NOS 12ax7 Score?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by rockon1, Mar 20, 2006.

1. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Just picked these up for 51$. The last one is a black plate too!Yes? No?

[​IMG]

2. brad347

brad347 Member

nice! I picked up a NOS long black plate RCA 12AX7 from a junk store this weekend. $20... cheap for that tube but I expected it to be cheaper in this store... oh well. Win some lose some...

3. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

I can't entirely tell from the photo, but the far-right one may be a Raytheon: are the plates shiny-black? Is there an oddly-shaped partial mica structure on top of the upper mica disk? Halo-getter? Yes = Raytheon.

The "12AX7" lettering on the far left tube looks like a GE-style, even though it says "Tung-Sol." If it is GE, it's still very good, but not a genuine Tung-Sol.

Hope they sound good to you. As long as they function properly, you'll probably enjoy them very much (no comment on the Sylvania, though).

- T

4. Swarty

Swarty Member

The one on the left looks like a GE. The one on the right looks interesting, may be an RCA... ones with plates like that usually sound great, but are often noisey.

5. tybone

tybone Member

Nice Score. Those ge made tung sols are among my favourites in tweed and post tweed fenders. Nice jangly cleans. The Sylvania is a dark magical beauty. Deep mids with rolled off top end. The black plate is beautiful.

6. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Yes the far left is shiny black plate with that funny looking mica on top so I guess its a raytheon The "tung sols" look like my long plate GE's but the "getter" on the tung sol is mostly round with a flat side on the front of the halo.Is that what they mean by a "D" shaped getter? I guess the Sylvania is junk though...

7. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Hey I just noticed two of the Tung Sols have weird shaped getters and the part that is ecthed 12AX& is more like an RCA in a little box?

8. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Heres a pic(left) of one of the two Tung Sols thats different from the one on the right.As I mentioned above the getter looks totally different than the one on the right! Is it a "real" one?[​IMG]

9. Timbre Wolf

The real one is on the left. The one on the right looks like a GE.

- T

10. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Very cool! That means Ive got two real ones-Thanks! Now what to do with em....

11. Timbre Wolf

When it comes down to it, they're all real and good for something - it just depends on your taste and your amp(s). Personally, I favor the Raytheon black-plate for its superb openness/clarity, dynamics, and early-breakup into delicious overtones.

- T

12. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Just tried them out quickly in my JSX V-1 and V-2 spots. The black plate is nice and sounds similar to the long grey plate RCA I have in there. Open and punchy overdriven I guess-I like the attack. The tung sols seemed smoother but Im used to the punch the RCA's deliver.The Sylvania as tybone mentioned is rolled off and would be good for a bright amp. Im still digging the long grey RCA's in the V 2-4 with a long plate GE in the V-1.The long plate RCA's seem to have more mids than the Raytheon or Tung Sol.Im gonna stick with the combo thats in there cause it just sounds tight,punchy and has a fat mid range(almost too much).I think the RCa's are my all around favorites for fattening things up while still being open or articulate. At 10$ a pop I feel like Ive done good!Thanks for all the info! Bob

13. Timbre Wolf

Gulp! I just noticed that two quads of Raytheon black-plates went for over $100 on eBay. Just last year, I was getting quads for less than $30. Zoiks!

Hey, those RCA long gray-plates are excellent - you've got a good thing there, and I'd never question someone else's judgement after they've experienced the good stuff themselves.

You've got good stuff. Its a little addictive, though, isn't it?

- T

14. thintele

thintele Member

I've got 3 of those Tung Sols with the long grey plates...they are my favs

15. rockon1

rockon1 Member

:BEER
    Its VERY additive.lol! BTW-There seems to be one guy on Ebay buying up a lot of stuff. He believe he bought both those quads of raytheons and bidding on a bunch of others too!. I was bidding on them and gave up after 70$....I ended up buying a pair for 38$ (buy it now price)....