NOS Siemens vs. SED Winged C EL34s

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by telewacker, May 25, 2005.

1. telewacker

telewacker Supporting Member

The NOS tubes are about twice the price, still about the third of NOS Mullards though. I'm using the SEDs now in my Guytron (4xEL34), and I'm wondering if the Siemens are worth the extra $$. The thing about the Guytron is most of the OD comes from the EL84s in the first stage, so it mostly a question of the clean sound of these NOS tubes. Noticeably better then the Winged Cs? Anyone have any opinions?

Also the amp is run at least an avereage of four hours a day, so tube life is an issue too. Thanks in advance.

2. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

My personal preference is Siemens 34s to any new 34. The one new 34 I actually like are the Chinese EL34B.

3. telewacker

I got the Winged Cs at the behest of Guy Hedrick, the amps designer. The improvement over the Sovteks that were in there was like night and day, although I'm sure they were played out. I guess I ought to thrown down and buy the Siemens and hear for myself.

4. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

My favorite bang for the buck "EL34" is the EH 6CA7. Its cleans are wonderful and they only run about $25/pair.

5. telewacker

Well the Siemens are on the way I'm $137 poorer. Fortunately I can write off all this stuff! :D

6. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Not in my book. The SED's are an extremely good sounding tube, IMO.

7. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

I've got the SED's in my Lonestar good tubes.

The Siemens are myles above any current made Tube though.

I may have to bag me a quad of em. Where di you get em and how many did you get?

8. telewacker

I got them from Angela's. I bought one quartet.

Interesting variety of opinions. I'm really curious to hear them now.

9. SQUAREHEAD

SQUAREHEAD Member

Siemens are my fav's too!!

10. Greggy

Greggy Member

Ditto on the Chinese EL34B. Put one in my Allen Class Act, bright and clear, but not brittle. The Svetlana EL34 is also a winner in the Allen. Just ordered a bunch of new production el34s and these 2 were the best.

11. Gearhead

Gearhead Member

How are the the EH 6CA7 and the Chinese EL34B when in overdrive - both preamp and power tube distortion? I like El-34 cleans, but find myself in some level of overdrive up to distortion 80% of the time.

As far as NOS EL-34s, you might want to try the Teslas (the one's from 12-15 years ago, NOT the current JJ/Teslas). They're in the 100 per matched pair arena, and I love them. They are just so warm, yet crisp, when pushed.

12. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

The EH 6CA7 is very articulate when pushed (definitely not muddy) but doesn't crunch quite like the EH EL34L.

13. Blueser

Blueser Member

Just be careful with the Siemens. I heard that they don't handle higher plate voltages. I thought I read somewhere that they top out at just under 500 plate volts. I was told that a Bogner Shiva would burn them up.

14. Igneous

Igneous Supporting Member

Brimar are comparable too. Someone just sold like 8 quads on ebay. Wish I had cash.

I personally went from sed's (which I like better than any EH(supposed both "mullard" design)- to The New sensor mullard clones.

They look identical to my sevts(same factory even, I think) however, sound waay different. Ive never tried NOS but these are plentifull in supply and I dont have to worry about burning them in like I do my select Ax7's.

They sound 3d in nature with a cool mid hump. Very worth it. Give em a try. You wont be disappointed.

:dude

cheers-IG

15. sampleinajar

sampleinajar Member

I am with Ed D. here, and I would pick the Siemens over any new El34. That said, the SEDs are quite nice. I much prefer the older SEDs to the regular EH tubes. Haven't heard the "new mullards" yet or the EL34B that Ed mentioned. I have some JJ E34Ls that I just purchased, but haven't tried yet. Many rave over this tube too.

Cheers,

Steve

16. adrenalinejunky

adrenalinejunky Supporting Member

+1 they're Definitely worth the money IMHO.

17. Igneous

Igneous Supporting Member

Any info on the chinese? I couldnt find any...

18. Roodboy

Roodboy Supporting Member

Is the Chinese tube you are talking about the Ruby EL34BSTR?
    If so I have 'em and love'em in a Marshall TSL 122 great crunch and good bass thump. Kind of a modern tone, but then again thats what the TSL gets.

19. '63-Strat

'63-Strat Guest

While I've heard the same thing, I've got Siemens in my XTC-C and have had no probs. SQUAREHEAD uses 'em in his xtc too and the plate voltage is definitely higher than 500. Apparently Siemens were the original EL34s Reinhold used in the XTCs and then moved to Svets due to availability (and cost, I'd assume).

20. sabbath90

sabbath90 Member

my favorite new production el34 is the JJ e34l. i find those to outstanding in my framus. it's my only el34 based amp that runs el34s though (all my marshalls run kt88s now) so maybe its just that amp. might wanna give em a try anyway...they're cheap.