made parts, like switching out the 10 cent pots for something decent, upgrade to decent pickups, adding actual floyd rose guitars, etc... I figure I might as well spend all the money on an instrument thats perfect just for me...

So far from reading some of the posts I've only found Hill Guitars to really catch my eye but he's not even in the ball park (distance wise), I'm lookin for someone who is relatively close to where I am so I can talk and show descriptions on what I want in person rather than over the phone/e-mail... any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!...

2. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

Tom Doyle (T.W. Doyle Guitars), in Wantage, Sussex County.

Builds his own (guitars & pickup system), has done design consultation for Brian Moore, done repair & restoration for the Chinery Collection, Geoge Benson, Sting, and is Les Paul's sound engineer.

Top notch work, I've known Tom for years. You get what you pay for (not cheap) and quality can't be rushed, but he is a top quality luthier.

Regards,
    Jon

3. Neill

Neill Member

4. Gauge613

Gauge613 Member

I'm exactly in your area - livein nY - shop in nj
    but i've got a little bit of work ahead of me
    if you're willing to wait, a bit maybe i'm what you're lookin for
    i'm pretty quiet on this website but i've done a bunch of work for the guys at the seymour duncan forum

feel free to check out my site or email me with any questions
    (about to be updated)

www.gaugeguitars.com

5. SimplyNJ

SimplyNJ Guest

Hey guys thanks...
    I'll def. be in touch w/ some of you regarding the projects...
    Gauge... do you do neck through guitars?? and have any of you had any experience w/ basses??

Does Tom Doyle have a website or any sort of contact information so I can talk about my projects??

6. WhosYourPal

WhosYourPal Member

+1 for Fret Tech. Rob does outstanding work!

7. sonicparke

sonicparke Member

8. Gauge613

Gauge613 Member

Thanks for the interest - i'll be in touch via email guys

cheers

9. mrfjones

mrfjones Member

i have one gauge guitar on order right now and it is my second from him.
    (mine is the single cutaway under construction on his site)

He is a great builder, and an even better guy to deal with. I can not recommend him highly enough.

10. SimplyNJ

SimplyNJ Guest

Thanks guys... I've been gettin some good repsonses for the most part. Not many people do neck through though which is what I'm really looking for... but who knows a deep set neck pocket guitar might be just as good too... I just can't decide just yet!!! anyone have any comments of whether or not neck through/set neck are better than eachother?? (kind of a silly question I know)... :confused: Anyhoo all the feedback has been really awesome!

11. spencerbk

spencerbk Member

This isn't the most informative site around - but here's the contact info - http://www.tnsdoyle.com/guitars.html

I've personally never played a Doyle guitar (still fenders and gibsons for me) - but my teacher from when I lived in NJ had a gorgeous custom and swore by him for all his repair and setup work

12. -kk-

-kk- Member

yup, David can set you up good.

13. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Member

I have a friend who does some awesome custom stuff. No website up yet, but I can put you in touch with him, and you can visit his (North Jersey) shop.

14. michaelg

michaelg Member

Andy<
    does he do repair setup etc?
    thank you,
    michael

15. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

Cool... I didn't know Tom had his web site up, I was just about to post his phone no.

He is a monster player in the Chet Atkins/Les Paul vein (quite a combo)!

I've played a couple of his guitars and they're top notch, as has been his repair & restoration work on 3-4 of my guits.

Jon

16. John Mayes

John Mayes Member

roger sadowsky is in brooklyn.

17. SimplyNJ

SimplyNJ Guest

Yea... I've pretty much contacted everyone and then some... but I guess w/ the holiday I should expect some responses within a couple days. BTW thanks andy for the luthiers info, hopefully things will work out.

18. cr8z4life

cr8z4life Member

You might want to try Jimmy.....aside from making an incredible amp, which I purchased, he also does tech work on amps and guitars.......I am giving him my Les Paul Brazilian to do some work on.....here is his website.....

http://sommatone.com/amps.html

19. hansoloist

hansoloist Supporting Member

I'll second that. Jimmy is in the process of building me a Strat style guitar. I got the body and neck from USA Custom Guitars. I've played several guitars that Jimmy's built and all are awesome. I have no doubt mine will be as well.

peace
    -jeff

20. SimplyNJ

SimplyNJ Guest

Thanks guys!... unfortunately due to family health problems I won't be ordering a guitar w/in the next couple of months... but yea thanks for all the info... and if any other people have an other people they recommend feel free to drop a post!!

Cheers~