NOS 12AX7 for Marshall 2204

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by CJReaper, Oct 8, 2008.

1. CJReaper

CJReaper Member

I've got a stock 1982 JCM800 2204 that I LOVE and after going through a bunch of various new production tubes, all bad out of the box, I'm seriously considering some NOS 12AX7s for my amp. Right now I have a Sovtek LPS in V2 and a Sovtek WA in V3, and some generic tube in V1 that just says USA 12AX7A. This combo sounds pretty good but I'm really curious about the NOS tubes. What would you recommend for all three preamp tubes, and where is a good place to buy them?

Cheers,

CJ

2. hamfist

hamfist Member

Mullard or RFT in V1 and V2. You will enjoy the difference !!

I like a long-plate in V3. Try a JJ EC803S to save money (I like these in the PI). Or, if you want to go NOS throughout then a Brimar or GE long plate would be nice.

I just source mine from ebay.

You could try tubetramp (terry_kilgore2003@yahoo.com) or Mike at KCA for more expensive but lower risk tubes. Both of these will certainly be able to give some good recommendations too.

3. stratman_el84

stratman_el84 Member

I'd second Mike at KCA NOS tubes. With others you risk paying a lot of money for a useless-for-guitar-amps tube, or ones that are just bad plain bad...especially when buying off of Ebay. Mike tests each and every tube he sells, and backs up his sales. Plus, Mike can help recommend tubes to get you where you want to go tone-wise while staying in-budget. The guy knows his amps and tubes. :AOK

Cheers!

Strat

4. VintageKnob

VintageKnob Supporting Member

If your new to vintage tubes and you aren't made of money, it's good to get to know a person who deals in them and you can trust who can test them in amps close to what you use to advise you. I'm very fortunate in that respect, but the tubes are sold to his amp clients only.

I just received 3 NOS 12AX7's, two of which where RCA's from '59, one made in Japan, the other in the UK. The UK one has a great grind to it and bright as well, compared to the Japanese one it would be perfect in a Marshall.

Pre-amp tubes are funny little beasts, even within a brand your going to find differences, that to me anyway are very clear.

Just thought I'd share a bit of what I've learned so far, I'm a player not an amp tech for sure. But I'm sure hooked on vintage tubes, if I can I'll always use them first.

- D

5. recto-robbie

recto-robbie Member

Get a hold of Mike at KCA and buy some RFT 12AX7 tubes.
    Real nice.

6. VikingAmps

VikingAmps Member

I've gotten nothing but trash from Terry. When you tell him theyre no good he sends you more trash. That's probably where he finds his tubes too. I've never gotten a bad tube from Mike @ KCA.

7. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

Mullard Mullard and Mullard! :D I run all 60's b-code Mullard short plates in my JCM 800 except for one JAN Philips 12AT7 in my reverb driver.

8. hamfist

hamfist Member

Ah well, that's not my experience of buying from Terry. He does have his unique communication style though !

9. jrigg

jrigg Gold Supporting Member

My recommendations also. I have also used a Mullard 12AT7 in V3 which has a nice effect on the sound, they're cheap compared to 12AX7s too.
    Try one out and see what you think.

10. CJReaper

CJReaper Member

Thanks very much for all the replies!! I'd love to try some Mullards but the only ones I can find are a bit out of my price range. The RFT tubes at KCA look promising and are more in my price range. I'm also really curious about those new TechTube valves from England, hope to hear more about them in a few weeks when they are released.

Cheers,

CJ

11. jrigg

jrigg Gold Supporting Member

Although I prefer Mullards in my '74 50 watter, I really dug the RFTs in my 2204. It was a bit much when I had them in all 3 positions but I definitely liked them in V1 and V2. I used a Mullard ECC81 (12AT7) in V3 with the RFTs.

12. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Funny Ive yet to like the RFT in any of my amps. Perhaps its a Marshall thing? Dont know. I dont hear the less bright/earlier break up characteristics they are supposed to have. Tried trhem in my Rivera,Supersonic,V32,Ultra etc. Ive got about 25 of them so its not a random thing.
    Now a Sylvania short grey plate(mike at KCA has them) is more like what Ive been told the RFT is supposed to be-less bright,early break up.Thats been my experience but like I said maybe its a Marshall thing. Bob

[​IMG]