Northern Virginia: rec for a reliable refinish?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by cardinal, Apr 18, 2016.

1. cardinal

cardinal Supporting Member

If I have to ship the bass, it's not a huge deal, but it'd be nice to avoid it.

I have a Spector NS5 I'd like refinished in a solid metallic color (something like the classic Gibson goldtop). Poly would be fine (the original finish is poly and still intact). I'd lean toward just scuffing and spraying over the original poly, but I could be convinced to completely strip it and refinish.

Only potential complication is that the Spector NS is neck-through and has a curved body both front and back, so it might not be a good project for the inexperienced.

Thanks!

2. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

Action Music in Falls Church should have a few names of guys for finish work. Give them a call.

3. cardinal

4. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

Action would know locally but I'd send it to Bill Crook (Moundsville, WV, practically in our back yard) for a top notch job. I don't know if he's doing any refins on guitars that aren't his or of special interest to him but worth an email, his quality is superb.

5. B. Howard

B. Howard Silver Supporting Member

I could help ya with that.

6. cardinal

Sweet, thanks Brian. I'll shoot you a message about it. I'm trying to decide what to do with it. I know I like the bass (sounds great, no dreaded G-string dead spots), but I hate the current color. I just keep changing my mind on what to do with it.

7. mikesjam

mikesjam Member

Seems like you already got a few solid recs but I'll add one more: PST Guitars in King George. The owner (Scott) runs the business from home and is extremely knowledgeable and talented as a luthier as well. I recommend reaching out to him on facebook, he's great to deal with and takes the time to make sure you fully understand all the work he does to your guitar. http://pstguitars.com/