NOS Phillips Miniwatt EL34's

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by samwheat, Oct 1, 2005.

1. samwheat

samwheat Member

NOS, untested, new in box, Phillips Miniwatt EL34 .... XF2 B7C1 date codes ...... should I grab 'em? ...... are these Mullards?

2. cleansed leper

cleansed leper Member

XF2 usually denotes that they are Mullards.

3. Reeek

Reeek Member

Blue Strat would know more but I seem to recall that XF2's are more desirable than XF4's too. Sounds like a good snag depending on the price.

4. poutserman

poutserman Member

Philips was Mullards parent company.All XF codes are Mullards,with xfi's and xf2's being the most desirable.

5. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Yep, the "B" denotes Mullard's Blackburn factory.

Untested? Good luck.

6. larc

larc Member

Definitely one of the better eras too.

I imagine these tubes aren't being sold cheap. Wouldn't buy them unless the seller is willing to provide a full refund that guarantees the tubes test good and meet NOS specs.

If you're buying these off Ebay, another thing you should consider is if they're matched. Most Ebay sellers claiming matched power tubes do not test their tubes under high enough voltages. Chances are, by the time you put them in your amp, they'll drift apart considerably. I like my power tubes tightly matched (3 mAs or closer). If the seller uses a tester like a Maxi-Matcher, then he's more likely to have success in providing matched pairs.