1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

NOS RCA/TRW Caps.. what're they made of?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Mickey_C, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Mickey_C

Mickey_C The Original Racketeer

Has anybody seen these caps before?

[​IMG]

They're out there under several names, but they all look kinda like the Sprague bumble-bee caps to me. The ones in the picture are marked TRW, .063uf and they're 400V capacitors. Clearly NOS.

Here's some marked RCA, .01uf 400V.
    [​IMG]

Any experience with them? What are they made of? Are they foil flim? How do they compare to the mustard caps?

Thanks,
    Mickey

PS - Here's some bumble bees for comparison:
    [​IMG]

2. mr coffee

mr coffee Gold Supporting Member

I've never cut one open but I'd say poly... they sound great!

3. Damon

Damon Member

I have some labeled Good-All. Polyester film & aluminum foil. Check out some chassis shots of early Marantz tube Hi-Fi gear, they're in there alongside the Bees. Mine have held within spec better than most Bees, too.

4. Mickey_C

I wonder how they compare to the Mustard caps. I just can't really get anymore... they've gone nuts on ebay now (over $10.00 per cap).

I can get truckloads of these ones though, and cheaper even than the Mallory150M series.

5. mr coffee

6. Mickey_C

HOLY MOTHER LODE! They're $10-$15 apiece?

Who'd a guessed?

7. mr coffee

8. VintageJon

VintageJon Member

Mallory 150M? Huh?
    Maybe it's just the players I work for but everyone in Austin likes the Sprague type 715 a lot better than the Mullard 150M! We are taking about some really good ears here too- Boomer Norman, Pete Mitchell, Redd Volkhart, Tim Kerr, Louis Myers, just a few that come to mind...

But if you prefer the sound of the Mallory 150M you should have it! It's YOUR TONE after all. Of course I keep the Mallory 150's for those that want them- as Mao said. "Give the people what they want".

(I'm a 715-man myself, but that's just me...)

-Jon

9. Mickey_C

I don't use the Mallory 150M. I was giving it as a price comparison. Of NIB capacitors, I use the Sozo, or Cornell Dublier.

The amps I have built with the Mullard Mustard caps have been exceptional. I wish I could get them at a decent price. At 10.00 per pop, it's just not worth it. That's even more than the already overpriced Sozo premiums.

Mickey