• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Northeast members...when do you start humidifier your soundholes again??

Russ73

I live in NY and the weather is changing...when do I start putting the humidifier in the soundhole to avoid cracks!! Just asking...

M

Member 37136

Like Dave says, once the heater is kicking on regularly, you should start humidifying. To take the guesswork out of it, get an in-case hygrometer. Even an inexpensive one will do the job.

Parlorman

Gold Supporting Member
I keep my guitars in a humidity controlled display cabinet, but the principal is the same. I have accurate hygrometers and start the humidification when the humidity drops. That’s usually when the heat comes on.

Bluedano1

It's about time right now in Northern Va.

I just have 2 acoustics, a Martin and a Blueridge and I use the Planet Waves one ( sponge inside the plastic thingie) that you attach to the strings inside the soundhole.
My problem is I like to have 1 guitar out all the time, as I'm always playing.
So I'm always alternating, and will now put the 'player' too, back in its case at night. Keep the humidifiers used as much as possible.

bojocatkite

I keep my guitars in a humidity controlled display cabinet, but the principal is the same. I have accurate hygrometers and start the humidification when the humidity drops. That’s usually when the heat comes on.
What type/brand of Hygrometer do you use ?

Parlorman

Gold Supporting Member
What type/brand of Hygrometer do you use ?
I’ve had a number of them over the years, but the ones I have now are Western Caliber IV’s. They may be being sold under the “Cigar Oasis” brand now. In my experience they are very accurate out of the box and supposedly easy to calibrate (although I’ve not had to do so).

DeSolo

Gold Supporting Member
As soon as my music room hygrometer drops below 49%.

I'm getting a larger whole-house humidifier for the furnace next week. The smaller one kept us above 36% all winter, so a small additional room humidifier kept it in the mid to high 40s easily.

Curious to see what this one does.

rmconner80

Cantankerous Luddite
Gold Supporting Member
Once the hygrometer goes under low 40s in per cent, which is indeed around when the heater starts up. Haven’t hit that yet, in fact it’s 55% in my basement right now.

radicool

I find the case packs a nuisance to keep up with, although they work great. I just keep all the guitars in the same room and use a room humidifier - much easier. And yes, when the heat comes on for the winter, the humidifier comes on.

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
yup, when the house heat kicks on it's time to start thinking about guitar humidity

Trending Topics