NOS 12AX7 suggestions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by rockon1, Feb 17, 2006.

1. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Well Ive tried most of the current production tubes and Im ready(I think) to dip into some NOS/used stuff. I play primarily high gain and they will be tried at first in my JSX. Looking for a tube that will overdrive warm,smooth and not too bright. Also dont want to break the bank. Any thoughts? Thanks Bob

2. mountain blues

mountain blues Member

RFT's are nice for what you're describing.

3. Reactionjackson

Reactionjackson Member

I've ended up trying out a bunch of preamp tubes - and I've almost always (9 times out of 10) resolved that smooth plate Telefunken ECC83's are always the best suited for my 6L6 based amps. They are nice and meaty, articulate, and great for gain.

4. rjmmusic

rjmmusic Member

+1 on the RFTs. They're what you're looking for. I don't use more than one or two in an amp, though - more than that usually makes the amp darker/smoother than I want. I usually put them in the middle positions - not the input stage or PI. For the other tubes, I usually use Mullards, NOS Chinese or maybe a Telefunken if I want to brighten things up.

5. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    +100 on the RFTs. Many guitar players find Telefunkens too bright (and they're over $100 a pop if you can find them).

6. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

I agree 100% on the RFT, strong tubes and fairly cheap.

However, EVERY smooth plate tele I have tried (and there have been more then a few) is the most nuetral clear tube I have heard, especially in V1.
    I love those darn things, you can get pulls at a good deal and some of them are fantastic. Maybe they are brighter in high gain situations?

7. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Hmmm. Sounds like these RFT's are what Im looking for. I'd hate to pony up a lot of dough for telefunkens and find them too bright! Im actually pleased with the JJ ECC803s Im using but I have to know if the NOS thing is hype or not. If KCA NOS has these I guess Ill give em a shot.

8. rockon1

rockon1 Member

While Im at it does anybody know about these? They are supposedly "grey plates with halo getters for 80$ for both.

[​IMG]

9. rockon1

rockon1 Member

anybody?

10. bryan k

bryan k Member

those are great tubes, but they are very bright and crisp. If your looking for dark and fat tones.....those do the opposite. the RCA's have great drive and gain, but they are BRIGHT, and upfront.

11. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Thanks! I guess they arent for me then!

12. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Bob -

While I agree with all the others' recommendations for the RFT ECC83 (get one, everyone should have one), I'd also like to mention another contender - RCA '50s long black-plate/square-getter 12AX7. It is fat and articulate, without being too bright. You'll hear a lot more "string" with this RCA than with the RFT. While you could "break the bank" trying to purchase one, you don't have to. Patient eBaying can get you a new-testing sample for under $20. If you try it and you like it, then you can buy NOS (for more), over time. And if doesn't suit you (not likely), you won't have spent too much.

The RCA 12AX7A short gray-plate that you're asking about above - my experience with these is that they have good dynamics, very prominent bass response (almost tubby, but still solid), somewhat scooped mids, and bright, almost harsh highs that are less distinct than any other RCA 12AX7 type. They're okay, but for $40 each (I've averaged $12 each for more than 10 like-new samples), I'd recommend another choice (such as a Tungsram ECC83, which is more tonally balanced and articulate).

Have fun!

- T

13. Srini

Srini Guest

Based on Mike's suggestion, I got Mullards for a warm sound, and thats exactly what they are...

Srini

14. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

You can really never go wrong with a good Mullard, they are the sheet.

15. scottywompas

scottywompas Member

I'm curious,

Since we all seem to think NOS stuff is so good and current production stuff sucks, In twenty years are we going to be saying " hey I just scored some NOS GTEL34's that were made back in the 90's."

Just a thought.

:BEER

16. clunk

clunk Member

+1 on the RFT's.

Clunk

17. BozoTone

BozoTone Member

+1 on the Tesla (NOT JJ) E83CC.....

18. rockon1

rockon1 Member

I also dont know if NOS is really that much better than current production. I do want to find out though. : > )

19. LarryN

LarryN Member

I haven't tried the RFT's but the Tungsram is a great, versatile, balanced sounding tube, IMO. I like them for higher-gain and clean. I once bought a Peavey tube amp (new) with two in it, along with Phillips double-getter 6L6's. Aaahh, the good old days.

20. LarryN

LarryN Member

Has anyone here tried the JJ ECC803S with long plates?