• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

NOS 6V6 ID Help Needed

Phil Divine

A friend of mine gave me these today. Haven't tried them yet, but I thought I would ask the experts what exactly I have.

This one is branded GE

And has this Made in Canada stamp on the glass.

And this one branded RCA with a similar logo on the back, but inside the octagon it says 6V6 GT.

And finally this one, that to me just looks straght up cool. I don't think I've ever seen one of these. In fact I know I haven't.

If anyone could ID these, and share experiences or thoughts about how these rate, it would be greatly appreciated.

the rca is an old blackplate. a great tube . the 50l6 is some weird old thing. give it a miss. the 6p6p is a russian cold war equivalent of a 6v6, with all the quality that russian products were famed for
brett

Swarty

The 50L6 has a 50v filament and may indeed have some application in some cheapo power-transformerless guitar amps.

Phil Divine

I think he was talking to me.

Well I origninally had a Sylvania in the amp. The Sylvania is as the reviews of it state, more upper mid and top heavy. Nice and smooth with almost a more Marshall type voice than the others. Weird, but that's how we heard it.

The Russian was harder, had grind, and frankly didn't spend muc time in the amp. I think the symbol on the left translates into "try a" and the one on the right translates into "RCA"

The RCA is the champ. Sounds like, well, a champ. Bigger bottom, bigger top, and somehow more mid heavy as well. Very American. It's also more fatiguing to the ear, but it has a great voice to it.

From what I've read I need to try a Ken Rad and Brimar next. Also interested in a Westinghouse. That's the beauty of a single 6v6 amp. Don't cost a lot to go through them all. My 4 6CA7 rig, on the other hand...

Trending Topics