NOS Parts really worth it?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by dascher, Feb 26, 2012.

1. dascher

dascher Member

I've only been a few months and it took me a couple more to figure out what NOS meant :D Obviously theres a bunch of different types of nos parts and I'm guessing their sound quality depends on the what it is. Transistors, tubes, pots, caps, all that good stuff. There must be a point of diminishing return, like to where an $80 cap isnt different enough from a $10 replica to make it worth the price.

So to the question, are NOS parts really worth it? I'm mostly curious related to pots and caps in guitar wiring.

2. V-Type

V-Type Member

Then there are actual recycled used parts avaiable as well.
    I know a guy who buys all kinds of tubed radio,tv sets and other pre 70's electronics just too de soldier all the pieces and sell them as actuall vintage parts.
    Btw he makes a fair amount of coin selling old cloth wire segments too certain builders.

3. mixwiz

mixwiz Member

No, they aren't.

4. Julia343

Julia343 Member

No. they're old.

However, I will be starting to sell NOS lightbulbs on e-bay in a couple years.

5. dascher

dascher Member

So the consensus so far is people who buy them are suckers or ignorant or just extremely optomistic? So very unTGP-like :roll

Anyone want to speak out in favor?

6. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

Depends what parts you are referring too. Trannies? Absolutely. Tubes? Absolutely. Caps and switches? Not a chance.

7. Tidewater Custom Shop

Tidewater Custom Shop Performance Enhancing Guitarworks Supporting Member

This - but I'll add that I do prefer vintage caps. Maybe it's just mojo, but I'm always looking for good deals on .022µF Sprague Bumblebees and .05 and .1µF ceramic discs for guitars.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  8. dascher

dascher Member

Makes sense, I can see why tubes would be better cause they really arent used for too much now. But with caps and switches it seems like the manufacturing process would be much better now. I saw some caps going for like $80 a piece on this site:bonk

9. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

You should never use NOS caps. Not on any expensive, vintage amp you care about. lol

10. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

NOS tubes are by far better made then current production crap. In my opinion anyway.

11. shane88

shane88 Member

12. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

If you are a collector and have some dream vintage tone you are looking for along with an endless supply of money to bag on it, then yeah, it is worth the peace of mind of knowing you did everything "authentic", even if it really has nothing more than an imagined effect on the actual sound.

But if you are just a guitar player and just want to play guitar, there is plenty of inexpensive new new stock out there that does the job extremely well.

13. Shiny_Beast

Shiny_Beast Member

Agree, if you are trying to recreate a vintage tone or a vintage amp, get the vintage parts, if for no other reasons that just to be sure.

Personally I beleive in te secret life of caps and resistors, many don't. I've read a bunch of reasons why caps can sound diffferent from one another, not so much on resistors.

A test I did with different brand resistors on tube plates, one stnd, one nos, one booteek, seemed to yield a difference IMO. No scientific process, I can't defend it, but I'm convinced, for all it matters.

I think a good amp will sound good though regardless of the make/type/brand of teh caps and resistors, unless they use metal oxide resistors...

14. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

You guys really think there is no difference in tone between tubes? LMAO

Cheap bastards. Buy some decent tubes and see for yourselves. lol

15. Telefunky

Telefunky Member

Excellent thread so far!

The BOUTIQUE components of today sound comparable to the CHEAP stuff from decades ago, with a few notable exceptions.

Primarily: tubes, speakers, pickups. What made the vintage rigs so amazing is the sum of ALL the parts.

Even if you were a millionaire, it is just physically impossible to build a guitar and amp that sound as good as the production stuff from the 50's.

Current government regulations prohibit access to older trees, so guitar and cabinet makers are forced to use 'green' woods which are musically undesirable.

Metallurgy has undergone changes as well, and magnets are made by a slightly different process today, which diminishes the tonal qualities in pickups, speakers, and transformers.

So that's basically the entire guitar and amp rig down the drain. Finally, there are no tubes produced today that sound anywhere NEAR as good as the older production tubes.

That's a general run-down. PM me with any questions about specific parts and I'll be happy to share my experiences. Best wishes to all.

16. shane88

shane88 Member

it's highly subjective - what sounds better is just an opinion

@ a gig it's highly unlikely someone will walk up to you and say your tone's terrible because you ain't using nos whatever - "man i can't believe you're using stock caps in that strat, ur tone sucks" - most working musos struggle thru on midrange gear the poor bastards

17. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

Brilliantly stated. My aversion to old caps is merely their propensity for leaking and the damage that can be done to your amp from leaky caps. Smoke an original tranny in your '67 Brownface Deluxe and your screwed.

18. MrDoty

MrDoty Supporting Member

i could get behind the tube stuff. but guitars, yes you can make a guitar today that sounds BETTER than a 50's instrument. and it will play much better and stay IN TUNE!!:hide2

19. Space Hammer

Space Hammer Member

I guess i can understand why someone would want to put old/NOS cap or components into a new amp/build - however if i was going to build a amp from scratch i'd use all new components

Rebuilding/maintaing a vintage amp? now that's totally different, I'd work hard to find a original switch, socket etc to replace a failed component.

20. Telefunky

Telefunky Member

Lol! No need to hide, Mr. Doty!

I am curious as to why you believe that one could build better guitars today than 50 years ago... If you wouldn't mind sharing, I promise not to blast you!:brick

As for the tuning issue, I can promise that vintage guitars stay in tune perfectly, if you know how to string them properly.

I did a 2 month tour with an all original 1958 Strat (tobacco burst) and almost never touched the tuning pegs. And yes, I used the whammy bar.