• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Nos rft terrible?

daryl1gtr

Hello , I have a engl special edition e670 and I purchased 3 rft German 12ax7 tubes . The gain was minimal and they sounded absolutely terrible. Is this normal for the german ones with very large red lettering on them ?one of them had a very bright white light spot on plate and the other 2 glow orange with 2 vertical strips and are very bright especially at startup, do I just have bad luck with all 3 or are the ones with the large red letters on glass a bad brand? Thank you in advance

ddog

Gold Supporting Member
redplating is what it sounds like and thats not good...there done...sometimes ive found tubes just need to warm up if they have sat and are nos tubes

Troglite

In general, rft’s are typically dark, compressed, and break up rather easily. Whether that sounds good will vary wildly depending on the specific amp and the player’s personal preferences.

Your physical descriptions do imply there could be a malfunction /fault. I don’t know enough to help you determine the specific models you have or if they are legitimate nos or if they are damaged.

Troglite

Circling back to this thread.

I recently acquired an RFT valve from Doug’s Tubes. My first attempt to roll it in sounded awful (V2 position). Blanket on amp effect. Muffled. Awful.

But I noticed that if I compensated for the darkness in the tone stack, it sounded sweet. So, I swapped out the long plate mullard I had in V1 for a GE long plate. Night and day difference.

So for my particular amp, the dark rfc benefitted from having a bright, high gain valve In front of it. I know my mullard sounds awesome … but not a good pairing with the rfc in this particular circuit. BTW, that same GE sounds terrible in V2 in this amp. Just emphasizing how specific matching circuits and combinations of tubes can be. The RFC is unusually dark. It’s not subtle and that adds to the challenge.

i eventually coaxed the exact tone I was looking for from the rfc, but it took some effort to figure out and required changes I didn’t anticipate.
Hope these observations help the OP.

Last edited: