NOS 6L6GC/7581A choices for Blackface Super Reverb

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by EXP, Jul 14, 2008.

1. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

I want to swap out the Tungsol 5881's in my Super (yeah I know they cant handle the plate voltage. :eek:) I just got the amp and want some good NOS not current production 6L6GC's or 7581A's. There are so many tube choices out there I cant decide what to get for BIG bottom end and a smooth creamy breakup.

The last tubes I tried were the tall bottle Sylvania 6L6GC's and the tube change before that - Philips ECG 6L6GC's. Here's what Ive narrowed my choices down to:

Sylvania STR-387
    Philips 7581A's
    GE 7581A's (pink base)

BFSR owners, which american glass would you choose? :)

2. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

All are good choices - it just depends on what tone you want. Are you specifically looking for more headroom with the 7581s? They will have a bit more headroom than the Sylvania STRs. I'd personally lean towards those, of those three.

3. clamdip7714

clamdip7714 Guest

The Philip JAN 7581a were a great choice for my old 60s Gretsch. They last forever.

4. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

Thats just it, it was my understanding that the Philips and the Sylvania STR-387 are the same tube. I was told that ANY fat/tall bottle single top getter tube from Sylvania is the 387 design, stenciled or not. ANY twin disc fat/tall bottle is the 415 though sometimes marked 387.

5. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Hmm - I'm not sure. I didn't think they were the same tube but - that's a possibility. The Philips plant in Emporium made most of the JAN stuff - and is a Sylvania plant. So the same stuff was made side by side. So, what you say could be true. That might be worth asking Mike at KCA NOS Tubes.

6. albuht813

albuht813 Member

pardon my lack of knowledge in this area, but aren't RCA blackplates supposed to be one the best 6L6 ever made?

7. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

Yes to alot of people they are considered the cream of the crop. I think they are a little softer in the bottom personally.

8. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Try them all. You can get all the opinions in the world and they won't equal your personal experience.

9. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

I have to find them first.;)

10. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

Good point. Yes, they are...one of the best. This is an area (NOS tubes) where there seems to be a lot of parity though, where one tube may not be "better" than another so much as they are "different" from one another. That's why Mike recommends trying a few and using your own ears to determine which tone you like. Most well known NOS tubes are going to sound superb and last a good long while...much longer than the new crop of "boutique" tubes. Although many of the new tubes do sound about as good as some NOS tubes.
    To get back to your original question, the RCA blackplates are one of the most popular, most sought after, therefore most rare, and furthermore, most expensive of the NOS tubes with current prices at about $400. a matched pair. The corresponding Sylvanias, GEs, Tung Sols, Phillips, etc. are just as good but may have a different tone that emphasizes different frequencies vs the RCAs and will cost somewhat less. I'm bettin' you'll like about any of 'em just fine.

Tom

11. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

I think Im splitting hairs here, obviously the Sylvania STR's and the Philips 7581A's are similar, same company same equipment. The 7581A's are just military spec 6L6GC's that have been tested rated at 35 watts. I dont see enough difference to warrant paying the ridiculous creeping market value of NOS Philips. Albeit the Philips may have a bit more headroom and later break up and as of right now Im scouring for 7581A's. I know these will have the BIG bottom end, punch, and low end thump Im looking for.

Its the GE's I know little to nothing about, these sound like a stellar tube for a Super Reverb.

12. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

13. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

14. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

Thanks for the link, I have seen the GE's at one other place. That settles it GE pink bases and a pair of STR-387's it is or Philips if I can find them at a reasonable price.:)

15. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

Out of stock.

16. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Let me know which ones you're looking for (for sure). I have lots of unmatched singles I haven't gotten around to trying to match yet.

Please use email if you're interested.

17. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

Email sent.