NOS Preamp tube Recommendations Needed....All Opinions Welcome

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by loudgtr, Sep 23, 2006.

1. loudgtr

loudgtr Member

I have got a Soldano Avenger 50W with no loop.

Going for Clapton tones. I'm a guitar-> cable-> amp kinda guy and have little experience with NOS tubes. The one experience that I have is with a NOS Tesla E83CC and it was great, what a difference!

I was thinking of Tungsram specifically after reading some good reviews about it. Maybe an RFT...but I am open to any suggestions, much appreciated guys. Thanks.

2. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

mullard mullard mullard.. oh yeah, and Amperex!

3. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

I have always been a fan of Philips. Been using them since before they were "NOS" ;)

4. loudgtr

loudgtr Member

Well, I'm on a bit of a budget though. If I can snag a deal on those, I'll try them out. No experience with tubes means no Ebay for me. Just KCA or Tubemonger. "Money no option" recommendations still welcome!

More suggestions please:)

5. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    RFTs are good for earlier breakup (probably not necessary in a high gain amp) and less brightness.

If you liked the Tesla E83CC the Tungsram is probably a good choice. Also, the RCA and GEs.

6. Srini

Srini Guest

Mullard....:) For me anyway, they're the fattest, warmest sounding, and even a guy with less than discerning hearing like myself can tell the difference.

Srini

7. Blueser

Blueser Member

Mullard Shield Logo from the 60's, and Telefunken Ribbed Plates are tied for my all time favorites.

8. el34power

el34power Member

.......he said on a budget:)

I'll put in a vote for the RFT. Sounds great in the JCM800

9. tradarama

tradarama www.PRIMEGUITARS.com Silver Supporting Member

I really like them in my Diezel and SLO. If you get them and don't like them I'll buy them off you. Jim

10. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

In my experience, the Tungsram ECC83 is in the same ballpark as Mullard short-plate 12AX7A (with the I63 type code, not the I61 that I believe Blueser is recommending). But the Tungsram has more solidly-defined, tight lows, and a tad greater clarity. I've checked them from all angles, and I definitely prefer Tungsrams to '60s and '70s Mullards. Long-plate Mullards are a different thing all together, and if you can come up with one of those, you'll probably never be satisfied with another 12AX7.

You've already got the Tesla E83CC, which has superb clarity, with an overall bright and clean character. Don't know how you'd be going wrong using that.

From what I understand of Clapton's "woman tone," (assuming this is what you're referring to) you simply turn your tone way down and dial up the gain 'til its very overdriven. I'd think you want to retain the clarity and brightness, using the Tesla. Second choice, from those already mentioned, would be the Tungsram. Short-plate Mullards... save your money for something better (my opinion).

The RFT ECC83 could work as well, but you'll probably want to leave the tone knob a bit more towards the treble zone. This tube fosters easier breakup, while rolling off highs noticeably. The low end will no longer be as solid/tight as with the other tubes mentioned. This is a good tube to have on hand for a NOS collection, because it is quite unique.

- Thom

11. soldano16

soldano16 Member

Depends on how high gain you are. I bought some NOS RFT's for my Soldano and wasn't thrilled. I lost what clean I had.

12. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

True. High gain (which, in itself ,has NOTHING to do with distortion/overdrive) amps used for distorted tones, rarely need tubes that break up early. Unless you've got the amp set for maximum distortion and want more (so no one but you knows what notes you're playing? ;)) you don't need RFTs.

13. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

I would try a variety of new tubes first, there is a pretty decent selection out there (JJ, Chinese, Sovtek, Electroharmonix, the new 'Tung Sol', etc).

If that doesn't get you where you want to be, then probably it is something else in the signal chain that needs to be changed, not the preamp tubes (guitar, pedals, amp, speakers).

14. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Also use a wah cocked back. As for tubes-who knows!? Not even sure what Clapton tone he was refering to. As for personal favs I keep going back to my long plate GE's Nice amount of "hair",smooth top end......Hey! I have a crazy idea. A pre amp tube "breakout box". You could plug the breakout box into the first 2 or 3 positions in your amp and toggle between say,perhaps 3 or 4 different sets of 12AX7's! It should be very simple to make and would be a tube tweakers delight!:dude

15. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

Haha... that's a cool idea. Who's got the know how to get 'er done though?

My all around favorite preamp is Tungsram. It's not in every position of every amp I have but it's used enough to be called my favorite. Try one and see what ya think.

16. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Doesnt seem that difficult really. A bunch of socket and switches. I think the switching would be the hardest part.....

17. loudgtr

loudgtr Member

Thanks guys for all the input. I really appreciate it. :)

I think the Tesla E83CC is probabley my best choice but Ill have to try some Tungsram and see. Timbre Wolf's description of the tubes clarity and clean character are bang on. Fantastic in the amp!

Blue Strat's suggestion that the 'RFT is probabley not necessary in a high gain amp' was my gut feeling as well, so it was good to hear this.

The Clapton tone or sound I was refering to was ( hope this makes sense) and remember Soldano's are High Gain and controls go to 11 ==> Gain @ 4.5 Bass @ 6.5 Treble and mids and Presence @ 3.5 Master @ 4 - 7.

For VH type sound (Basically I've always found them similar in EQ just more Gain) I just increase the Gain (5.5) and Treble and Pres. a bit and maybe a little bit from the Depth knob depending on how loud I'm playing.
    I do like the low end to remain tight and solid as well.

I think I'll just stick with getting some more of the Tesla's and trying out some Tungsram as well. While I'm at, some GE and RCA's too:BEER

18. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

That IS an excellent idea. However, if you've ever seen how much effect moving one wire 1/2" or shortening a wire by 1" has on the performance of a a tube amp....

19. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Yeah I guess the 'mechanics" involved wouldn't allow for it eh? Oh well,it
    would be cool though. I wonder if shielded wire would overcome some of that?...

20. go7

go7 Member

+1 Tesla. Tubemonger has the A frame. Any nos is probably a good tube it`s just finding your tone preferance. Good luck!!