NOS tubes for Victoria 20112

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by lespaulnmarshall, May 9, 2016.

1. lespaulnmarshall

lespaulnmarshall Member

Hi Everyone,
    I bought a Victoria 20112 last week. I put in a Celestion blue right away and that absolutely sounds amazing! I just need a little bit more high end with the band and was hoping to achieve that with tubes. My tech offered me some RCA GE and Philips 12ax7's and an RCA 12ay7. I already got a GE for V2 and I am looking to experiment with a 12ax7 for V1 as an alternative to the 12ay7. I was wondering which of the brands I was offered by my tech (RCA, GE, Philips) would be my best bet? My tech said the Philips are the brightest, but I was looking for some more experience before I pull the trigger on one brand. Also getting some RCA 6V6's for the power section.

Thanks!

2. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Best bet it to try as many as possible. Not everyone describes the same things the same way.

noctilux1 and lespaulnmarshall like this.
  3. lespaulnmarshall

lespaulnmarshall Member

Thnaks! That is a good point! I've experienced so many times how one person can tell me piece of gear X is the best thing ever, but when giving it a try myself I totally hate it. And same happens the other way around too of course. There also isn't a ton of info available online on different tubes' sounds I saw, probably for that reason.

I'm thinking about just getting the RCA and Philips (I have a GE already, and a philips for that matter but I am unsure of it's condition). They're decently priced so I'll just try both :) Thanks!

4. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

To add to the mystery, there are US and European Philips tubes with completely different characters...and multiple types of each of those as well. Same for RCA, GE and other brands. Then there are tubes labeled X company but actually manufactured by Y company, and others labeled X which are made by company X OR company Z! It's not quite as simple as it seems. ;)

Timbre Wolf and lespaulnmarshall like this.
  5. lespaulnmarshall

lespaulnmarshall Member

I read about that. I guess using your ears is the best way to go in this case :)

6. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Yep, blind tests are more reliable anyway. When you figure out which ones you like, THEN try to identify what they really are (posting closeup photos here will help) so you know what you need for future reference.

7. lespaulnmarshall

lespaulnmarshall Member

Sounds like a good strategy! Thanks!

8. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Probably - if you're talking about Philips short-plate ECC83 (I65 or I66 type code) made in Heerlen, NL (slanted triangle factory code). Ask your tech if that's what he's offering. And ask which of the 4-5 types of GE 12AX7 he's comparing with which of the 6-7 types of RCA 12AX7 (to compare with which of the 4-5 types of Heerlen Philips ECC83).

I agree. And I agree that, in order to have a meaningful discussion, all participants have to know which version of which manufacturer's tube is being discussed.

- Thom

RussB, 71strat and lespaulnmarshall like this.