NOS defined!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by HHB, Mar 18, 2006.

1. HHB

HHB Member

2. jayhawk

jayhawk Member

Another well informed music store. :rolleyes:

It blows my mind that people complain about Gibson's prices but you don't hear a peep about Fender charging $5k for a friggin' strat. :confused:

3. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Armchair Rocket Scientist Graffiti Existentialist Gold Supporting Member

From the site:

Note: N.O.S. (NOS) stands for "New Old-Style". This means the guitar has been recently built using the latest guitar luthier equipment and techniques, but the guitar is designed and styled after a historic model and year. Some NOS guitars are even worn as if they have been around through years of light use. NOS guitars are built by the custom shop crew and represent the highest quality instruments produced by a given manufacturer.

That's pretty sad. Seller should be forced to crawl over a footbal field sprinkled with the shattered fragments of N.O.S. tubes.

Note: N.O.S. (NOS) stands for "New-Old-Sharp"

4. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

I was just talking to Chris Fleming of the Fender Custom Shop last week. I'm sure he'd be intrigued to know that NOS doesn't mean New Old Stock... ha ha ha...I'll have tell him about that one next time I see him... too funny.

5. HHB

HHB Member

yeah, I dig that guitar but 5k makes it out of reach, I've decided to make one from parts and attempt to finish it myself ( if it sucks I will burn it w/ Ronsons and thus have a "Jimi @ Monteray" LOL )

6. mockoman

mockoman Member

7. Nativ H

Nativ H Member

I'm surprised that this new definition hasn't been picked up by the new Mullard EL34's yet. Probably will be soon. :NUTS

8. guitonit

guitonit Member

Hmm.. the guys at Banana's are usually on top of things. Must have been a slip up.

Scott A.

9. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

It is an undefined acronym, in the broader context, so the user can assign 'whatever'. I don't expect to find any old/new guitars. But I have a bunch of old stuff that YOU could buy and call "new to you!"
    New (to you)
    Old (yup, for sure, mate)
    Stuff (mojo included, or optional):)

10. BananAlan

BananAlan Member

Hmmm.... well I appreciate the comments. Bananas adds hundreds of products a week. Almost all of the content, especially custom products, is supplied by the Manufacturer. This page is in fact taken from Fenders dealer press release on this product. The NOS tag is right on the press release. SO yes Bananas made a mistake in its description, but only because Fender did originally. A quick call to Fender and they confirmed for a short while they were not sure about using the term New Old Stock and were considering New Old Style. Anyway, glad it gave a giggle or two. Bananas does strive to give the best information, the best service, selection and prices. Can't say we are all perfect... would be a boring world other wise!
    As for price...well thats a whole long discussion as well.... It is amazing what they get for guitars these days and yet... the Public still buys them up. Supply and demand I guess.
    Anyway... thanks again for the heads up everyone!

Alan Rosen
    General Manager, Bananas at Large

11. HHB

HHB Member

no offense meant Alan, just a giggle, perhaps I should put in an application @ Fender

12. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

13. BananAlan

BananAlan Member

No offense taken. If you can't take a ribbing in this business you shouldn't be in it! I know we aren't perfect...Kinda like that about us. Loved the Bananas for Stereo links.. maybe thats a promo we should try!